Twits at the Zoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twits at the Zoo

I love animals. I have a fascination for the vast variety of creatures on this planet and how they have evolved to fit their niches. My son is not an animal lover (he finds them biologically interesting, but he's not one to pet every dog or rescue ducklings from a sewer grate like I am) but I constantly try to instill in him the same interest and respect for wildlife that I feel.

Today we went to the zoo. My son asked pertinent questions and observed the animals with interest while my husband and I pointed out our favorites and did our best to answer him- looking at the easily accessible information cards or asking zookeepers if we didn't know the correct answers. We pointed out how they do things similar to the way we do things, to hopefully give him some empathy with them ("Look, the polar bears have balls to play with just like you do. Animals like to play too." "See, the bonobo has hands like ours.")

But all day I heard,

"Mom, what's that?" "I dunno, some kind of monkey."
    "Look at that fox's ears!" "Yeah, they look funny."

No attempt to see what kind of monkey it was (or ape, since most people can't seem to tell the difference) or explain that the bat-fox lives in the desert and its huge ears help disperse heat. No attempt to impart accurate information to kids who were interested.

And then in the chimpanzee exhibit this kid was running around shrieking, "Ooh ooh! Bananas! Ooh ooh!" Not only was this in an enclosed viewing area (and he was LOUD, and would not shut up) but I made a point of telling my son, 'Chimps do like bananas, but so do people. And they do lots of other things besides that." It was just...disrespectful, I felt.

And don't get me started on the adults who were standing right next to a 20-foot tall Masai giraffe and were too busy playing on their cell phones to look up and be awed (well, I'm a bit biased there- giraffes are my favorite). How can you expect kids to be interested in learning when the parents themselves have no interest in learning or teaching them? The key to saving our planet's diversity is in making the kids see how amazing it all is.

On a lighter note, we got to touch a Galapagos tortoise, and the keeper asked how old we thought it was. My son said five. I expected it to be much older and that she asked as a way to surprise him, since they can live to well over a hundred and he has no concept of numbers that big, but he was right on the money- the tortoise was five years old.

At least you guys didn't come during mating season for said tortoises.

The zoo back home had two giant tortoises (not sure if they were Galapagos ones though) and the last time I went with my family just happened to be on the day they chose to mate.

The kids definitely got a lesson at least!

Comment

Ana, the very people you have described probably have been the subject of the Customers Suck forum.

When I was at the National Zoo in Washington, DC, a woman and her daughter were admiring a tiger. The woman said, "Isn't he cute?"

I said to the people around me, "He's cute as long as he's on that side of the wall and I'm on this side."

It was quite obvious that he was a male tiger. He had the balls to show us what he had.
      Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
        And don't get me started on the adults who were standing right next to a 20-foot tall Masai giraffe and were too busy playing on their cell phones to look up and be awed (well, I'm a bit biased there- giraffes are my favorite). How can you expect kids to be interested in learning when the parents themselves have no interest in learning or teaching them?
        I know what you mean.
        1. Why are you (not the poster, people in general) even bothering to go to the zoo if you're just going to mess with your phone and not even look at the animals? You can do that at home without wasting gas or admission money!
        2. Nobody wants to learn anything anymore. It's sad. The world is so big and beautiful and fascinating, with so many things to see and do and learn about, yet nobody is interested in broadening their horizons.
        3. RTFS! There are signs next to the exhibits saying what animal is in there. Don't just shrug and go, "I dunno, some kind of monkey." RTFS and learn something!

I would've been looking up at that beautiful giraffe, too. I love animals.
        People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
        If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Does any zoo, in its primate exhibit, have the pathway that visitors follow "wrap around" so that at one point, they've got cage bars separating 2 sections of the pathway - with signs on both sides of the bars identifying the critters on the other side as "Homo Sapiens"?

Comment

Back in the day, even into the 20th century, zoos DID have human exhibits. Usually Africans, or Inuit, or Aborigines or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
              Back in the day, even into the 20th century, zoos DID have human exhibits. Usually Africans, or Inuit, or Aborigines or the like.
              Funny you mention that.

From time to time, I've heard of libraries having "living book" days. Basically people volunteer their time to be "borrowed" by others, who will ask them questions about the things they want to know (for instance, a Muslim woman is commonly among them). The "living books" are under no obligation to be polite and can strike back if a borrower is particularly jerkish, but the borrowers also need to show respect.

Some of the people that are "borrowed" are things like people in wheelchairs, people of different ethnicities and so on.

Comment

Working...
              X