snow removal rant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow removal rant.

this is NOT about municipal/ city plows, but more about home snow removal.
    this is also very much a family rant.

my primary and i live in a rental house. our job of snow removal is the carport, and if we feel like it the walkways. our "landlord" (dad) is supposed to be responsible for the actual chunk of driveway, which is also a tractor path.
    when he isn't home, that falls to my brother. they are the two that know how to run the equipment, have the keys to the lockup, security codes etc.

we've had two major snow falls. and both time have been.... issued.

first time, da was out of town. and bro just didn't feel like it. so we hand-shoveled our driveway out TWO DAYS before it was arsed to be plowed.

second time, today. actually, all weekend. it's a snowstorm, and while we may be getting it mild compared to other places it's still about a foot of snow, even higher in the drifts. which is up over my bumper.
    amusingly enough, my car is fantastic all winter, even with all seasons, as long as the snow on the road is beneath bumper level.

they plowed the driveway once today, around 1. despite it snowing all day.

needless to say, i got stuck. but that's not the fun part.

we had a big family gathering at one of the other farmhouses. which was ALSO not plowed out, since no one in my family had to go anywhere apparently. this driveway is over 1/4 mile long, and gets heavy crosswinds.

from all the drifts and chaos, by the end we had 3 cars get stuck, 4 guys get wet, i backed into my primary trying to avoid the plow (he is fine, just a nudge). oh, and when my da couldn't back my car through the drifts, he decided to take it to go get the plow... by driving it through the orchard around the other cars. and then skidding it out "just for fun".

my car is an almost 10 year old PT with a few issues, including an occasionally sticky e-break. i swear on all things holy if i have to replace any parts i'm gonna freak, i can't afford this shit.

this ended up being more ranty than i ment it to be. sorry. just, with all the other bullshit going on with the farm, the fact that they just couldn't be bothered to do something as simple as plow when they were expecting company, including children, is freaking ridic.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

update: car seems to be fine. bro says to just keep an ear/eye on it for a couple days to see if any problems came up.

we're only worried because there was one heck of a thud during it's orchard adventures.

sigh.

Comment

Thank you for this. I was feeling envious of the reports of snow seemingly everywhere but here, and your post has brought me back to a thankful reality.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I usually don't bother with snow removal...unless it's so deep I can't get the car in the driveway. Most of the time, I can simply drop it into 2nd, and climb up the hill quite easily.

Comment

mhm. i don't mind if it's low. just once it's over my bumper it will slow down the car enough where it can dig into the ice below the snow. which then i'm screwed.

the biggest annoyance is that the person responsible for it just.... didn't do it. if i hired a company to do it, i would have asked for my money back. however i can't really "fire" my landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
            if i hired a company to do it, i would have asked for my money back. however i can't really "fire" my landlord.
            Well, if you really wanted to make a point, you could hire a company and then deduct that from your rent and include the receipt...
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

heh, i would love to. but there's too much drama right now to stir the pot.

Comment

I had my car stuck in a pile of snow for several days. Every time I tried to get it out, it would snow again. I finally got the son of a bitch out today. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I suspect that might be due to the warmer weather today.

I still hate winter though. It sucks.

Comment

Our condo runs wires underneath the pavement of the ramps leading to our underground parking lot, and turns on the wires to melt the snow. Perhaps you should consider doing it when spring comes so that you will be prepared for next winter?

Here's a link that will help you should you decide to do that.
                  Last edited by cindybubbles; 12-27-2013, 02:49 AM.

Comment

that's cool!
                    we won't be living here next winter, but i'll keep that in mind for any new place we have.
                    sadly, it wouldn't work for this house. the driveway is a gravel tractor path, and needs to be able to be grated to bring the stones back up every spring. would probably rip out any wires.

Comment

I was watching a house renovation show where they ran the hot water beneath the house and encased in the foundation so that it would heat the house whenever you ran the hot water.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

that's cool!
                        one of my eco buddies sent me a link on how to heat a room with a candle. gonna make a few for if we get a power outage again. hubby is not a cold-air person lol.
                        http://www.permaculture.co.uk/reader...ts-and-washers

Comment

Working...
                        X