Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit volunteering me for typing!

To whom it may concern -

I realize that some of you at church may not have a computer at home and at times may need something typed up. I do not always mind helping you out, but PLEASE keep in mind that just because I'm good at typing does NOT mean that I know a lot about word processing software. (In other words, please ask me first before assuming that I'm able to do something)

And to my mom - please stop getting frustrated with me just because I don't know how to do something on the computer. Yes I did work as the church secretary for a few years, but it HAS been at least three years, and my office computer did not have the same software which our home computer does.

To quote the Joker, if you're good at something never do it for it free.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
      To quote the Joker, if you're good at something never do it for it free.
      Lol I love that quote.

Who knew a total psycho could have such good advice?

Comment

To use the old line, 'Just because he's a psycho doesn't make him stupid.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          Lol I love that quote.

Who knew a total psycho could have such good advice?
          I tend to use a variation on that.

"You're a (blank), could you do this for me for free?"
          "Sure."
          *when, a few weeks later, it isn't done*
          "Um, so when is that going to be done?"
          "Oh, when I have some free time I can spend on it. You see, I have a host of other things I get paid to do that take precedence. If I'm paid I tend to bump it up in my priority queue."
          "Oh, well, we really needed it done by X date."
          "In that case, if you like I can charge you the family and friends rate, or you can provide me with a 501C3 form of professional volunteer donation so I can mark my labor off against my taxes as part of a donation."
          "Uh...."

It's kind of like the Shel Silverstein thing:
          "Dirty dishes, such an awful dirty chore / If you drop one on the floor / maybe they won't let you wash the dishes any more."

For baseline word processing and transcription services, my consulting company charges $1 a page single voice or notation, minimum 250 pages, with addons for editing, proofreading, formatting, and conversion (assuming $25 an hour baseline). Simply asking for a receipt of donation so you can claim it as a deduction on your taxes may get them to look for other su...I mean volunteers. ;D

Treat yourself as a professional, and expect the people who ask you for favors to do so as well.

TINSTAAFL applies to being "voluntold", as well.
          The Damn Dirty Monkey Rule:

Whenever you're creating something intensely personal, glorious, and deeply, profoundly your own, remember only two things:

You can only build it to the very best you can.
          People will ALWAYS be damn dirty little monkeys once they start playing with it.

Comment

Working...
          X