"Would You Like To Donate?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Would You Like To Donate?"

This is something I'm getting reeeeallly sick of hearing everywhere I go. Half the businesses have some charity they want people to donate to. This is fine, but what's annoying is how they push it with every transaction. Walgreens is the worst offender for this. They have this treats for troops that's a pretty good program (buying the store's candy for the troops) and I've donated to it a couple of times, but I haven't donated everytime and hate being made to feel like a selfish bastard for those times I don't.

Even worse is when you want to pay something with a card, you get this message asking you to donate to breast cancer awareness month! Now they have machines asking you if you want to donate! And that's not even getting into the telemarketing calls asking for money.

If I want to donate, I'll donate on my own time damn it!

To me, it would depend on whether their collecting is ongoing or temporary.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I made 200 bucks out of finally breaking Store X's stranglehold on the top March of Dimes regional fundraiser slot(petty franchise politics)- and I did it by asking every customer a minimum of two times. I lost my voice reciting that patter.

They nag 'cause it works. People don't donate very much when someone isn't reminding them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
        And that's not even getting into the telemarketing calls asking for money.
        Those are the worst, if for no other reason than the number of scammers these days. It's simply not safe to do business with anyone who cold-calls you these days. I don't even answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.
        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

They have this treats for troops that's a pretty good program (buying the store's candy for the troops) and I've donated to it a couple of times, but I haven't donated everytime and hate being made to feel like a selfish bastard for those times I don't.
          Oh, hey, by the way, I'm going to do a fundraiser for Wounded Warrior Project on my own. Only a selfish bastard wouldn't help out.

Seriously though, I don't mind being asked once while I'm out shopping. I just hate the pushy people who won't take no for an answer.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepwalker View Post
            People don't donate very much when someone isn't reminding them.
            You mean when someone isn't putting them on the spot in public under the threat of shame, guilt / shame essentially. -.-

Comment

I ask but I don't guilt trip. Well, I rarely ask anyhow. My coworkers do a better job than I do. I am not a sales person. I prefer stock work. But of course in retail I gotta do sales and ask for donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                You mean when someone isn't putting them on the spot in public under the threat of shame, guilt / shame essentially. -.-
                Yeah, and I admit that it's part of the reason I donate sometimes.

I still hate it though.

Comment

I grow weary of the donation requests, sure, but I wouldn't be as annoyed if every business also didn't ask if I had their reward card, credit card, signed up for coupons by email/mail, asked for my email/mail address, asked for my zip code, etc.

Let me just buy my crap and leave, thank you very much.

And one of the local charities that I do like, has now increased the value of the donation coupons they conveniently place at checkout. You used to be able to purchase coupons in $1, $2 or $5 values, and now the smallest value starts at $2. Sure I could just have the store plug in a specific value of my choosing, yet those donation coupons are right in your face with a suggested minimum donation. Although it shouldn't, that change really bugged me.

Comment

I remember doing stuff like this when I worked at the gas station. I hated it because a lot of people didn't want to do it and they felt pressured by us to make donations.

I also get asked a lot to donate while I am shopping and I won't. I donate to groups that I want to, not when someone asks me to. This is the reason I like self checkout lanes. No pressure to donate when I want to go home.
                    "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Originally posted by tabbyblack13 View Post
                      This is the reason I like self checkout lanes. No pressure to donate when I want to go home.
                      One of the local grocers has a pop-up on the credit card pin pad where you need to accept or decline making a donation to *local charity* before you can sign for your purchase.

Comment

Around here they mainly just have donation boxes or the donation coupons you can grab at the check out. I don't remember being asked to donate at a check out anywhere around here. Let alone have it pop up on the pin pad.

If there is a donation drive going on of some sort the people doing that are usually separate from the cashiers and elsewhere in the store or outside of it.

Comment

Another pet hate: Being asked to donate more when I already donated, and THEN being guilt tripped. Had this happen to me a couple of times and it pissed me off.

Comment

I've grown extremely cynical and distrusting of people and organizations asking for donations. Sadly, I've grown the same attitude towards the pan handlers on the streets here in Vegas. Far too many scammers out there to give blindly.
                            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Another pet hate: Being asked to donate more when I already donated, and THEN being guilt tripped. Had this happen to me a couple of times and it pissed me off.
                              A friend of mine used to donate to PBS. One time, after she made a donation, they signed her up for their newsletter and asked her for more money. She thought that was kind of rude asking for more money when she had already donated, so she ignored the request. A couple months later, they sent her another letter, basically guilt-tripping about how much it was costing them to send her the newsletter she didn't ask for.

Like I said, my friend used to donate to PBS.
                              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X