No announcement yet.

Being Pressured To Watch More TV Shows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Pressured To Watch More TV Shows.

Everyone wants me to watch something. When ever they discover a new show that they fall in love with, they want me to watch too. I wouldn't mind this so much if, they didn't expect me to watch it. I already have enough shows I'm watch regularly and adding more to the list would make TV watching become a chore, something I have to keep up with, and I just don't need that kind of pressure, especially from something that's supposed to be my 'down time'. Some people understand this, but others will just go on and on about how I'm missing out and how I need to give such and such show a try. Even if I say I'll get around to watching it, it will come back to bite me a week later when they ask me what I thought of it.

It's getting to the point where I just want to lie to these people to get them to stop bugging me.

This happens to me all the time. I'm lucky I have prosopagnosia and can't keep track of what's going on since I can't recognize any of the characters, and nobody takes animation seriously so they don't recommend cartoons for me to watch that I'm not interested in. It's a built-in excuse, especially to people who have already seen my face-blindness in action.

The best I can offer is something like, "I'm sure it's a great show. I'm just not really into it at the moment." That's worked for people I know, but it might have to do with the people asking. I'm sure if someone's got it into their head that Game of Thrones or Doctor Who is the perfect show for everyone, they won't care even if you ease the blow to their precious entertainment by putting the reason on yourself.

Some people I know take it way too far, they're all like, "You don't like Doctor Who? You must be a horrible monster with no taste who hates fun!" And I'm all, "No, I'm just not into watching a show about an alien man-child who bums around space right now, okay?! Now shut up, I'm trying to watch Adventure Time. I wanna see if Finn and Flame Princess are ever getting back together. Oh, what's that? You don't watch Adventure Time? So why is it okay for you not to watch my show but not for me to not watch yours? ... Wait, what?"
    "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
    We are contented, because he says we are
    He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

I will admit, when I've finally broken down and watched the shows (or read the books) people insist I would like, they're generally right. But I wind up with a disk full of unwatched TV, because I don't feel like watching this one right now, that one I'm sick of but can't quite drop, etc.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by MrsEclipse View Post

Some people I know take it way too far, they're all like, "You don't like Doctor Who? You must be a horrible monster with no taste who hates fun!" And I'm all, "No, I'm just not into watching a show about an alien man-child who bums around space right now, okay?! Now shut up, I'm trying to watch Adventure Time. I wanna see if Finn and Flame Princess are ever getting back together. Oh, what's that? You don't watch Adventure Time? So why is it okay for you not to watch my show but not for me to not watch yours? ... Wait, what?"
        Yeah, that double standard drives me nuts. I guess some feel their TV shows are superior and that they don't have to justify it, especially if their show either a) has a huge fan base, or b) is considered "high art". I've even been told "you're willing to watch such and such show, but has never even given X a try?". As if my show is nothing but trash. And even if it was, I shouldn't have to justify personal tastes.

Comment

I've got a friend like this- He loves horror, being a huge fan of Walking Dead and American Horror Story. He's forever after me to watch those shows. I'm just not into horror like he is, and some things really bother me. Yes, I know it's special effects, but torture is something I really don't want images of in my head. He keeps nagging, saying "It sounds like you're afraid to watch it".

But perish the thought that he listen to music or watch shows that I suggest!

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            I will admit, when I've finally broken down and watched the shows (or read the books) people insist I would like, they're generally right. But I wind up with a disk full of unwatched TV, because I don't feel like watching this one right now, that one I'm sick of but can't quite drop, etc.
            Me too. That's usually how I get into shows and actually part of the reason I don't want to get into any more. I feel like I already watch enough TV and don't need anything more to get into. The other reason is if I end up not liking it, I'll end up getting crapped on for it (either I didn't give it enough of a chance or I just don't get it).

Comment

I just go with "I'll have to check it out."

Because checking it out being Wikipedia and IMDB isn't anybody else's business...
              I has a blog!

Comment

^

There's always TV Tropes too (seriously, that's how I get most of my knowledge of media).

Comment

TvTropes is too much a time sink for getting a cursory knowledge check...
                  I has a blog!

Comment

This is me vs my coworkers on Breaking Bad. -.-

Yes, I understand its a good show. But its just not my kinda thing, thanks. Also, I honestly don't like watching shows as they're airing. I like to wait and pick up the whole season so I can watch it on my own pace, without commercials, and not have to wait a week whenever a show pitches a stupid cliffhanger. Which western shows are so want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      ... and not have to wait a week whenever a show pitches a stupid cliffhanger.
                      I'm of the opinion that any show that pitches a cliffhanger and subsequently is canceled should be required to give at least a brief outline of the resolution. The Gates, The Nine Lives of Chloe King, Alcatraz, and Endgame all do this, to name just a few.

That said, I'm not a fan of being pressured to watch shows, either. I don't care how good The Walking Dead is, I'm likely never going to watch it. I don't like zombies, and I don't like gore, so that's two strikes already, and after four episodes, I didn't like any of the characters, either, so it's not going on my playlist.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'd rather have that than my nerd raging elitist small gang of coworkers who are always reminding me how they don't watch TV, they READ, maybe I should try it some time.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                          I'd rather have that than my nerd raging elitist small gang of coworkers who are always reminding me how they don't watch TV, they READ, maybe I should try it some time.
                          Those people are annoying too.

I don't know why reading gives someone a sense of superiority over those who watch tv, but they need to live and let live.

I'm sick of anyone telling me what to watch or read, or implying that I am an idiot for watching or reading what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                            I'm sick of anyone telling me what to watch or read, or implying that I am an idiot for watching or reading what I like.
                            Can I just make a case for those of us who do it politely? I mean, my friends and I share a number of interests, and when we find a show or book we think the others might like, we say "Hey, you should check this out" with no added pressure. Although, to be polite, we usually do at least make the attempt to watch/read the thing to give an honest opinion back...
                            I has a blog!

Comment

^

I don't have a problem with that. It's those who insist that drive me batty.

Comment

Working...
                              X