Automatic windows updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic windows updates

I truly hate the time wasting process, always in the most inopportune time.

Soo....change the settings. >.>

Be thankful you can. At my office no one but the network admin has access permission to muck with windows updates. But that means when the update death count appears we can't stop it or postpone it. Even if we're on the line with a customer.

To make things more awkward, our lines don't reset when a computer shuts down or restarts. They reset when they get back into our call software. So if your computer shuts down on you, you're awkwardly left with the caller but can't assist them in any way until they get hung up on. >.>

Comment

The trouble is, if you leave it optional, people won't do it. There has to be a better way to handle it than that, though. Tie it in somehow so that it waits for the current call to end, *then* installs and reboots, then you get your next call. But that would make sense, and involve work on someone else's part.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah that can get annoying. Especially when it automatically restarts your computer. I've had my computer restarted even after telling it to wait.

Comment

You can schedule it. You can also have staff deal with it on a schedule.

My system at home is set for automatic, and I really need to go in and stop that crap.

Same with my work computer. Last one was manual, but not the latest replacement. Thankfully, I'm allowed to change that.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Seems like ideally a call center computer would go ahead with the download wheneverp, then install and reboot when there's a shift change.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

On my work computer, restarts are never forced.

So I just don't reboot.

Comment

you can set it to update when you go to shut down at the end of a day. that's when mine updates, and i just let it run it's shit while i go to sleep.
                All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Is there a downtime where you work? If so, call up your IT department and see if you can get them to schedule the updates to occur at that time. No IT department worth their salt would schedule an update during operational hours for no other reason than it means dealing with the users when it happens.

Then again, if they're allowing updates to occur during operational hours, they're probably not capable enough to set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
                    you can set it to update when you go to shut down at the end of a day. that's when mine updates, and i just let it run it's shit while i go to sleep.
                    That doesn't work so well when you never shut down. And, really, there's little reason for modern machines to be shut down.
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                      Then again, if they're allowing updates to occur during operational hours, they're probably not capable enough to set it up.
                      We don't not have operational hours. Which is sort of the problem. Still, it would be nice to postpone the thing till I get off the line. Otherwise it creates the most horrible awkward dead air. >.>

Comment

No, but you do at some point sign out and go home. Or even on break. If they had any brains at all, updates would wait for those times.

Comment

Then set it up to do the reboot when a user logs off. That way you'll "down" the system at shift change, rather than in the middle of a call - which will screw up the employee's metrics and piss off the person who called.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                            Is there a downtime where you work? If so, call up your IT department and see if you can get them to schedule the updates to occur at that time. No IT department worth their salt would schedule an update during operational hours for no other reason than it means dealing with the users when it happens.

Yeahhhh...btw guess what our corporate IT department decided to do recently? Schedule a major update for our guest databases. At exactly the middle of check-in. We were not pleased.

Comment

Working...
                            X