Wherein not taking abuse strains my romantic life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein not taking abuse strains my romantic life

So I don't have to redo this twenty times over, here's the email I sent to my psychologist summing up the whole situation (names have been changed)

QUOTE]
    Short version (with cast of characters):

Army Buddy: friend that came down from Brisbane.
    Flower: "friend". (not using her real name
    Nord: Boyfriend.
    Falcon: now ex-friend due to the events that follow.

-Army Buddy comes down from Brisbane to spend the night with Nord, me, flower and a mutual male friend.
    -All the men are engrossed with something on the computer, so I send army buddy a message via Facebook on my iPad to get his attention.
    -At the same time, a message from Falcon pops up.
    -I show Flower the message I sent to Army Buddy thinking she'd find it funny. She instead notices that Falcon has sent me a message, opens it up, READS the message (to herself) and scrolls back a little before I get my iPad back.
    -Rest of the night continues as normal.

-Saturday there's a lot of back and forthing between Nord and Flower behind my back and a lot of back and forthing between me and Nord (face-to-face). Apparently I've been lying, cheating (with Falcon), rude to Flower and several other things. None of this is true and/or she's misunderstood heavily. At this point, she's not at the house.
    -I try to correct the misunderstandings but she believes that I'm lying and/or that I've coached Falcon into telling her what is actually the truth (but she believes is me coaching him). Nord appears to be agreeing with her.
    -Nord and I have a long talk and I show him parts of the conversation in question before deleting the conversation for good and cutting off contact with Falcon (online). Nord tells Flower this.
    -Sunday my (sprained) ankle is getting even worse and I ask to be picked up. Before I do, I type out a LONG letter explaining everything she's had issues with and the way I feel about things in general with her and leaving it for her to read when she gets back home. dad picks me up, I get my ankle checked out (no fracture!)

-In the car on the way home however, I suddenly get a HUGE slew of text messages from Flower stating that she's a horrible friend and that she shouldn't have done this. I tell her to read the letter I wrote for her. She refuses. She also plays the horrible symptoms card, stating that she wasn't in the right frame of mind and displaying other symptoms that suggested she needed professional help. I suggest that she talk to someone professional and suggest a free service. She refuses.

We don't speak to each other for a few days until tonight. Poor Nord has become the messenger in this situation and both he and I are getting sick of it. Flower has not spoken to me bar one small message stating that she hadn't seen her cat (which she really doesn't take care of all that well to be honest) since Boxing Day. I tell her that I hadn't chased it off and she tells me not to be stupid.

I tell her to stop using Nord as a messenger. She starts getting shitty, assumes that the letter was written by Nord because I was too much of a coward, accuses me of twisting the situation around to reflect back on her and demands that I apologise before I go back up to the house. (she's on an informal arrangement with Nord-he has the lease in his name and by law, is the one who has the final say)

I'm honestly at my wits end here. She also doesn't have the right to dictate when I can and can't see Nord. Despite this, she has been treating me like crap lately. She's been pushy with when and how I should provide sexual services to Nord (the main comment being "you should blow(orally pleasure) him" whenever he's engrossed with his computer), she's been stating facts that I know aren't right but she can't handle being proven wrong (and it's been getting more and more frequent-things like cappuccinos and lattes are identical and that P2 drivers can wear green P-plates in this state). Except that if she moves out, then Nord's going to struggle and he's already under a ton of stress from uni and work.

What she's getting shitty over in addition to all that's listed above? Me chucking out some nutella (by accident and then replacing it) and then apparently 'misunderstanding' something she said about some money she'd given me. (She told me I could use the change for dinner, she got shitty and demanded the money later when she got back home) Finally, I apparently wasn't grateful when she shouted me breakfast because I dared to point out that she'd gotten my order wrong and thanked her profusely anyway.
    [/QUOTE]

And the drama continues. She accused me of being rude and a moocher among other things AGAIN, before telling me that I was making no sense and that I wasn't being funny.

I should add that by this point, the letter that I typed? Explained the entire situation with Falcon and several other points. If she had read it, it would all be over. But she accuses me of being a coward when she RAN AWAY IN THE FIRST PLACE!

And now it's putting me and my boyfriend under strain because she's dictating when I can and can't see him up at the house.
    Oh and one final note? I had sprained my ankle and despite it being compression-wrapped (at the time), she still decided that the best option was to WALK ON IT on Saturday. Not wanting to leave her alone with Nord, I ended up joining in. not once did she ask how my ankle was. I was limping the entire way (I could not afford crutch hire and the hospital near us at the time does not do x-rays)
    Last edited by fireheart17; 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM.

