Background Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Music

Ok there seem to be a lot of people that need music in the background for everything. Parties, doing work whatever people seem to be afraid of the quiet. First off I'm sorry but most of the music people listen to sounds like absolute shit. And usually people play it way too loud anyways.

Music and honestly lots of other noise tires me out sometimes. When the music stops and there's that brief moment in between songs I feel tension immediately leave me my body and I become more relaxed. There is an actual physical feeling when in me when the music stops.

This is part of why I don't like going to parties because heaven forbid people stand around and talk with each other without music in the background. I am actually starting to believe the theory it's because people are afraid of their own thoughts.

And the thing is if you do ask for the music to go off for even 5 minutes you have to listen to every bitch and whine about the music being off. Despite them getting to listen to what they want for however long when it comes my turn my choice is less valid.

Hell I'll start requesting 4'33"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3

The worst part is when people argue over which music to listen to further adding to my tension, if I have to listen to music can we just pick something and get on with it.

Before anything else, you have to recognize, whether you approve of it or not, the distinction between listening to music and having it on for background. Also the substantial difference between selecting from among the available backgrounds and having none at all. (And stuff like 4'33" is cheating.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I had to step outside of a NYE party many years ago way too many times, I just could not hear myself think let alone hear the person next to me talking. Though I am not sure about the idea of a party without music, just not so damn over powering you can hear it down the street when you go out for an extended breather like I did.

Mind you it was also coming off a TV speaker via an mp3 CD in the DVD player not a HiFi setup, that might have helped being designed to be turned up loud and all.

Comment

That's part of the reason I dislike Applebees. Not only do they have to play their music REALLY REALLY LOUD, but the music they play is loud and obnoxious on it's own (like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, ect). Yeah, way to be cool and hip by playing utter crap.

I also remember seeing a firework show a couple of months ago. They just had to blast music over the fireworks. It was tolerable music, but so unnecessary since the only music you need are the fireworks and sound of the audience going oo and ah.

Comment

I run background music while I'm working. You can hear it at my desk and sort of hear it from the nearby desks, and not hear it at all by the time you get two desks away.

I work better with music on. It makes me happy, improves my mood, and thus improves my productivity. It also provides something else for my mind to focus on so that I don't fall asleep because, let's face it, data entry is boring as shit.

As for parties, well... what the host wants, the host gets. Although, I also don't get the need to have music so loud that you cannot think unless the music is the whole focus.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The times I've been out with captain dickhead and attempted to talk in a semi quiet place, only for it to be a one sided conversation, then round the night off in either a nightclub or a late bar with loud music.

Now, now is the time you decide to have a conversation where all I can do is say "WHAT?!"

Comment

Applebee's sort of makes sense. As I understand it, the goals of music in such a place are 1) to make conversations more private, so you're not hearing other tables and vice versa, and 2) to be just *slightly* too loud/annoying; the goal is to make you just uncomfortable enough to leave when you're done eating without realizing you were uncomfortable. Apparently, they missed the mark.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It depends on the music and situation. If I'm at a club, I expect loud music constantly going. If I'm at a party, I expect music to be playing, but not so loud that I can't have a conversation. Music energizes me so I love having music playing no matter where I am. When I'm at my desk at work, I have music going. When I'm in the lab, I have music playing.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'm the type of person that can't stand to work in utter silence. I enjoy listening to my radio at a reasonable level from nine to eleven.

Comment

i'm in the "need music to work" group as well. while i may hate the songs they play at work, it keeps the squirrlier parts of my brain distracted from focusing on the minutes draggging by. that last half hour of closing where we kick the radio off (easier to hear customers lurking) is helllish.

that being said, if you have people listening to a bunch of different styles of music and it all lumps together i can see how that would be mindbuggling. if i worked in an office it would be headphones for tunage. (if allowed)
                    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I almost always have music playing in my head unless I'm actually listening to something outside it. Often not *good* music, unless I'm choosing something deliberately; reading this made me realize that what's in there now is one of the background loops from the Uno app, which I was playing four hours ago or more.

Comment

I can not stand silence… at all. I just have to have something playing, whether it's music, movies… documentaries on Bigfoot… it just has to be something, otherwise I go nuts. The only reason I sleep in silence is because I don't have a reliable radio and I don't like having my laptop on more than I need to.

Be that as it may, I do try to keep things at a reasonable volume, whether my bedroom's door is open or closed (I may indulge a bit more if I'm working in the attic/guest room with all of my other computer and art eqipment).
                        "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          I almost always have music playing in my head unless I'm actually listening to something outside it. Often not *good* music, unless I'm choosing something deliberately; reading this made me realize that what's in there now is one of the background loops from the Uno app, which I was playing four hours ago or more.
                          You have a in-head radio too!! Mine's playing the Whistling song from Robin Hood...

My work permits us to listen to music - our job is a very detail-focused, non-customer-facing role. I've only decided not to for the moment because I'm still in training...

Comment

I also prefer music when I'm working. I currently teach abroad, and I always have my YouTube playlist going while I lesson plan. It helps me focus and keeps me entertained... plus, one of my office mates incessantly whistles, which drives me batty, so I can tune that out as well >.>

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              2) to be just *slightly* too loud/annoying; the goal is to make you just uncomfortable enough to leave when you're done eating without realizing you were uncomfortable. Apparently, they missed the mark.
                              I don't know if I believe that. If they wanted you out faster, they'd bring the check faster. Applebees takes forever on that end.

Comment

Working...
                              X