Our "adopted" grandma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our "adopted" grandma

I swear to God I should've hurt her today. Maybe she would've gotten the message.

Bit of background: This is the second time I've lived in my current state. The first time was with my parents and rest of family (as in not with hubs and child), which is when we met C and D. D is a mascot maker who needed a seamstress, so my mom started working for him and cemented a friendship between her and C and D. So after we left and then I moved back several years later, it made sense to keep up with them as they were family friends.

How I wish I had left it there.

TL;DR version of the following, C, who was a major help through my pregnancy, became a slightly overbearing grandma to my son, making me uncomfortable to want to be around her with him.

[background]
    When we found out I was pregnant, we were more than a little underprepared. Kabe's mom is infinitely pragmatic and would help us with things if we asked directly, but really wouldn't contribute to the suggesting of things we'd need to do to prepare. My mom lives several states away and was only able to come up a couple of times to help out, including while I was on bed rest. She asked C to help us out, and I gratefully accepted the help since we needed help navigating government aid forms and such, which she had experience with.

When we weren't sure if Kabe could come to my pregnancy prep classes, she stepped up to help out. She was also one of the few people who understood the fact that I really disliked being pregnant but that it would probably be okay in the end. She was there when our son was born and helped keep my folks informed since they couldn't come up until after it was all said and done.

I was sorely grateful for the help.

The trouble started after we got settled back at home. She messaged me and offered to take our little guy for a few hours so we could get some rest. Being a new parent, I felt uneasy about it, but I knew I needed some solid rest, so agreed. As we were packing him up to go with her, she started making comments about how she was "going to keep him a day or two or more" and how we'd "see him eventually".

I asked point blank when she was going to be bringing him back and pressed for an answer which seemed to surprise her. To be fair, she did show up when she said she would.

She came by a couple more times after that, making similar comments each time. The third and final time she did, I told her that I didn't really like him going off, trying to find a polite opening to tell her how her comments were affecting me, but her response blew me away. She told me, "Tough! You got to get used to it now, Mom!" before she went out the door.

Well, soon after that, we had a power outage on a pretty hot day. They still had power, so we went over to visit and stay in A/C with our now month-old son. She immediately takes him and soon after is on Skype with my mom going "Look who I've got" in a sing-song voice. My mom, who's been lamenting to me about the fact she can't be up more to see her first grandchild and that we can't come down more. But Mom and C are friends, so that's on Mom on how she wants to deal with it. For me, it was just one more thing that was bugging me on how she was acting around my son.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had to scramble for a babysitter soon after that for a job interview, that would've been the last time for a while. But, alas, the job interview popped up (I was e-mailed a time and date with no prior notification of this job at all. But being a state job, I wasn't going to say no...), so I called her. She offered to take him for a walk around the area as I interviewed since it was downtown. Sounds great. We meet up, I get him settled into her car, go to get the stroller. Come back, she's grinning like mad.

"I wasn't sure if you'd mind, but I put it on him anyway." He's now wearing a bib that says "I <3 Grandma". Frankly, I don't care that she put it on him, but it did strike me strange that she specifically noted that my opinion on this didn't matter. Combined with her previous behavior, I start wanting to really limit my time around her.

We don't see her again until the night before Son's baptism, which was uneventful and mostly her getting to visit with my mom. She cancelled coming to the actual event the next day though. But that's life.

We then met up around Christmas so she could give me some things for Son. Again, cue the comments about taking him home with her. But he's napping in his stroller, so I'm not worried too much.

[End Background]

Which leads us to today. As I posted on CS, we're going through a major water crisis right now. The night we were told that we needed to go get water, we were basically right behind all the crowds, so couldn't get any. I made a post on FB asking if anybody knew where some might be for sale.

She commented that this is why she keeps extra bottles around the house despite being told she's crazy. No offer of help, no suggestions of what to do. She much later in the evening messages me that I can come fill up if need be at her house, since she's in one of the safe areas (she gets her water from a different source). Another friend had already offered her place, so I thanked C at that point and left it at that.

Well, plans got changed (friend and her family woke up with the flu), and given the history with C and not wanting to feel further obligation to her, we decided to take our chances finding water at the distribution centers. Didn't pan out. But the Wal-Mart near her had opened up one of its water pumps, so I figured we could go there, and if that still didn't pan out, we could then, yes, go to C's.

We got filled up (Yay!) but decided to pop in and do some light shopping since that Mart sells things you can't get at our local Mart. Our luck further increased; they were getting ready to pull out some more water! So we waited in line.

I then start feeling somebody trying to TUG MY SON OUT OF MY ARMS. I start, reel back with him, the tugging keeps going. I then realize it's C. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something to the effect of "C! No! No! No! Quit!"

Her response was, "Kheldarson, Kheldarson, calm down, calm down, it's okay." She apologized, with a "but it was just me"...before asking to hold Son again. Which stupid me did since I didn't want to make a scene around the water line since there've been riots around town.

And once again, as she's holding him, she starts making comments about keeping him.

And my mom can't understand why I'm still pissed since C "said she was sorry" and C "just wasn't thinking".

Next time C is getting kicked.
    I has a blog!

To quote one of my favorite shows: "Trust your instincts."

Seriously, that woman has issues, and while it might not happen, I strongly suspect that there might come a time when she's not just making very poor jokes.

At the very least, she has some major boundary issues.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'd agree. Put up the "boundaries" talk NOW.

Comment

That is REALLY weird. I understand why she might feel like a grandma toward your son, but her behavior is pretty bizarre. She might think she's joking, but it's getting into creepy territory now.