If it weren't for the house situation, I'd say you defriended the wrong person.

Actually, I still thing you defriended the wrong person.

Flower is toxic and if she isn't willing to get the help she says already admits she needs, you really have to get her out of your lives. I'm not sure the stress of not having her there to help with the house would be much worse that what's going on now, and I sincerely doubt, having already refused to do anything about her problems, that she's going to get anything but worse.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Just to be absolutely clear: Flower isn't a friend so much as Nord's roommate?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        If it weren't for the house situation, I'd say you defriended the wrong person.

Actually, I still thing you defriended the wrong person.

Flower is toxic and if she isn't willing to get the help she says already admits she needs, you really have to get her out of your lives. I'm not sure the stress of not having her there to help with the house would be much worse that what's going on now, and I sincerely doubt, having already refused to do anything about her problems, that she's going to get anything but worse.
        I still talk to Falcon via text message, but the frequency of said messages has dropped MASSIVELY since I cut him off of Facebook.
        I agreed to cut him out because of Nord, not because of Flower.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Just to be absolutely clear: Flower isn't a friend so much as Nord's roommate?
        No, we're all friends. She's almost considered like the "surrogate" daughter to Nord's parents, just as much as I'm also part of the family.

It feels nice to know that I'm not the only person who is feeling this way now.
        Nord is the one stuck in the middle of all of this and I feel horrible for him. Unfortunately my social anxiety is kicking in MASSIVELY at this point as well.

As far as the house situation goes, I have no idea what the rent situation is between those two. She's not even there several nights a week nowadays anyway. He has said that he could cope living on his own financially, but I'm more worried about his overall health and wellbeing. He does have a backup plan in place should things not go well that involves moving in with some coworkers of his. This I have no problem with: I've met his coworkers and they're a nice bunch. It'd be nice to get to know MORE of them though...

Which has reminded me of another moment with Flower and Nord that would normally strike me as a "friends" thing, but lately is starting to make me wonder.

Prior to the current housing situation, Nord lived with parents, Flower moved around. (She changed address FOUR TIMES as long as I've been friends with her. One was justified in that she got stuck with a massive electricity bill that her housemates refused to chip in for.)

Nord frequently attended Friday night drinks EVERY Friday with his work buddies. This was at a nearby pub and was an informal gathering. I couldn't attend either due to work, depressive episodes or the fact that at the time, I was DRIVING up to his house and did not want to be stuck paying for parking in the CBD.

Flower, however, had no qualms about paying for it and apparently attended a few times WITHOUT me and not even bothering to ask if I would go.

It did kind of make me laugh though: at his Christmas party, I was apparently the "fake girlfriend." (more that nobody believed he could HAVE a girlfriend)
        Last edited by fireheart17; 01-02-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Did Falcon actually do anything wrong?

Because if I understood correctly, he did nothing wrong but you agreed to stop talking to him in order to ease your boyfriend´s jealousy.

If I was in his place I would feel hurt.(assuming he was an actual friend and not only an acquaintance)

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
            Did Falcon actually do anything wrong?

Because if I understood correctly, he did nothing wrong but you agreed to stop talking to him in order to ease your boyfriend´s jealousy.

If I was in his place I would feel hurt.(assuming he was an actual friend and not only an acquaintance)
            Mostly an acquaintance. He'd also been begging me to delete him from Facebook for a while anyway.

Falcon and I still talk albeit over text messages now. Some of them have been a little bit backstabby (he also knew Flower, she viewed him as a sleaze and yes, he did hit on her a bit) suggesting that Flower was displaying narcissistic symptoms among other things.

I also explained to him that FLOWER wanted me to do the same, but I told her that I'd already done it because of Nord.

Oddly enough, her pattern has been that whenever she has fights with her friends, she'll speak to her remaining friends the next day and ask them to cut off any contact they have with that person. She's also been known to pull her Facebook page down whenever things go wrong.

Given she's very closely integrated with Nord's (and to a lesser extent my) close friends, any attempts for her to cut off their contact with us would not end well. The only other friend I'm likely to lose out of this scenario would be someone I've known for longer, but who I've mostly lost contact with.

Comment

and an update!

I get a message this morning from Flower, stating that she didn't want me up at the house until I got a "grip of myself." I'm still going up to the house. Nord's name is on the lease and I'm also talking to his parents.

Comment

I have to ask this because it keeps eating at the back of my mind.

