Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid things they now teach in schools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid things they now teach in schools.

A few gems from my stepdaughters school

Tigers live in Africa. ( Yeah, in zoos)
    Only America has internet.(Then how do my cousins have Facebook)
    Taking vitamins is the same as eating vegetables. (One word:fiber)
    The queen has complete control of England. (No just no)
    Bilingual means you speak English and Spanish. (Then what does that make me, I can't speak a word of Spanish, by I can speak other languages)
    What's 2 + 1, remember to show your work. (Why!?)
    If you eat a booger it will get stuck in your throat and you'll choke to death. (That's one way to get them to stop)

And they're not allowed to wear black tights, apparently it's a gang sign.

Are you sure she got some of these from teachers? I got a lot of stupid things picked up simply by peers, plus the game of telephone can play a role. (E.g. "In the 1500s the queen of England had complete control" becomes "Queen Elizabeth II must have complete control of England!" nevermind Elizabeth II is the monarch of the UK, not England).

Same can be said for the bilingual thing: Some student mentions he/she can speak English and Spanish and the teacher says, "So you're bilingual!" and the student incorrectly comes to the conclusion that means it's specifically speaking English and Spanish that makes you bilingual.

That's not to say there are very poor teachers who are basically telling students outright lies, but looking back on my elementary school education, my desk was always next to the window and I tended to get distracted a lot by the birds outside and only caught half of what any teacher said.

Comment

This stuff was printed on worksheets.

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
        I can't headdesk because my laptop is there, but I want to, so very hard.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Someone should probably go to the principal and point this crap out.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Kind of sad when home schooling is the overall superior option, huh?

Comment

Forget "why," I'm stuck on HOW you'd show your work on 2+1.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                Someone should probably go to the principal and point this crap out.
                Forget the principal. When it gets that bad, then it needs to go viral. >_>
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  Holding up 3 fingers can only get you so far. (what do you when the answer is higher than 10?).

Comment

1+1=2, therefore 2+1=1+1+1. 1+1+1=3, therefore 2+1=3

if thye start arguing about 1+1+1, then you get to call them an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                      Holding up 3 fingers can only get you so far. (what do you when the answer is higher than 10?).
                      Take off your shoes?
                      People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                      If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Are you sure this wasn't a true or false quiz, and those were te false answers? Good God.

Comment

......my thinking place hurts after reading that

Comment

I stand thoroughly corrected. That is so sad.

Comment

Is this a public or private school? If so, what book is she using?!

I have a feeling that the "why" is because they're trying to drill into kids from an early age to prove that your answer is right instead of parroting it out. Save it for more complex equations...not for computation (mental arithmetic aka 2 + 1)

Comment

Working...
                              X