Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer

I have not been very active on the boards due to both of my in-laws having cancer in the past 2 years.

My MIL has fully recovered but, sadly, we lost my FIL a few days ago. I am not sure why I am even posting this other than to say that cancer sucks. He was an immensely talented and generous man and we lost him far too early.

I know it is not logical but I am feeling very bitter about cancer right now. I miss him dearly. I do not even know what else to say.

Originally posted by Glados View Post
    I know it is not logical but I am feeling very bitter about cancer right now. I miss him dearly. I do not even know what else to say.
    Understandable. I know a few people, including very good friends who have died because of cancer. I lost my granddad to it in 2001, and after seeing what it did to him, I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

Not long after 9/11, maybe that October, my granddad suddenly fell ill. His mind was already going--but what the cancer was doing, was very hard to see. Up until then, he was still working in the gardens, sitting out on his deck, watching golf on TV downstairs, etc. Then the cancer started. It really was the 'silent killer,' since it had been very quiet. It only came out when he went through a routine series of tests. That was around the first few days of November. By Thanksgiving, he was gone. The cancer, which started in his bladder, took full advantage of his weakened condition...and overran his organ. Grandpa must have been dealing with immense pain during his last few days. Still, he died in his sleep, and I can take comfort that he's no longer suffering. He's at peace now.

He wasn't the only one who had to deal with the asshole called cancer.

I lost a cousin to bone cancer in 2004. We weren't exactly close, but she was always pretty good to me. Even with the chemo, it was killing her quickly. Most of her hair fell out, she lost a lot of weight, and her left leg.

With that said, Glados, I know *exactly* how you feel. Losing someone to illness is never good. But, cancer is a bitch.

Comment

My dad and stepmom both had cancer, but both were caught early, were removed, and (so far, at least, and it's been quite a while) have not recurred, and neither of them needed chemotherapy or radiation treatments. Now Mom has it, breast cancer discovered as a stomach ulcer, but apparently it's only in those two places which is a lot better than they expected at first. Her first chemo is in about twelve hours.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Sometimes it helps just to type it out and get it out there.

That said, I'm very sorry for your loss and what you continue to go through.

My mother is currently battling Ovarian cancer and it's soul crushing, even when it's going well.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Venting hopefully can help you work through some of your grief.

Cancer indeed sucks. I saw my ex's dad waste away to leukemia. He was a really good guy, and watching him go out that way was rough. My grandpa had cancer toward the end of his life. And recently my dad has had issues with bladder cancer. Thankfully it was caught really early while doing tests for something else, and the doctors have been keeping a close eye on it as it tends to be one that has a high chance of recurrence. So far, he's had it recur twice (both times caught early again because of the doctors' vigilance) and underwent surgery to remove it. It scares the crap out of me

Fuck cancer!

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words.

Peppergirl, I understand the soul crushing nature. He was told from the beginning that it was terminal. It was two years of never knowing which day would be good and which would be bad. He would be feeling great on Monday and unable to leave bed on Tuesday. The good times do not take away the knowledge that it can turn bad any moment.

Exretaildrone, I fully agree! Fuck cancer. My Father in Law also wasted away. In fact, it was the extreme weight loss that first brought him to the doctor where they discovered the cancer. It is a painful and difficult process to watch.

Comment

Working...
            X