Is "Flower" attracted to "Nord"?

Is she trying to get you out of the way?
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crash helmet View Post
                  I have to ask this because it keeps eating at the back of my mind.

Is "Flower" attracted to "Nord"?

Is she trying to get you out of the way?
                  I have a feeling that she is. She does not have much luck in the love department. In fact, two of the relationships I attempted to set up with her when we were still working together ended flat. She hasn't really "dated" anyone since, barring one-off dates. Most of these dates have appeared to involve another friend of Nords (let's call him Blackbeard) but of course, she denies it.
                  She also has a "fuck buddy" relationship with Blackbeard which he has no issues with. Although she got annoyed with him because he wasn't making her feel like she was worth his time or attention on occasion.

Most of the stuff I've mentioned above has been around Nord and/or other people that we both know. Between me and her however individually and I'm everything from her friend to her sponge to her chew toy.

And after a nap today, I also realised that she has not once listened to how I feel about the whole situation unless it fits her definitions. When I've said something or wanted to say something, the responses have either been that I'm not thinking straight, I'm twisting her words, it's not what it looks like, she has justified it by the above, I apparently wrote it when I was angry and so on.

If anything, I'd say that she's gas lighting me. I've seen it before with my own sister having done it on a few occasions, but they have stopped the more assertive I've become at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Comment

yeah, she wants Nord. classic crazy bitch going on there. twisting things to make a rift between you and your partner, trying to keep you out of the house, taking to him but not to you.... it's practically a sitcom stereotype.

really, if she starts her shit, just be all "bitch, i know you're trying to kick me outta here so you can try and get with Nord, but quit acting like a freaking highschooler."
                    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Well I got the news. Apparently because I dared to stick to my guns, she's moving out.

She's proven to not be a complete bitch though and is getting someone to replace her so that nord is not entirely on his own. Before anyone else asks, no, I cannot move in, the rent would pretty much demolish my paycheck and I wouldn't be able to contribute to anything else.

She gave me a bunch of apologetic texts this morning. I calmly pointed out that I would see her tonight. Talking with nords mother also revealed that she came off more as constantly tired. At this point, my question is "if she's that tired, why doesn't she actually work at looking after herself?"

I did get some heartwarming news though: no matter how manipulative and narcissistic she is, she will never take away nord from me.

ETA: Well despite the attempts at "salvaging" the friendship, nothing's going to work. She blocked me on Facebook and is moving out.
                      Last edited by fireheart17; 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear, seems like the best way it could have ended

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
                          Glad to hear, seems like the best way it could have ended
                          She's not moving out until she finds a replacement though. That said, I've told nord that if she says anything to drive a rift between the two of us from now on (she has been known to get bitter over ex-friends for a while) that he's to let me know. If she keeps it up, harassment charge time!

Comment

So a little update:

Nord found out that I had been talking to Falcon via text and wanted to know what about and why. I told him that it was purely a bitch session about Flower and the way she'd been treating me. Falcon did know Flower and said to me that she was nothing but a hypocritical narcissistic manipulative portion of the female anatomy that I will not repeat on here.
                            I talked to Nord about whether Flower had further contacted him. He showed me the messages from after the one where she had made her demands (namely that I needed to apologise) and I had to laugh.

To him, she's playing the victim HEAVILY. Among other things:

-She's currently not spending time at the house because I "scare" her.
                            -She's looking at alternatives aka moving out.
                            -She still wants to be friends with Nord.

The messages I did get from her a few nights ago read like she's trying to play the victim BIG-TIME. I've stopped falling for it.

I told Nord about my fears. He told me that there was a possibility I was reading too much into this and that if she wanted to steal him, she would've made her move by now.
                            I pointed out to him that she would've wanted me out of the picture first before making her move.

I talked to his mother and she assured me that he would not leave me or be swayed by someone like that. I've told him that if he gets drunk from now on, she's not to be there. If he can tell me not to talk to Falcon, I am going to tell him not to get drunk in front of her.

One thing I haven't shared with him though? I thought about it and had a small epiphany in the shower tonight.

If she's refusing to get help, what's to stop her from doing it again to me if I had? I'm sick of being her follower.
                            Last edited by fireheart17; 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Well since she seemed to think it was perfectly fine to tell you not to go up to the house, then hell yes tell her not to have any contact with your boyfriend. If me and Bill where in your situation I would let him know that this is what I plan to do, and ask him to cut off contact with her and why. It's not that I wouldn't trust him, I don't trust her.
                              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Working...
                              X