Calendar memes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calendar memes

Got this is starting to get annoying. All the people who are spreading around the pull crap how a certain month is special and only happens once in 823 and is magical and mystical and based on some Chinese mysticism.

In this case it was August and its configuration of Saturdays and Sundays.

There are only 14 possible calendar configurations and they're used over and over again.

2014 is one of those 14 calendars and it was the same as 2003, 1997, 1986, 1975, '69, '58, '47, '41, and so forth and so on. It'll be back in 2025 and 2031 and 2042 and so on and so forth.

This isn't magical, this isn't mystical and even if it was true and this only happened every 823 years...China didn't adopt the current Gregorian Calendar system until 1912. Just a smidge over a hundred years ago. The Gregorian calendar itself wasn't even developed until Pope Gregory XIII came up with it in 1582. Again a little younger than the 823 years.

These memes are driving me spare.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

More obviously, any given month must necessarily start on one of the seven days of the week. If a month has 31 days, it will necessarily have five of some three consecutive days of the week.

The frustrating thing is that this isn't something where someone noticed a funny-looking month and made a mistake in how unusual it was; it's something people deliberately alter a couple times a year and send around again, for no purpose other than being obnoxious. The last one I saw didn't even have the usual Friday-Saturday-Sunday or Saturday-Sunday-Monday arrangement; the days were out in the middle of the week.

Still, as obnoxious lie spreading goes, it's not nearly as bad as trying to convince people they can charge their phones in the microwave or that a software update makes them waterproof.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
    X