Blah is better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blah is better

we;ve had threads about alternate technology advocates before, those people who find someone complaining about a minor problem in windows and they leap in and say "mac/linux is better" and then leave without actually offering anything beneficial to the discussion.

The thing is it's not just tech. I'm really critical of the new 52 lately for lots of reasons and honestly I like to discuss stuff, I still prefer dc to marvel. It is however really freaking annoying having some dipwad just show up and go "marvel is better"

your opinion is not a universal truth, just because you like something doesn't mean what I like is poorer. You are being arrogant and implying you're preference is so much better that it doesn't even need explaining and I should drop the other immediately.
    Last edited by gremcint; 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM.

With the Linux thing half the time people say how great it is, but always leave the impression you need a PHD in computer science and that VI is the best text editor there ever will be.

Windows is teh ebil bla bla effing bla, yet not once did anyone give a hint that you could just install Linux (one of a gazillion) and just boot it up and be away quicker and easier than even the worst Microsoft can offer, if I someone who's spent too many years using a pc (though I've let my tech side slide) am uncomfortable migrating because all the neckbeards obfuscate the living out of it, how the hell is the average customer who just goes to Currys/PCWorld for a browsing PC going to stand a chance.

Android had it right, yes it's based on Linux but it keeps that name far away from itself, if it was a person the Linux face would be cut out of family photos where ever possible.

Also the neckbeards have to auto correct when someone talks about Linux as the OS "It's the Kernal."

With 52, had they not kept some still tied to the old continuity, it might have worked, I don't read much from either camp and truth be told I prefer the else world and ultimate runs as neither is bogged down with decades of conflicting continuity, the chance to allow readers a fresh start, it could have worked, but I've not read any hints to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      With the Linux thing half the time people say how great it is, but always leave the impression you need a PHD in computer science and that VI is the best text editor there ever will be.

Windows is teh ebil bla bla effing bla, yet not once did anyone give a hint that you could just install Linux (one of a gazillion) and just boot it up and be away quicker and easier than even the worst Microsoft can offer, if I someone who's spent too many years using a pc (though I've let my tech side slide) am uncomfortable migrating because all the neckbeards obfuscate the living out of it, how the hell is the average customer who just goes to Currys/PCWorld for a browsing PC going to stand a chance.

Android had it right, yes it's based on Linux but it keeps that name far away from itself, if it was a person the Linux face would be cut out of family photos where ever possible.

Also the neckbeards have to auto correct when someone talks about Linux as the OS "It's the Kernal."

With 52, had they not kept some still tied to the old continuity, it might have worked, I don't read much from either camp and truth be told I prefer the else world and ultimate runs as neither is bogged down with decades of conflicting continuity, the chance to allow readers a fresh start, it could have worked, but I've not read any hints to the contrary.
      actually the stuff they kept is the stuff that works (batman and green lantern) it's making superman into an asshole that really pisses me off.

He was the nice guy, he was the DC Universe's big brother, the shining example that no matter how powerful you are other people matter and you can always be better but now he's a rash hothead.

similar complaints about the other characters too, They've made them all into self centered whiny jerks.

I've tried a bit of linux and honestly after a year of android I went running to windows 8 and never looked back. It is so nice to just install office and vlc player and just have it work, and when somehting crashes in windows it gives me an error message usually it doesn't just randomly close shit like android.

Comment

For comic books: I wish they'd abandon all pretense of continuity. Let each story individually use whichever elements of the past it needs and ignore any contradicting ones. Make this explicit, rather than leaving people to argue over what is and isn't canon. And quit starting over.

But then, I've never much been into comic books, so perhaps I have no right to an opinion and/or am too ignorant to hold a meaningful one.

As for the actual topic... not much to say except that yeah, it's annoying.

I prefer Macs, but by now a large part of that is because I've been on them since System 6; using something else is a bit like trying to cook in a strange kitchen, only more so. (Far more so with Windows 8. When 7 was current, I was seriously considering switching, but with 8, it's like they actively *tried* to make things hard to find.) Anyway...
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Actually I think the opposite I think superheroes should age, retire and eventually die. At a slower rate of course but I think it's the approach that should be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
            The thing is it's not just tech. I'm really critical of the new 52 lately for lots of reasons and honestly I like to discuss stuff, I still prefer marvel to dc.
            I don't read much in comics, but I was going to start with the "new 52" wonder woman mainly because I really liked that they changed her outfit to "not totally ridiculous", but then pandered to the "but WW isn't hot without wearing less clothing than a nudist" it struck me as a tad pandering to slight sexism/misogyny. So they lost me for that.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

we;ve had threads about alternate technology advocates before, those people who find someone complaining about a minor problem in windows and they leap in and say "mac/linux is better" and then leave without actually offering anything beneficial to the discussion.
              Yep, I hate people like that. Even better, are the ones that insist that "mac/linux
              is better" in the office and then get annoyed when I tell them....

1. Very few people in the financial world use Macs.
              2. Very little business-related software, including our database will *run* on a Mac or under Linux.
              3. Our tech department (aka me) isn't familiar with them

But seriously, I'm willing to listen to other ideas. However, if all you can spout off is the same drivel from a commercial, or "my dad (mom/brother/sister) says so..." GTFO.

Comment

wrote it wrong earlier i like dc better, fixed now.

Comment

There was an elseworld that I actually got monthly instead of trade, it was based on the premise that batman and superman started off when they started off and each issue or two was a different decade, culminating with Bruce's son becoming batman after being Boy Wonder to Dick Grayson's Batman.

OK it didn't end there, I wont spoil the story, but characters did grow old and die, Supergirl was the daughter of Clark and Lois and not a cousin or whatever she was originally.

But with comics it can take 6 months for a story arc to finish, that's half of a year dedicated to a day or two comic time (just as 24 was in terms of TV). It's hard to age someone when time runs so slow in comparison, hell I did a double take when I read the first run of the new Ultimate Spiderman, apparently Peter Parker was only Spidey for a year or two before his death, knowing the comic had been going for a decade or so made it seem so short.

Comment

Actually I think the opposite I think superheroes should age, retire and eventually die. At a slower rate of course but I think it's the approach that should be taken.
                    They can do both, with the same characters.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm a Pink Floyd fan....so I get the Roger Waters/David Gilmour/Syd Barret thing. I like all of the Pink Floyd eras although I wish Roger and David would kiss and make up and do one more tour together.

Comment

Working...
                      X