discussion=/=argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discussion=/=argument

I'm getting sick and tired of even trying to talk to people much anymore because it seems that trying to have any sort of discussion means you're "arguing".

I admit I tend to research things a fair bit before forming an opinion, because I'm one of those weird people that likes to back up my opinion with facts(present me differing facts, or a different way of interpreting the facts and it's likely I'll change my mind-I like learning).

But lately I'll fact-check something(yes i fact check news stories ), share it on fb and get "this doesn't fit my worldview, so it's wrong and when you ask me why I hold my opinion I'll dodge with several logical fallacies, offer zero to the conversation, call you names, and say I'm not arguing about this with an ignorant drinker of the kool-aid."(that was in response to an article about a study replicated 3x so far with the same results, published in a peer reviewed biomedical journal{one of the top 1% journals, out of 7,000, with only a 16% publishing rate*}-I actually read several stories on the study, and the replication studies. and the abstracts with the funding sources/conflicts of interest listed-she read the title and dismissed it).

It's just weird.

Has our world become so full of echo chambers of our own opinions that any dissent or attempt to rationally discuss is met with outright hostility, and asking "why is your opinion x?" is "starting an argument"?

*not an "appeal to authority", the "this study is wrong(offering no reason why it was wrong)" person, claimed training in the field, yet in effect, said the people that wrote her textbooks were stupid(members of the editorial board for journal write the textbooks for the subject, because they're the top researchers).
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Well...you could end up with the crazies I've stumbled across who have to turn everything into an argument or a tiff.

Because it just wouldn't make sense to have people getting along, now would it?

Comment

Working...
    X