X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Pole Dance?

"That's hot."

It really isn't.

1. We all scrape our hair back to keep it out of our eyes.
    2. We don't wear make-up because it runs. It might run up or down, depending on whether your sweat is trickling up or down your face.
    3. True, we wear very little, but it's necessary to stick on the pole. Our bodies aren't generally pretty to look at though - we're covered in bruises and burns and flaky skin and liquid chalk (to stick harder).
    4. We all swear like sailors when our skin gets pinched in a move or fall on our faces.
    5. We don't just 'back up dat ass' against the pole and grind. We climb a metal pole, hang upside down on it and pose. It's athletic and tiring.
    6. When we leave the studio, we walk like John Wayne because we have thigh burn.
    7. Even our feet are bruised.
    8. Our skin is super dry because we can't moisturise the day before we pole or else we'll fly off.
    9. Our hands are calloused and scratched from gripping so hard to poles that sometimes have chalk caked on them.
    10. The first time we learn a new move, there is one person shrieking and all the others in the class holding them up so them don't face plant. It's not sexy.

Of course, this doesn't apply to shows/competitions, but these are some very common misconceptions which annoy me. It's more accurate to call what I do pole fitness than pole dancing, but that's what people call it (including most of the community).

Despite all the above problems, I love pole dancing. Every burn and bruise is a badge of honour. My pole clothes are threadbare and holey from doing it for 4 years.
    "I'm trapped like a moth in a bath!"

Why are you covered in bruises and burns?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Bruises because it's performance athletics like aerialism, and burns because you don't always stick to the pole as well as you need to.

Most of the people who go "that's hot" are thinking strip club pole dancing, and in that case, the pole is often nothing more than a prop, and not a piece of equipment.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Why are you covered in bruises and burns?
        same reason a gymnast or ballet dancer is-POLE DANCING IS A VERY PHYSICAL SPORT/ACTIVITY!

This is the winner of the second annual pole dance would cup

specificly-at 1:55 in the linked video(chosen specifically because it's very non-stereotypical pole art) if you don't see the potential for a friction burn in that...

The dancers in rock of ages are actually world title holders, several of them in one part drop/slide four feet down the pole and stop inches above the ground-WITHOUT using their hands, just thigh muscles.
        Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          The dancers in rock of ages are actually world title holders, several of them in one part drop/slide four feet down the pole and stop inches above the ground-WITHOUT using their hands, just thigh muscles.
          We call that a Swan Drop I did my first one by accident - My thigh hold slipped and I was hurtling face first towards the floor when my thighs kicked back into gear and caught me.

I just got back from a class (I wrote this thread just before leaving because it was on my mind) and I can tell you now that all of my muscles ache (arms especially) and my right thigh feels like it's on fire. I had an excellent session!

Comment

In the one class I went to (I don't stick well enough) if you referred to it as pole dancing you were asked to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
              In the one class I went to (I don't stick well enough) if you referred to it as pole dancing you were asked to leave.
              See, now, that's going too far in the other direction. I wouldn't want to learn from someone that uptight.

So, if they don't call it pole dancing, what do they call it?
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A friend of mine pole dances purely for the physical effects. She WAS going to do aerial silks with me, but we both can't do it for various reasons. (Her due to time, me for health reasons)
                I would personally love to do pole dancing, but I have enough trouble finding shorts that fit, let alone having other strangers see my thunder thighs.
                On top of that, I've been told that if you have the implanon in your arm, pole dancing is not recommended.

That said, I do know the difference between pole dancing as exercise and pole dancing for strippers. Although the strip club I've visited had the pole dancers actually doing some maneuvers with the pole other than just grinding it. (One girl jumped in the air and hovered over the top of the pole for a while because she was intimidated by my tits )

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  See, now, that's going too far in the other direction. I wouldn't want to learn from someone that uptight. So, if they don't call it pole dancing, what do they call it?
                  It's in the rules at the door and ones that are signed with the contract. They are labeled as Ladies Firness with one of their classes as Pole Fitness. I have a feeling they did that so they would get major lookie lous.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                    same reason a gymnast or ballet dancer is-POLE DANCING IS A VERY PHYSICAL SPORT/ACTIVITY!
                    Yeah. I got that from the OP and also knew it already. No reason to shout. What I *didn't* know was that it normally included bruises and burns. And, while I now understand better the sort of burns meant, I still don't get the bruising and no amount of typing in all caps that doesn't actually describe a mechanism by which bruising results could rationally be expected to change that.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Well, I'd imagine that as you try to learn new moves, failure happens and you fall. That'll cause bruising.
                      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        Well, I'd imagine that as you try to learn new moves, failure happens and you fall. That'll cause bruising.
                        That and just using muscles can cause bruising. When I'd up my weights for lifting for track, I'd have bruises until my muscles adjusted to the new weight.
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                          That and just using muscles can cause bruising. When I'd up my weights for lifting for track, I'd have bruises until my muscles adjusted to the new weight.
                          Technically, that's tearing.

As for pole dance bruises, you'd get those the same way you get bruises for ballet or even ballroom dance, especially when you're new or learning new moves.

Comment

You think pole is bad, you should see what you get from silks

Also, Fireheart, we've always got room, or there's aerial yoga to start out with, it's our gateway drug.
                            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              [snip] I still don't get the bruising and no amount of typing in all caps that doesn't actually describe a mechanism by which bruising results could rationally be expected to change that.
                              The bruises tend to happen when you're using a body part to hang on, rather than a hand. For example, during an invert, you use the top of your foot to anchor yourself for some moves. The skin on your foot is very thin, so any time you put a lot of weight (e.g. your body weight) on it, it will cause the capillaries to break, like a very hard pinch would.

My foot is currently at least 7 different shades of purple.

Comment

Working...
                              X