Two wrongs don't make a right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two wrongs don't make a right

So lately there has been a few new speed cameras going up along a stretch of freeway that ACTUALLY needs them-a large number of crashes occur in this area mostly due to idiots who believe that the change in speed limits is optional. This stretch has a number of LED road signs that allow for speed changes during inclement weather, road works or crashes. The camera picks up the variations in speed, so that someone can't go 95 when the sign says 80km/h.

Now I don't particularly like speed cameras myself for various reasons, but I know enough to leave them damn well alone.

One idiot however, decided to "right" the wrong present and smashed the cameras on the side of the road. Except that he smashed the glass covering the actual camera-I do believe the camera itself was still functioning though. Basically, your run-of-the-mill vandalism.

Either way, whenever the media has presented a story relating to said cameras being smashed, the comments have been PRAISING the idiot for doing so and screamed at the police for putting up speed cameras or making other stupid threats in the process. (the comments, not the police)

All of these comments somehow proceeded to justify the vandalism because of the speed cameras.

As much as I DON'T like the speed cameras or the vandalism, I was actually asking "Why only that particular camera?" Given there are PLENTY of fixed-speed cameras placed over the state, one has to wonder why this particular one (they aren't hidden either! I drive past anywhere from 2-8 cameras on my way to work) Methinks that someone didn't plan far enough ahead to get to work on time in the mornings...

The problem I have with that one is it's there for revenue, not to catch people not slowing down, if it was positioned near the limit change to 80 I'd believe it, but instead it's set at the bottom of the hill.
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
      The problem I have with that one is it's there for revenue, not to catch people not slowing down, if it was positioned near the limit change to 80 I'd believe it, but instead it's set at the bottom of the hill.
      doesn't justify vandalism.

Comment

The actual intent and purpose of the camera is utterly irrelevant.

You don't go around smashing things that don't belong to you, and only you.
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

a bottom of a hill is a great place for a speed trap.. i mean, people either aren't paying attention and speed down the hill as their momentum picks up, or they start gunning it at the base of a hill to get the oomph they need to get up it.
          plus, the hill acts as a natural barrier to hide the device (from people coming over the crest) to prevent them from correcting speed before they get into range of the camera.

cops radar on hills around here for the same reason (where they can have a parking lot to pull people into for safety, of course)
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
            The one I saw that got smashed the other day wasn't the one near the bottom of the hill. It was the one further up the top shortly after the road widens from 2 lanes to 3. (one lane is used by trucks who are MOSTLY restricted to 60km/h, the other two lanes are for cars)

Also the 80km/h change is short, after that it jumps to 60km/h. Bear in mind that the camera has been there for AGES for trucks and there's an arrester bed prior to the change.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
              he smashed the glass covering the actual camera-I do believe the camera itself was still functioning though..
              So did the camera pick up the image of the idiot's face as he bashed on it?

Oh, and what's an arrestor bed? Sounds like it could be either a rumble strip, or a runaway truck trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalom View Post
                Oh, and what's an arrestor bed? Sounds like it could be either a rumble strip, or a runaway truck trap.
                My guess is the latter, since arresting something means to stop it.
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

yeah, it's those ramps you see when you go down hills that let a truck kick off the main drag and go up to slow themselves down if they start losing control.
                  All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

So did the camera pick up the image of the idiot's face as he bashed on it?

Driveby so no. Apparently the guy who did it was also done for smashing other speed cameras. Just the attacks didn't start until after the ones on the freeway were activated.

Arrester bed-designed for trucks or cars that need to get off the road quickly and safely. It consists of a bunch of gravel that's been raked in v-shapes to slow a person down. Usually used when the brakes on your car fail.

Comment

I don't think we have those. Runaway truck ramps are similar in principle, but are only found in the mountains and are basically steep upslopes covered in sand. There's also, if I remember right, a significant fine for actually using one.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        I don't think we have those. Runaway truck ramps are similar in principle, but are only found in the mountains and are basically steep upslopes covered in sand. There's also, if I remember right, a significant fine for actually using one.
                        I don't believe there are fines down here for using them UNLESS you've used one for a reason that is not life-threatening (ie pulling over into one to talk on your phone).

We also have "emergency stopping lanes" on the freeway and the local expressway for cars and the occasional SMALL truck to pull over into if your car breaks down or for other reasons. You CANNOT pull over into one for talking on your phone or if you're following another car for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          Runaway truck ramps are similar in principle, but are only found in the mountains and are basically steep upslopes covered in sand.
                          There's one on the parkway (I-376) here, right before you get to the Ft. Pitt Tunnels. As long as I can remember, I don't ever recall hearing of a truck actually having to use it though. It's more a precaution than anything--traffic sometimes backs up before the tunnels (damn Pittsburgh drivers slam on the brakes inside for some reason...)--and rather than dealing with a huge accident, the ramp got put in. It's a long ramp, with gravel, sand, water barrels, and a large barricade at the end. It's designed to slow a truck down, and then bog it before it can do too much damage.

But like HYHYBT said, the remaining ramps--such as the ones on Route 40's "Big Hill" (the Summit), are very steep. Those were put in, after one too many trucks was sent barreling into Hopwood (PA) after its brakes failed coming down the hill. Since then though, a bypass was installed. If a truck does lose its brakes, it will simply head down the highway...instead of plowing into Hopwood's business district.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
                            yeah, it's those ramps you see when you go down hills that let a truck kick off the main drag and go up to slow themselves down if they start losing control.
                            Yep, the places that you see complete morons pulled onto for a picnic. One in B.C. is crazy, but it's the only way they could fit one in. One highway joins another in a "T" intersection, with the "leg" of the "T" being the end of a serious downhill slope. The runaway ramp/arrestor bed is on the far side of the intersection, so a runaway truck would barrel ACROSS the other highway to get to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X