Stupid bill collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid bill collectors

And no they are not calling for me or my GF. We both have no debt and no outstanding bills at this time. The sheer number of calls to GFs landline is utterly amazing.

This seems to come in waves every couple of months. Apparently they are looking for at least 2 or 3 people who have the same last name as GF. Let's say Smith. The collectors only leave a message once in every 50 calls (and no I am not kidding).

They seem to call at least 5 or 6 or 7 times a day and this has been going on for literally months now.

One person, let's name him John K. Smith, must have racked up some pretty impressive debts since this is the collection company that calls the most (5 - 7 times a day-- goes on for about 3 months stops for a while then starts up again). Now the only thing is is that my GF has the same last name as this person. We believe that he is NOT a direct relation and in no way associated with GF.

The other person, let's name her Helen R. Smith, must have had the same problem but the collection company seems to not call as often.

There are at least 50 - 75 "Smiths" in the local phonebook so our best guess is the companies are phone carpet bombing ANYONE in the area with the same last name (though one of GFs other sisters who lives in the area does not seem to get these type of calls)

Then there is the mysterious collection company that specializes in attempting to collect on old paid off traffic tickets (found this out by searching the 800notes and whocallsme websites). This company has never left a message and we can not figure out who they are looking for. I have only had one ticket (and I paid it) in my current state BUT I am in no way associated with my GFs landline phone number (I have a cellphone that is my main and only number. I gave up my actual landline almost 7 years ago and did not have my cellphone number given as a forwarding number). My GF had not had a ticket in a LONG time (esp now that she can not drive and no longer owns a car. The only person we can figure they are looking for is one of GFs sisters (one of the "bad" ones) as she may have given out GFs number as a "home number".

I have read enough "horror" stories on 800notes and whocallsme to know that even IF we answer the phone and declare we are NOT the person they are looking for that information will not be "believed" and they will keep right on calling.

I really wish there was a way to stop this without giving up the landline (my GF has too many things associated with that number).
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

There is. Get the name of the company and their number and the name of the person you're speaking to.

Then tell them that their company is never to call that number ever again.

If they are legitimate collectors, they'll abide by that command. Even if your girlfriend was the one who racked up the debts, they're required to.

If they violate it later, you can then file a complaint against them that's not cheap, and I think might even come with a payout for you.

It's worth noting that if you don't answer, then they have no reason not to keep calling.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, mylanta. I can honestly say, Dell and Verizon are probably two of the biggest harrassers there are.

Our family plan from Verizon is in my brother's name (for how much longer, I'm not sure, considering he's forgotten to pay the bill twice now and I'm not a fan of robocallers calling me every hour while I sleep during the day) but somehow I'm always the default number to call when the bill goes unpaid.

Comment

Hey, Blas. If those are always from the same number, you should set the ringtone to something that won't wake you for just that number. Or if you really wanted, you could set that number to go straight to voice mail. I do that with spammers.
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
          Oh, mylanta. I can honestly say, Dell and Verizon are probably two of the biggest harrassers there are.
          Verizon is pretty bad about getting people to upgrade their service. Nearly every day for the past 3 years...they were either calling me, or sending me letters to upgrade to FIOS. Er, did I mention that I already *have* it? A comment to one of their sales gerbils got those calls to stop. I told the guy that if Verizon didn't stop bugging me, I was going to Comcast

So the annoying messages have stopped for FIOS. What hasn't stopped, is the constant reminders that my cell phone sucks. Yes, it's an old flip-phone. It's old, but it works. What I can't get these people to understand...is that I don't need an upgrade. Why should I pay for more features...when I don't even use most of the features I have now?

Comment

If you can get the company names, file against them in small claims court (it's very easy to do). Chances are they won't even contest it. Don't expect to see any money in a ruling, but the legal smackdown will probably get them to leave you alone since they are very clearly in violation of the FDCPA.

Comment

Working...
            X