Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something?

On another message board, a parent was complaining about her son downloading free apps on the Kindle...ummm..what is the big deal if it's free apps?? Am I missing something..is it just the fact of downloading without permission?? I can understand that, but I do not understand the big deal if it's something that is free and kid-friendly.
    Last edited by kibbles; 07-02-2014, 11:36 PM.

Without knowing more about why she was complaining, it's hard to say.

Is she mad that her child defied her pre-set rules about downloading apps?

Is she mad that her child did this without asking her permission?

Is she mad at the type of apps that they were? For instance, does she not approve of games or silly entertainment (like sound effects) apps?

Were these apps free to download, but Pay-to-Play like Candy Crush?

Parents can set rules for just about whatever they wish when it comes to raising their children, regardless of what level of harm we perceive them to induce or prevent.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

That makes sense..I've heard lots of horror stories of credit card bills being racked up with apps that kids downloaded without the parents' permission, but I figured free..good on you kid! LOL!

Comment

Also, without reading the ToS, do you really know what you are downloading? How does the kid know that the app they just downloaded didn't just authorize the creator of the software to access all personal information that's ever been entered? I highly doubt the kid took the time to read it.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          Also, without reading the ToS, do you really know what you are downloading? How does the kid know that the app they just downloaded didn't just authorize the creator of the software to access all personal information that's ever been entered? I highly doubt the kid took the time to read it.
          And free games are especially notorious for that kind of stuff, too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
            And free games are especially notorious for that kind of stuff, too.
            They definitely are.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I don't have a Kindle but can it use someone's dataplan or is it wifi only? If it's using the data plan it could be chewing up their megs unexpectedly, on top of everything everyone else has mentioned.

Comment

Never mind.
                Last edited by HYHYBT; 07-05-2014, 06:25 AM. Reason: Can't delete totally.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Not to mention the in-app purchases that could be made if the parent hasn't set the parental controls properly. In the hands of an oblivious kid, that can add up fast.

Comment

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
                    Not to mention the in-app purchases that could be made if the parent hasn't set the parental controls properly. In the hands of an oblivious kid, that can add up fast.
                    Very good point..free things aren't necessarily fully free.

Comment

I am the wrong dempgraphic for free games, I have no problem waiting 4 hours for mining to end to start another project =) I never buy gems in Dungeon Keeper Mobile =)

Comment

Working...
                      X