Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question...

...and no one answers the question.

I posted a question on a TearDrop Trailer forum about whether or not the out-of-state registration process that others have used for homebuilt trailers would work on a trailer that had been titled but the title was lost (and the seller, wife's ex-husband can't be arsed to call the MVA and order a replacement).

What I got back was people telling me that I should build my own trailer from scratch (I can't weld) or should buy a bolt-together-kit trailer and use that (which would be a little more than twice the cost of what the Ex wants for the trailer.

We're talking for a 6x12 trailer for $200 (all I have to do is carve away the rotting pop-up camper on the frame) while a new kit is about $475 and that's only a 5x8 trailer.

Not a single person has yet answered my original question. No one has even come close to it.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

from googling around, it looks like if you have a bill of sale you can register with that, though it might take more paperwork. but best bet may just be to ask the people at the offices where you would register it. if trailers have a serial number like cars, then they may be able to search it in some sort of database.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
      from googling around, it looks like if you have a bill of sale you can register with that, though it might take more paperwork. but best bet may just be to ask the people at the offices where you would register it. if trailers have a serial number like cars, then they may be able to search it in some sort of database.
      Our local MVA says that since it was already titled with them, ownership can't be transferred without the original (or a original copy from the MVA) title with the bill of sale on the back side properly filled out by the seller.

Hence why I was looking to ask the folks on the other site if I could go through an out of state agency.

In this case it's Maine which frequently titles, registers, and plates trailers for out of state residents, including kit-built, homemade, and factory built ones.
      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
        Our local MVA says that since it was already titled with them, ownership can't be transferred without the original (or a original copy from the MVA) title with the bill of sale on the back side properly filled out by the seller.
        That has the potential for a number of shenanigans. First of all, as in your case, the piece of paper can be lost. I assume the physical exchange of cash and trailer has already happened, and you have the bill of sale. What happens if the seller (after all, things can get nasty between former spouses) gets off his ass, orders a replacement copy of the title from the MVA, then fills out the back side properly to sell the trailer (using another bill of sale) to his fishing buddy?

Also, what happens if someone, in good faith, sells a trailer for which they have lost the paper title, orders a replacement from the MVA, and drops dead of a heart attack before it arrives? Their executor doesn't know that they've already sold the trailer, knows somebody who has already seen the trailer (so is willing to buy it sight unseen), and sells it in good faith (that buyer would then have a bill of sale and the properly filled out back of the title). Second buyer comes to collect it, sees it's missing, and reports it stolen.

Comment

Working...
        X