when modding goes wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when modding goes wrong

er, this isn't about forum mods. i really couldn't think of another title.

i've been playing around with remodding a fig of mine because.. well. i get bored, and wasn't liking how it was originally. for referance, it's 1/4 scale, and originally a demon.
    back when i first did him up, i tried dying him blue..... turned out mottled green. sigh, ok, did a full body paintjob to blend it into bluetones.

this time, stripped the paint, popped off old mods. tried to dye him dark grey.... still green, still light. just slightly greyer. sigh. ok. scrap that idea, go with diffrent concept, make a zombie, they're green.... right?

trying to do epoxy.... refuses to blend perfectly. sigh, ok. keep plugging away. oh, now it wants to fall over, when i'm not around, right onto the still-drying mods. awesome. start over. oh, now it wants to smoosh when i look at it funny, so i have to start over AGAIN.

just, urgh. i know this is a rant but i hate when projects refuse to cooperate!!! i've been trying to smooth out the modded spots now, but without ruining the texture of the tears and stuff. just.. bleck!

anyone else have evil hobby woes?
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

I used to do beading with my mother and aunt, who have a business selling jewelry and such.

There would be days when I'd get out the supplies and it'd be tipped beads all over the floor, thread that would snarl if I breathed on it, wax that would try to eat the thread and needles that would defy being threaded, then refuse to pass through beads and sometimes, when I was finally thinking the worst is over, snap right in half between my fingers. >_<
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It was work rather than a hobby, and an uncooperative brain rather than physical objects, but I had a day that sounds a lot like that. Started off by turning the wrong way out of my own home street and not noticing for a mile down the road and went downhill (so to speak) from there.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Chainmail, 20,000+ rings, 1 ring in the middle is out, can not be fixed without having to take out and add about 100 or so rings
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working on a brailler, getting everything put together, test paper in....and a hour later the brailler is now in seven pieces because a little tiny spring is the culprit.

Comment

This is why I was always immensely thankful that Japanese model kits came with extra replacement parts/joints for the pieces most likely to break. Nothing like spending 3 hours painstakingly assembling a $200 perfect grade Gundam kit only to have a wrist joint snap a day later. -.-

Comment

1) oh god yes beads are evil. but my cats love it when i frigg up those projects. free toys! (no they don't eat the beads)

2) my brain acts like that most days, sadly. :/ although, i do have to ask if the downhill was also literal heh.

3) uuugh, i can only imagine how hellish having to fix chainmail would be.

4) cool, a machine that types in braille? that's gotta be a PITA to fix

5) what are gundam kits like? i've been tempted to try one for giggles, but i'm not a huge mecha person. if they made one of Gypsy Danger though i might have to get on that.

finally got the damn mods to behave, and slapped a layer of basecoat on. gonna seal before bed and then shove it aside till my next day off when hopefully i don't hate it anymore and can start painting.
              the next fig i mod better be less hellish (robot bunny ftw?)

Comment

There's a Japanese model kit for practically every anime mecha. No Pacific Rim though.

However, NECA makes a farkin' awesome 18 inch Gypsy Danger action figure. And yes, he has LEDs. <3

I think Toys r Us carries them too.

Comment

*reads thread* thought this was going to be about the new robocop movie.

A hobby I've developed is to modify the easy buttons from staples with halloween decorations but the new ones have different circuits from before so I'll have to sit down and trace them out before I can do anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    However, NECA makes a farkin' awesome 18 inch Gypsy Danger action figure. And yes, he has LEDs. <3
                    yeah, i can pre-order one from my buddy's toystore (thetoytrove.com), but she's a liiiittle outta my price range, expecially with saving up for comicon, and other ongoing projects >.<
                    we have one of the smaller figures of her though

on a random note, eyeless dolls are friggan creepy. cat musta been on the bookshelf because it's shifted around a bit. now it's "staring" at me. O_O really gotta get it painted. painted and eyeballed things are less creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      This is why I was always immensely thankful that Japanese model kits came with extra replacement parts/joints for the pieces most likely to break. Nothing like spending 3 hours painstakingly assembling a $200 perfect grade Gundam kit only to have a wrist joint snap a day later. -.-
                      Nanoblocks are pretty much the same. They also come with several extra pieces.

Comment

I've had to put some of my projects back into their boxes.

Awhile back, I picked up an old N (1/160) scale Bachmann Metroliner train set. I have some N scale stuff--my main interest is HO (1/87) scale--but I do dabble around in N every now and then. Anyway, the set came with an E60 locomotive and 3 Amfleet cars. It ran OK, but I really wanted to bin the crappy couplers the set came with. They're huge, not very realistic, and most importantly... incompatible with the rest of my stuff!

Naturally, because the set is so old, parts are impossible to find. Bachmann doesn't carry them, and neither did my favorite hobby shop. I got lucky, in that I found new wheelsets and couplers online. Not cheap, but I thought I could simply swap out the offending parts, and I'd be in business. Simple plan, right?

Hell no. No sooner do I start assembling those damn couplers, and I start having issues. Getting the original items off was easy. Fitting the replacements...wasn't happening. Trying to hold such tiny parts (the couplers are cast in two halves, and contain a tiny spring, because they actually work) was very difficult. As soon as I'd get the things into position, the spring would fly out, and I'd have to start over.

After an hour, I admitted defeat, and put the entire set back in its box. What pissed me off, is that I've done the coupler conversion *many* times. What the hell was so difficult about this time?

Comment

Your story reminds me of the time I tried to rekey the lock on the door.

There's now an empty space where that knob used to be and entirely different knobs elsewhere... >_<
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

project is finally behaving itself. even the sealant isn't cracking, which is awesome when it's negative-fuck-degrees out at night.

@protege, i swear sometimes these things get brains of their own and just refuse to cooperate.

Comment

That 18" Gypsy Danger is freaking sweet, I want!

Comment

Working...
                              X