Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post

But your list leaves off Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
    You mean that ridiculously long name for a Welsh train station that's a Victorian publicity stunt?

Ahh we call it Llanfair PG on our maps. my other half can rattle off the whole long name quite effectively though.

Comment

My favorite misspoken place name was hearing some yanks pronouce Rotorua.

The correct pronounciation is Row-to-roo-ah. They pronounced it Row-tor-raw-raw

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyHate View Post
        The correct pronounciation is Row-to-roo-ah.
        That should be easy to remember: "And away go troubles down the drain."
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

ARghawrable. I use to have a coworker who would use Internet acronyms, cat macros ( as in he would say shit like "I can haz?" out loud ) and l33tspeak in regular conversation. Drove me insane. When someone actually says "rotfl" outloud instead of actually laughing, its hard not to hit them. ;p

Originally posted by patiokitty
          I live in a province where how something is spelled is often not how it's pronounced. Fine examples of this would be Topsail Road which is pronounced Tops'll Road. Or Pouch Cove, pronounced as Pooch Cove.
          Oh, jumpin' Jesus, someone lives them in the Maritimes 'ey do.

Comment

Originally posted by patiokitty View Post
            I live in a province where how something is spelled is often not how it's pronounced. Fine examples of this would be Topsail Road which is pronounced Tops'll Road. Or Pouch Cove, pronounced as Pooch Cove. And we aren't going to get into how they butcher any French place name here either.....
            I am a Canadian citizen, born in England, who lived in Downeast Maine for well over 10 years. Never in my 50+ years of life on this planet have I heard so many instances of this phenomenon.

The town of 'Mariaville' was pronounced 'Mariah-ville' (like Mariah Carey) for instance and the Mainers were famous for butchering French names.

I had a dear sweet friend who pronounced the word 'mannerisms' : man-yer-isms. She refused to pronounce it the way the rest of the world did.

Comment

My Grandmother's a Mainer. I've not picked up much from her, it's been a decade or so, but I still have a tendency to make Sure two syllables.
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

Oh, jumpin' Jesus, someone lives them in the Maritimes 'ey do.
                I surely do! As east as you can get in Canada - I am closer to England than I am to BC these days.

Comment

I surely do! As east as you can get in Canada - I am closer to England than I am to BC these days.
                  Just like some people in Kenora and the surrounding area want to break away from Ontario and join Manitoba. They're closer to Edmonton (capital of Alberta) than they are to Toronto (capital of Ontario) - and Saskatchewan and Manitoba are between Alberta and Ontario.

Comment

High Street is pronounced Hayett Street around here. Shore is Shewer, Port is sorta Powatt.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                      Just like some people in Kenora and the surrounding area want to break away from Ontario and join Manitoba. They're closer to Edmonton (capital of Alberta) than they are to Toronto (capital of Ontario) - and Saskatchewan and Manitoba are between Alberta and Ontario.
                      Ontario is HUGE! They should have divided it into two separate provinces instead of keeping it whole when Confederation first started coming into being.

Here on the island there are many people who think that we should never have joined Canada in 1949 because on the whole the province has been treated like a backwater cousin that doesn't know how to take care of itself. Republic of Newfoundland all the way!

And I'll be honest - I'm not even FROM Newfoundland. I was born in Peterborough ON back in the early 70's and lived most of my life in BC up until coming up on seven years ago, but I have always admired the Newfoundland spirit. When I first stepped off of the plane that brought my son and I here I knew we were home...it just felt right. Sure, sometimes the pronunciations of things throw me off but I've been picking them (and a large part of the common slang) up quickly enough. I think the only reason I can type and not use a long of slang is because of my English degree, I swear. To listen to me speak sometimes you'd swear I was born and raised here!

Comment

Ontario is HUGE! They should have divided it into two separate provinces instead of keeping it whole when Confederation first started coming into being.
                        On a trip from Toronto to the interior of B.C., roughly half my mileage was before I hit Manitoba. Someone going from Winnipeg to Montreal will travel further on 17/417 in Ontario than the length of I10 across Texas.

I have always admired the Newfoundland spirit.
                        What's so great about Screech? I'm sure Jester can recommend something better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          ARghawrable. I use to have a coworker who would use Internet acronyms, cat macros ( as in he would say shit like "I can haz?" out loud ) and l33tspeak in regular conversation.
                          I sometimes drop a "Do not want" or "I can haz nap nao" at work now and then. But, it's nearly always with a certain coworker who is a fan of the Cheezburger network

But what drives me nuts? The morons who call our city "Picksburg." Seriously? These fools need a boot to the nads. The city's name is spelled P-i-t-t-s-b-u-r-g-h. Do you see a fucking C or K in there? No, so quit fucking adding it!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post

What's so great about Screech? I'm sure Jester can recommend something better.
                            I'm pretty sure Jester can recommend something better, but I like Screech It's a nice Jamaican rum that still has a bit of a molasses undertone to it. Some people prefer to sip it, but I wouldn't really call it a sipping rum at all. And it tastes amazing mixed with rootbeer or Dr. Pepper, not normally soft drinks I would think to mix rum with either.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyHate View Post
                              The word is EFTPOS - Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale.
                              little backtracky and offtopic, but i totally pronounce that "eeft pee-oh-ess" because i feel like i'm saying "F-in' P.O.S (piece of shit)" which is about what ours is.
                              All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I pronounce it "card reader."
                                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                                X