This Is NOT the Time or Place for That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is NOT the Time or Place for That

I have a co-worker who recently graduated from Liberty University. He complained about the graduation ceremony, specifically about the commencement speaker, Bobby Jindal. Did Bobby say encouraging things about hard work, achievement, and success? No, his entire commencement speech was about how he thinks Barack Obama sucks.

You mean to tell me that you cannot put aside politics for ten minutes to give a proper commencement speech? Are you that obsessed with our president? You are pathetic Bobby.

Actually, that reminds me of a wedding I attended more than ten years ago. The minister went on a diatribe about how marriage was not for gays. I really wanted to tell him that's not appropriate for a wedding.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

I have a co-worker who recently graduated from Liberty University.
    My condolences.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
      Actually, that reminds me of a wedding I attended more than ten years ago. The minister went on a diatribe about how marriage was not for gays. I really wanted to tell him that's not appropriate for a wedding.
      You should have. Seriously, that is NOT the time or place....I'm hoping that wasn't mid-ceremony either....

I have my own issues with the celebrants here, but unfortunately this part is law. Basically celebrants are required by law to state that marriage is between one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others. Most celebrants will insert this at a point where most people are tuning out
      At the last wedding I attended (that of my cousins), they'd chosen to hold a dawn ceremony. The celebrant put the above line in towards the end when most of the guests were still sleepy.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
        You should have. Seriously, that is NOT the time or place....I'm hoping that wasn't mid-ceremony either....

Basically celebrants are required by law to state that marriage is between one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others.
        Unfortunately, it was right before "You may kiss the bride." That is a terrible law, BTW. Thankfully, that is not law here.
        Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Unfortunately, it was right before "You may kiss the bride." That is a terrible law, BTW. Thankfully, that is not law here.
          I should add that this particular point applies to anyone regardless of whether you are a priest, rabbi, imam, guru, reverend, Father, monsigneur, vicar or celebrant.

We also had the luck of the celebrant's microphone cutting out mid-ceremony, so while she technically wasn't breaking any law, it wasn't loud enough to hear her clearly.

Comment

at what point did the microphone cut out? as if it was times so that was all you couldn't hear, you have to wonder if it was really an accident...

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
              at what point did the microphone cut out? as if it was times so that was all you couldn't hear, you have to wonder if it was really an accident...
              It was cutting in and out during the ceremony, so there wasn't any specific time.

Comment

I have a co-worker who recently graduated from Liberty University. He complained about the graduation ceremony, specifically about the commencement speaker, Bobby Jindal. Did Bobby say encouraging things about hard work, achievement, and success? No, his entire commencement speech was about how he thinks Barack Obama sucks.
                Reminds me of the time when Rick Santorum gave my class' commencement speech in '98. Rather than simply repeat the same old points about hard work, achievement, and success...he went on a rant about labor unions and how they were "destroying the country." Granted, I have my own issues towards unions--I live in the middle of SW PA, the heart of the former steel industry--but that's beside the point. You don't come into a small town, where mining (and unions) are a huge point of life, and start blasting them. Needless to say, he got booed off the stage. Considering the actions that some union members have used during the strikes (blocking roads, and general intimidation), I'm surprised they didn't attempt to lynch his ass

Comment

Working...
                X