People with no indoor voice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People with no indoor voice.

or should I say people who CAN'T TALK ANY LOWER THAN THIS. They can never whisper or even talk at a normal volume, they have to talk REALLY LOUDLY AND OBNOXIOUSLY so that everyone can hear them. I don't even know if they just naturally talk like that or if they are just inconsiderate douches, but what ever the reason is, they are ANNOYING.

In my experience, I've learned that the loudest people are loud because they grew up in a household full of loud people. My wife is this way. She's not at all angry, mean, or anything but sweet, but she just has a loud voice, since in her family the only way to get any attention was by being louder than the other loud members of her family.

That, and she's in theatre, where you have to have a loud voice to project to an audience.

Comment

My cousins are like this and it's because my aunt has a hearing loss but refuses to do anything about it. As a result, my cousins had to talk loudly from the time they were toddlers and never knew differently.

Comment

My husband was one of these, he was told his whole life to talk more quietly. By the time he was an adult I only had to remind him every seven or eight sentences to tone it down in public. My son is also one of these, being a child he doesn't have the same control yet, I have to remind him every second or third sentence.

This is just the way they talk, and without a constant conscious effort to talk 'unnaturally quietly' that is how they will continue to talk. Constantly. To everyone, all the time (neither of them ever stop(s/ed) talking for more than 12 seconds either). I've gotten used to it, but I do feel your pain.

Comment

One of the guys at work is this way. I think it's a mix of living with his elderly, partially death mother and hearing loss on his own part. He's not a spring chicken by a long shot. A nice enough guy, but we all hate sitting by him.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRoseSpiral View Post
            his elderly, partially death mother
            I usually try not pick on typos but that was the best one I've seen in a while, made me laugh.

Comment

My mom is like this, for a different reason. She's been a teacher all her working life.

Some people are just like that, and it can be annoying but I guess when they're adults it can no longer be helped. I get annoyed though by parents who let or even encourage their kids to talk as loud as they want to, anywhere (including my bookstore and the library). Once at work, at a respected bookstore, some kid of 4 or 5 had a toy microphone and was singing dumb kid songs (Twinkle Twinkle etc) right by the front doors, at the top of her lungs, while her parents giggled and applauded. I commented to a customer, "Guess no one's going to teach her to use her inside voice." After I was finished with the customer I asked a manager to tell them to can it (nicely, of course). They left right after the manager spoke to them so I guess they were mad.

Comment

The PIC can tell when I've had an especially hard day in retail, because I'd come home and demand total silence for the rest of the day. The amount of people who talk at the top of their voices in public drives me mad.

Comment

Even worse, are the people who TALK LIKE THIS on their phones in public. Seriously, nobody cares about your rash, your loser husband/wife, or the party you're going to tonight. Shut the fuck up.

Comment

Some people only do it while talking on the phone, which is why it's so much more annoying at a restaurant for someone to be talking on their phone than to others at the table. Mom's really bad about that.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                      Even worse, are the people who TALK LIKE THIS on their phones in public. Seriously, nobody cares about your rash, your loser husband/wife, or the party you're going to tonight. Shut the fuck up.
                      Had to deal with one of those idiots in college. Some trashy woman was talking about her sex life while everyone else was trying to study. She just couldn't keep it at a low volume.

Comment

actually, as one of the people who DO tend to be louder when they're on the phone, there IS a reason. In my case, it's because I have a lot of family members going deaf. I I don't talk loudly, they can't hear. I DO try to go somewhere private to take calls though for this reason. When i'm calling someone who CAN hear me normally, I tend to be quieter.

Also, be fair- in quite a few cases, you need to talk louder so the person on the other end can hear you over the background noise.

Comment

My mom is the worst on the phone. I think she thinks everyone else can't hear her.

She embarrasses the hell out of me if she goes on her phone while we're in public.

Comment

My mom holds the phone about two foot from her ear then screams so they can hear her, or she clips her Bluetooth to her shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                              actually, as one of the people who DO tend to be louder when they're on the phone, there IS a reason. In my case, it's because I have a lot of family members going deaf. I I don't talk loudly, they can't hear. I DO try to go somewhere private to take calls though for this reason. When i'm calling someone who CAN hear me normally, I tend to be quieter.

Also, be fair- in quite a few cases, you need to talk louder so the person on the other end can hear you over the background noise.
                              I have to agree with this - when I worked in the church office, we had a few congregation members whom I had to speak loudly/slowly to on the phone, otherwise they had trouble hearing me. (I tried to be patient because these were older people with hearing problems, but still had some really frustrating conversations)

Comment

Working...
                              X