When "Outsourcing" Goes Awry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When "Outsourcing" Goes Awry

So the store I work in is part of a larger chain, with stores in four provinces. The province I live in is quite climatically different than the province our head office is located in. This becomes a problem when we start talking about the weather.

The climate at our head office is quite mild, with winters not dipping too far below 0 celsius in the winter times, and summer temperatures rarely above 25. The climate in my province is far more volatile, with winters getting to the -50 point on occasion and summers sometimes hitting the 40 mark.

... Guess where our climate control office is located?

That's right, the heating and air con systems are handled by a company in the mild province. So when it's warm outside here, the heating is still cranked to handle our usually-arctic weather. The worst part is my department has a wall of TVs, every single one putting out heat. Right now, I am working in a sauna - it is over 25 degrees in here, and I do a lot of physical labour. What does our air-con company say when we call them?

"We're showing that you're in [Province]. Isn't it really cold there all the time?"

You've gotta be freaking kidding me. It's above 0 right now! Do you not have the internet? The Weather Network? Do you even try?

"Well, it can take a day for the heating to adjust when the weather changes."

It's been above 0 for more than a week! Again, do you have any semblance of a brain??

"Oh. Well... We'll change it."

Damn right you will.

I've worked here for just about five years and we go through this song and dance every time the weather changes. I hate the fact that we can't control it locally. It's such a freaking headache.

Call me an idiot, but I didn't even consider something as local as climate control to be handled by the home office. I could see the home office setting expectations for thermostat regulation (i.e. "please don't set the thermostat above 70 or below 65") but are you telling me that each store's thermostat is effectively located in the home office, instead of each individual store?

If so, that makes the corporate execs at the home office a special type of immense idiot. One that transcends the usual headquarter lunacy that you normally see.

Comment

I don't get why they make things so complicated in the first place. Even with the settings only accessible elsewhere, why would they not have a thermostat on site that turns on the heat if the store gets below one temperature and the AC if it gets above another and then let it do its job?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I wish I was making things up, but we literally have no access to temperature controls at a store level. Everything is handled by a third-party company located in a different province.

There are so many better ways that the set-up could have been handled, but the excuse I got when I asked why they handled things the way they did? "It's cheaper this way".

It bloody well isn't, when you're running the furnace like mad when we really don't need it. And we're just one store! I can't imagine how bad this problem is when it's spread across the 100-ish stores in the chain.

Comment

Ours is at least controlled regionally. Only issue we have is that they turn things down/off overnight. We had a guy get sick to the point of nausea from overheating before they started letting the AC run a bit overnight.
          I has a blog!

Comment

It gets hot in my store quick. I live 100+ miles south from the office that controls the thermostats. If its cold up there it must be cold here. No, not really. Also, doing physical labor was hard when sick and you can't take the heater off.

Comment

Expecting people to perform physical labour in an environment that's hot enough to make them sick? Hello occupational health and safety laws! Don't know about your jurisdiction, but where I live they include the right to refuse unsafe work.

Hey corporate, do you know why the work isn't being done? We're waiting (on the clock, naturally) until you either let us turn down the heat, or you provide us with proper PPE (ice vests, etc.) so that we can do the work SAFELY.

Comment

Working...
              X