Well, Fuck Me Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Fuck Me Running

So I finally meet a great guy....and he's not even going to be here long.

It would be just my luck.

I met a guy a couple of weekends ago who is working here from out of state for the past few months. He is from down south. I've been treated to doors being opened for me (even the car door!), him paying for dinners and bar tabs, pretty much being treated great and having a great time but without the usual ulterior motive that most guys have when I go on dates.

Oh, that would be just how it goes. It would.

Yea, that's about right. I finally found someone I want to marry. She Canadian (so causes some annoyance with my security clearance). If she fails out of law school, she's kicked out of the country. She only gets a few months after she graduates (which is in two years from now still) to stay in the US to pass the Bar then she's kicked out. She is a six hour drive (without traffic).

I can never find someone that I match with for personality and I'm attracted to that lives near me. I've also been interested in joining the Air Force, but that involves moving every 3-4 years which means she'll have to start over at a new firm every time we move so it'll screw up her career.

It can never just be easy.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

could always try the LRD thing. i know, i know, LRD's are hard as hell, and fail a lot, etc. but they can be very nice while they do last. even if it's a 'let's be friends for now and see how the chips fall later' thing.
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        I've also been interested in joining the Air Force, but that involves moving every 3-4 years which means she'll have to start over at a new firm every time we move so it'll screw up her career.
        Does the Air Force have a JAG division? She might be able to get a job there, in which case your moves would have her going to a different branch of the same firm rather than a new firm. Also, there are some franchised storefront law firms - this would also provide mobility within the same firm.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
          Does the Air Force have a JAG division? She might be able to get a job there, in which case your moves would have her going to a different branch of the same firm rather than a new firm. Also, there are some franchised storefront law firms - this would also provide mobility within the same firm.
          They do, but what guarantee is there that she'll be transferred everywhere I go or vice versa?

Also, she doesn't want to give up her Canadian citizenship or EU citizenship.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

My wife and I started in an LDR, initially a 6 hour drive, then a two day drive. We were engaged for two years, seeing each other twice a month if we were lucky.

I decided to emigrate to the United States to be with her and this past Saturday we celebrated 6 years of marriage together.

Was it easy? No
            Was it aggravating? Yes
            Did my family go along with it? Not all of them
            Were there immigration headaches? Yes
            Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY.

As far as citizenship goes, I'll be getting my U.S. citizenship next year (have a 10 year green card right now).

Two things about that:

1) You don't HAVE to become a U.S. citizen to stay in the country, If you want you can simply renew the green card every 10 years.

2) Although the U.S. citizenship oath requires you to verbally say that you are giving up all other allegiances and citizenships, the Canadian government doesn't actually recognize this. Many people hold dual citizenship.

If I couldn't have dual, I would choose to retain my Canadian citizenship and keep my green card.

Comment

LDR suck but can be worth it.

My wife was a 13 hour flight away for most of the two years before we got married. In that time we spent a grand total of 3 months together.

Comment

Working...
              X