Overseas ads dubbed for local market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas ads dubbed for local market

Aaargghh. I always cringe when I see ads that have obviously dubbed for local markets. Usually the dubbing isn't quite right, or the words used don't mean the same thing here. Like cleaning products used for the 'bathroom' when the footage shows the separate toilet, or using the word 'candy' instead of 'lollies'. But the latest one that seriously pisses me off is for a slushie maker that is being sold online and at one of our big department stores.

The idea of the maker is that you can put any liquid you want into it and by squeezing the sides, will turn the liquid into a slushie. Nice idea, and the product itself seems quite good, but there is no way that I would even consider buying it and it is solely due to the ad.

The ad itself is dubbed very well, the only problem is the words they use. Or more specifically one word, soda. I know what they mean by the word soda, but down under they should be using the term 'soft drink'. In Australia any sweet carbonated drink is known as a soft drink. Soda on the other hand is a carbonated, slightly salty, unflavoured water. Not very appetising as the basis of a slushie.

I could understand if they were dubbing over someone that was speaking to the camera, but in this case the dubbing is of an announcer. That is why every time I see that ad I cringe. Other ads where there is people talking on camera I know they have to dub what is being said, but not where there is an announcer only. WTF?

I would rather they leave the original voices in. At least hearing an American announcer saying 'soda' is a lot better than an Aussie voice saying the same. Do they really think we are idiots with their bad dubbing? You can usually tell before someone speaks where the ad originated, yet they try to make us believe that this ad was made locally, despite the presence of an obviously American style house in the background, or an obviously English post box or road markings. Yeah that car that just drove past that 60 sign is either speeding in a speed zone of 60 km/hr, or more likely travelling at the legal speed of 60 mph.

I know in the world order of things this is not a big problem, but I've been off work sick since last Wednesday and have been signed off until next Monday so I'm watching a lot of TV and this is getting to be irritating.

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Sometimes ads from the US get redubbed here in Canada. English to English. There tends to be no change in words, but a redubbed voice of a recognizable canadian voice artist. (By that I mean that the guy does a lot of ads and tv promos so you can recognize his voice, I do not know who he is) It is a head scratching practice. I have flipped between Canadian TV and American channels and almost seen both ads back to back. There is literally no change in the dialogue or anything. Just this...discomfort of know the Canadian ad has the wrong voice.

I can almost understand if the ad is from the UK or Australia, and i get it when it's in a foreign lanuage, but this is just silly. (Also, i am more amused than annoyed when I see Canadian ads dubbed from English to French or vice versa, it's fun to guess.)

Comment

I can understand if it was an ad not in English, but the continual dubbing of ads that where everyone is speaking English, though not necessarily a local accent is annoying. It's funny, but I've seen the ad that started my rant in it's original American accent, and it doesn't annoy me as much as the dubbed one.

Comment

Regarding the redubbing of ads into the same language: It likely has to do with licensing and royalties issues.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some of the offenders ive encountered are for European brands who may hire actors to do the same advert in numerous languages, then hire voice actors to dub over the English sounding original (as the actors might not know what they are saying other than it sounds French etc).

Others are straight up unsynchronised English where you know it wasn't English to begin with.

Comment

Working...
            X