People Stealing from me, after I help them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Stealing from me, after I help them

One of my relatives needed to stay the night at my house, because they had an early appointment in town, and they lived miles and miles away.

We were checking our bank account, and seen a check that we did not make out. Made out to this person's girlfriend. So they stole a check, forged my mom's signature, and then stole the money. Just lucky they didn't clean us out or something. Right now I am steaming. They had best not show their face around here anytime soon.

Mom IS alerting the bank, and she IS pressing charges.

Let me guess. If they had asked your mom for the money, she would have given it to them. On the plus side, at least you know where this person lives.

Comment

How much do you wanna bet they're pissed off at your mom for pressing charges, or say "if you would've just given us the money we wouldn't have had to steal it"?
      "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

They are angry that we pressed charges. At first it was "We will get you the money back in a couple of days" then the tune changed to swearing they didn't do it. Tried to blame it on another person that has been nowhere near us for weeks. Chances are if they ask we would have lent them the money. We help family when we can, but now.. they will never get anything from me, period.

Comment

Of all the ways to steal from someone whose house you're in, that's one of the stupidest. No hope whatsoever of not getting caught (and easy prosecution, too) unless it's a small amount and the account's owner either doesn't look over their statements unless the balance seems way off or they write so many real checks to the same person that they would think it was one of them.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            Of all the ways to steal from someone whose house you're in, that's one of the stupidest. No hope whatsoever of not getting caught (and easy prosecution, too) unless it's a small amount and the account's owner either doesn't look over their statements unless the balance seems way off or they write so many real checks to the same person that they would think it was one of them.
            Yeah, there's papertrails all over this that will prove they did it. To deny it is unbelievably stupid, since all you need for evidence is bank statements that show the payee was them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
              Yeah, there's papertrails all over this that will prove they did it. To deny it is unbelievably stupid, since all you need for evidence is bank statements that show the payee was them.
              *nods* Yeah nobody ever said my nephew was the brightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                They are angry that we pressed charges.
                Good for them
                At first it was "We will get you the money back in a couple of days"
                If they were planning to pay it back, they would never have stolen it in the first place; they would have asked. They dug their own hole.
                "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
                "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

Originally posted by EricKei View Post
                  Good for them
                  If they were planning to pay it back, they would never have stolen it in the first place; they would have asked. They dug their own hole.
                  Probably. But I've heard that a lot of embezzlement cases, investment scams, etc. start out with the intent to put the money back.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

They're going with the "Father Ted" defense? "The money was just resting in my account" That's a poor defense in the best circumstances.

Comment

So they're upset because 1) They got caught and 2) Because this is something you "Keep in the family".

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                        We were checking our bank account, and seen a check that we did not make out. Made out to this person's girlfriend. So they stole a check, forged my mom's signature, and then stole the money.
                        Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        Of all the ways to steal from someone whose house you're in, that's one of the stupidest. No hope whatsoever of not getting caught (and easy prosecution, too)
                        So they didn't even TRY to "muddy the waters" by making the cheque out to "Cash" or "Bearer"?

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                          So they're upset because 1) They got caught and 2) Because this is something you "Keep in the family".
                          Yep that is exactly why they are upset.

Nope they made it out to 'Girlfriends name'. Of all the stupid, crazy, and insane things to do... *shakes head* I swear if they had a brain, they would take it out and be puzzled as to what it was in their hand.

We even gave them a chance to make it right. We said "Get our money, we will not press charges." Nope, they would not do that .. so on their head be it.
                          Last edited by Mytical; 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Wow, that was an extremely douche move.

You were right to press charges.

Comment

Working...
                            X