People Who Can't Just Quit FB Quietly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Who Can't Just Quit FB Quietly

It has come to my attention that one of my friends on Facebook is quitting said social site. Well, she's not really quitting, she's just taking a break. How do I know this? Because she has posted two or three articles on why EVERYONE should quit Facebook, and made a total of four paragraph-long posts about it. Now, this might just be me, but that seems not only excessive, but a bit on the attention whore-ish side. Now, I don't mind those who make a single, short, concise post about it, but what this person did? Too much. I guarantee you no one on your friends list wants to read those articles, or read your long detailed posts about why you're leaving--no, wait, just taking a break and checking out other social sites. Just leave...go... don't let the virtual door hit your ass on the way out!

Originally posted by BrenDAnn View Post
    Now, this might just be me, but that seems not only excessive, but a bit on the attention whore-ish side.
    That's *exactly* why she's doing it. She wants the attention. Whenever I see posts like those, I can't help but think "Good for you, do you want a fucking cookie?"

Comment

lol I probably went the opposite extreme and just stopped posting. Aside from those annoying automated messages, I haven't been given too much grief for this.

Comment

If I were setting out to avoid FB deliberately, either for a set time or permanently, I'd put a quick note up, simply because some people might worry otherwise. I do when a friend who normally is pretty active doesn't show up for a couple of days.

But that's clearly not what's going on if they're making a huge production of it.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Whenever people start doing this...I make judicious use of the Block button.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
            Whenever people start doing this...I make judicious use of the Block button.
            Same here.

My general criteria for people I block are:

-People who've been abusive to me/Nord (my partner).
            -People who've been abusive to a friend.
            -Stupid inane comments over and over that serve no other purpose than to irritate me.
            -Safety reasons.
            -Racist comments/behaviours that do not stop.
            -Suspected illegal actions.

The last two are based on this:

Racist: The guy in question was complaining about every other culture but Caucasian, right up to and including Australian Aboriginals. In the end, I just got tired of it and blocked him-I did not need his crap showing up on my feed or me commenting on it and showing up on my FRIENDS feeds.

Suspected Illegal Actions: Former coworker of mine was clearly drunk when he wrote said message, but was talking about shaving his cat. Yeah....because he only suggested he was doing it, I couldn't do anything (plus I didn't know where or when he was going to do it), so I blocked him.

Comment

The sad part is, I just added this girl back on my friends list after losing track of her for a while. Oh well. If she's going to be that way, then better off that she goes.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                If I were setting out to avoid FB deliberately, either for a set time or permanently, I'd put a quick note up, simply because some people might worry otherwise. *snip*it.
                I also do that ... now. Last time I vanished from FB for several days, a cousin frantically contacted my brother to ask if I was OK. Brother phoned and left a message, "[Cousin] hasn't seen you on Facebook for a week; just checking to see if you're still alive."

Yeah, brother's pretty unflappable.

Comment

Oh, I see that threat all the damn time. It's like when people threaten to run away.

I especially love the guilt trip "I'm quitting FB" statuses.....they crack me up. Yeah, not everyone lives on Facebook. People who treat the messenger like it's the end all be all just need to be slapped.

Comment

Two days later... she's still there, making whiny little posts that boil down to 'I want to be more social no one ever talks to me on here wahhhhhh!'. Seriously. I know I only get on there to scroll and see what people, most family, have posted, but damn... I'm blocking her if this keeps up!

Comment

So she was waiting for the flood of "NOOOO! DOOON'T LEEEEEAVE!!" posts and they never showed up ... can't imagine why not.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                        Suspected Illegal Actions: Former coworker of mine was clearly drunk when he wrote said message, but was talking about shaving his cat.
                        How would this be illegal - shaving wouldn't physically harm the cat (could easily harm the person doing the shaving - cats tend to express annoyance using their claws), so I'd put it in the same category as someone dressing up their cat in a stupid costume.

As an aside, on a show featuring "interesting" commercials many years ago, one (I assume British, based on the accents) had a woman "chewing out" her significant other, listing all the things she did for him. She said "I even shaved my pussy" - followed by a hairless cat walking past.

Comment

In summer giving a long haired kitty a lion cut is an act of mercy, if you don't have ac. Sometimes even if you do...
                          Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                          Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

You'd think (and I know I hoped!) That by 2014, at least among people over the age of 25, we'd be past stirring up drama about quitting websites/fandoms and such. But at least two coworkers on my FB have deleted and restarted FB at least twice each since last year, and one of them claimed it was his New Year's resolution. Both of them claimed because 'certain things posted on here are annoying.' Good . . . for you? Instead of just using the handy 'Hide from news feed/unfollow/unfriend' features, they had to announce to the world what they were doing and why. Multiple times. It's a website, for goodness' sake! I like it for posting quirky thoughts and staying up to date with people. If I post something and no one responds, it's not the end of the world and certainly doesn't mean that all my friends hate me

I also rarely use messenger and don't take it as a personal offense if I do have it turned on and don't receive messages from anyone.
                            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                              My general criteria for people I block are:

-People who've been abusive to me/Nord (my partner).
                              -People who've been abusive to a friend.
                              -Stupid inane comments over and over that serve no other purpose than to irritate me.
                              -Safety reasons.
                              -Racist comments/behaviours that do not stop.
                              -Suspected illegal actions.
                              I'd like to add 2 things to your list:

1. People who post excessive amounts of selfies, usually with that duck faced expression.

2. People who post pics of every single meal they consume.

I have one RL friend who does both; I've hidden her from my feed, so annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X