I would definitely try to limit your contact with her. I suggest meeting her for lunch or things like that- not in any situation that would put you under an obligation to her, and definitely not leaving the kid alone with her. Or maybe tell her, "Look, I know you're joking but I'm a new mom and it makes me really uncomfortable when you say things like that."

And it seems your mom doesn't really understand since she's not there to see it.

Edit: I don't mean I think this woman might actually be dangerous, but my suggestions are for Kheldarson's own peace of mind.
        Last edited by anakhouri; 01-11-2014, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
          Or maybe tell her, "Look, I know you're joking but I'm a new mom and it makes me really uncomfortable when you say things like that."
          I agree. You also need to tell her to STOP those types of comments, because you are uncomfortable and she is trivializing your feelings when she tells you to "get used to it". Well-meaning though she might be, there is a cause and effect to doing things a new parent isn't comfortable with. That's something "she" better get used to.

Comment

Just one thing...
            "I wasn't sure if you'd mind, but I put it on him anyway." He's now wearing a bib that says "I <3 Grandma". Frankly, I don't care that she put it on him, but it did strike me strange that she specifically noted that my opinion on this didn't matter. Combined with her previous behavior, I start wanting to really limit my time around her.
            On its face, at least, that's not a statement that your opinion doesn't matter. You know this person and I don't, obviously... but if I witnesses that scene as described, I'd hear it as the opposite: a recognition that, while what bib the baby wears is a small enough matter to just go ahead and do for the time being, that what you think matters for future reference.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If anyone tried to take my son out of my arms I would go off on them, I would'nt give a shit about causing a scene. I would've told her to get the fuck off my kid, she had NO right to do that shit. I'm getting mad just reading this shit!
              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

I lost track of exactly how old your son is at this point, and I have no kids of my own, but I cannot for the life of me fathom the mindset of somebody who is trying to pull a child out of its mother's arms for no good reason.

As others have said, I think you need to trust your gut feelings on this one. She doesn't sound dangerous but she is well into creepy territory. I think you need to tell her exactly why her comments bother you (once is funny -- repeatedly, not so much), and the next time she makes a comment like that, you need to take your child and walk away, slamming the door in her face if necessary. She will no doubt pout and complain that she's "only kidding" but that's too bad -- you have made a perfectly reasonable request and if she's not prepared to follow it, then she doesn't get to interact with your child anymore.

As for your mother, I agree that she doesn't see a problem because she isn't there to be able to see it. All you can do is give her chapter and verse and hope that she at least understands your point of view, even if she doesn't fully agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixilated View Post
                  I lost track of exactly how old your son is at this point, and I have no kids of my own, but I cannot for the life of me fathom the mindset of somebody who is trying to pull a child out of its mother's arms for no good reason.
                  Five months.

My theory for her is that she's been allowed to use "I'm ADHD" as an excuse for her lack of impulse control for so long, she no longer feels any need to restrain herself.
                  "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                  TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                    Five months.

My theory for her is that she's been allowed to use "I'm ADHD" as an excuse for her lack of impulse control for so long, she no longer feels any need to restrain herself.
                    That sounds about right. Although it shouldn't be an excuse. It'd be like a dyslexic individual claiming that they're exempt from return policies because they're dyslexic!

Comment

no it's not that she's adhd, she thinks the kid is hers.

She keeps making comments about keeping the kid, she acts like its up to her when you get your own kid back, she pointedly rubs in your face she's making decisions about the kid even minor ones. Now she just goes up to and tries to take the kid from your arms?

She's on a power trip and your kid is riding shotgun.

Comment

To those that posted about setting boundaries, yeah, that's my goal. Right now I'm cooling down (she tried calling once a couple of days after posting this. I didn't pick up and she didn't leave a message). I will be addressing all of this if we decide to continue the relationship.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        Just one thing... On its face, at least, that's not a statement that your opinion doesn't matter. You know this person and I don't, obviously... but if I witnesses that scene as described, I'd hear it as the opposite: a recognition that, while what bib the baby wears is a small enough matter to just go ahead and do for the time being, that what you think matters for future reference.
                        Maybe she meant it that way, but it was how she phrased it (and to be fair it was a while ago so I don't remember the exact words) that kind of struck me. Overall it was just a minor point, but stacked with everything else, in hindsight, it just sticks out as a moment of even in little things she wants to do what she wants with my kid because she wants a grandkid to spoil (her own kids are a little young to be having kids--one just graduated high school and the other is in middle school).

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
                        She's on a power trip and your kid is riding shotgun.
                        And that just sums up how I feel about the situation, yes.

My big thing is I feel uncomfortable approaching this because it half feels like standing up to my mom...which is something else I'm having to learn to do.
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                          Five months.

Could be, but she needs to get a clue-by-four upside the head ... especially when it concerns a five-month-old child.

Good for you for taking a cooling-off period while you mull things over.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit that I have next to zero maternal instincts, but the idea of someone pulling a child out of my arms, especially in a Walmart of all places, makes me stabby. You just. Do not. Do that. In the age of stranger danger and Amber Alerts being sent on the daily, I cannot fathom how someone would possibly think this is OK.

Distance yourself, pronto. It sounds like your gut feeling is sending out red flags, always best to listen.
                            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post
                              I'll be the first to admit that I have next to zero maternal instincts, but the idea of someone pulling a child out of my arms, especially in a Walmart of all places, makes me stabby. You just. Do not. Do that. In the age of stranger danger and Amber Alerts being sent on the daily, I cannot fathom how someone would possibly think this is OK.

*snip*
                              They think it's OK because, "But you KNOW me! I'm not one of those weirdos! You KNOW that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X