People who think CS is "NotAlwaysRight.com"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who think CS is "NotAlwaysRight.com"

If I want to read fiction, I will go to a site that specializes in it.

I do realize that sometimes, life can be stranger than fiction, but I absolutely cringe anymore when I am reading a story on CS that is obviously so contrived and off the wall that my BS detectors go right into overload.
    I read the little gem and just shake my head, thinking, "There is no f***ing way this is true!"

Seriously, some days, we don't know whether to move them to Literary or not.
    It's especially funny when a Munchhausen marvel gets posted in the wrong section and it's reported by members as such.
    I just laugh and think, "Of course it's in the wrong section. It should be in Literary," and then I refrain from actually moving it there.
    Last edited by Ree; 08-09-2014, 08:04 PM.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

"Munchausen marvel?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      "Munchausen marvel?
      Baron von Munchhausen - was famous for his tall tales about his adventures.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I think I know exactly which stories you've been reading recently to provoke such a reaction, and I agree with you.

It's one thing if an unbelievable story happens once to someone who otherwise has more "run of the mill" stories. It's another if every single week someone has a new outrageous story.

I worked at a drugstore at a shopping mall, and I can tell you I got a high frequency of crazies compared to other places I worked in retail, either in the form of immature adolescents, whiny EW adults, or shoplifters who will try anything to get something past my eyes pointed at the front of the store. And even I had maybe 3 truly extraordinary stories in a given year, if that. The rest of the time I just had your usual customers who couldn't read the sale sign correctly and whined about it for a little bit before giving into reality and buying the item at the price I gave them.

Except for Friday night, when the kids came out. That truly was a weekly ordeal with kids trying everything they could to either piss me off, go "wtf" or get their five-finger discount. Even then, though, it was the same shenanigans every Friday night, with the very occasional gem of a story that comes out.

Comment

Its still getting worse is it? I barely read CS at all anymore as I don't trust half the posters. >.>

Comment

I get some crazy idiots at my store all the time. Just not crazy enough to be escalated to something else crazier.

Comment

I have a story from when I first started working, but everytime I think of posting it I stop myself because I know people will call bullshit and say I'm a liar. I just mostly stick to commenting every now and then, if I think something is worth posting I'll put it up.
              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
                I have a story from when I first started working, but everytime I think of posting it I stop myself because I know people will call bullshit and say I'm a liar.
                But that's the thing.
                You don't post this kind of over the top nonsense every.single.time.
                If you posted it, I would probably believe it.
                Point to Ponder:

Comment

I guess that's just the double-edged sword that the FTSTS rule is.

(Reminds me that I just saw a post in NAW Unfiltered wherein the customer got beaten and locked in a basement for 10 years for ordering a hamburger that was sold out.... now, THERE is an exaggeration )

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Its still getting worse is it? I barely read CS at all anymore as I don't trust half the posters. >.>
                    Ironically, you probably had the highest frequency of crazies and outrageous stories out of everyone at CS, yet given the job you had, I have no doubts of their truth.

Comment

Overall I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm feeling like a story is just too far out there.

I've got stories I just don't post partly because I don't need to, I've let those feelings go, but also because they are so far out there, I'm not sure anyone will believe it:
                      - Working nights at Timmies I once stood on the counter and yelled at the crowd of about 40 drunken idiots 'If someone doesn't get THAT asshole out of my store in the next ten seconds NO ONE gets served tonight'
                      - Due to a miscommunication over whether a house was empty I accidently walked into a trio coupling (tripling?) in a living room
                      - I watched my coworker eat an accidently-cut-off portion of another coworkers body, for a very small amount of money
                      - I've had a customer SCREAM at me, for warning him of impending danger (It's my fucking house you stuck up bitch, I'll do whatever I want!)
                      - I got fired from one job for punching a customer in the face, no one would ever believe what he said and did to me to earn that

Whenever I'm feeling doubtful I try to remember the unbelievable things I've experienced, and use that as a guidepost for what's plausible.

That being said there are a few people at CS I'm thinking of putting on ignore, it's getting hard to bite my tongue, it seems like every story from them is the same theme, and a bit hard to take. I'm sure the mods don't have that luxury, so that must be frustrating.

Comment

My BS sense gets triggered a bit here and there, one thing I always do is look at the number of posts that person has made and the smaller that number the less I believe them.

Comment

Actually, to be fair, I see the most fakes on "Notalwaysworking" in the 'Unfiltered' section.

On the FB page, we think its usually the same person and call him/her "Suemitter". The Suemitter seems to think posting stories that supposedly happen in places like Japan, or Sweden, that people would automatically believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                            Ironically, you probably had the highest frequency of crazies and outrageous stories out of everyone at CS, yet given the job you had, I have no doubts of their truth.
                            I certainly got a lot of.....yeah. But I worked in a call center. So all of my encounters were over the phone in a high volume business and thus have context. When I posted my end of week horror stories it seems like there's a lot of them. But I take hundreds of calls a shift from which only 1-4 a night were noteworthy. With the weekends usually providing the bulk of the idiocy.

Also its extremely rare I could do anything except endure in silent horror. I think that's what really gets me about the BS stories is that either the set up is immediate and blatantly outrageous and/or the poster gets some sort of "Fuck yeah!" last word retribution or something. You know, the sort of thing that would get the rest of us with real jobs fired in pretty short order.

Plus my output has completely stopped since I was grievously disabled for obvious reasons. I haven't been back to work in just over a year now.

Comment

I certainly got a lot of.....yeah. But I worked in a call center. So all of my encounters were over the phone in a high volume business and thus have context. When I posted my end of week horror stories it seems like there's a lot of them. But I take hundreds of calls a shift from which only 1-4 a night were noteworthy. With the weekends usually providing the bulk of the idiocy.
                              Right, plus you were in the overnight shift. Certain people who buy pants at 2am must have a few bolts loose. I wonder if the day shift ever got Vick.

Also its extremely rare I could do anything except endure in silent horror. I think that's what really gets me about the BS stories is that either the set up is immediate and blatantly outrageous and/or the poster gets some sort of "Fuck yeah!" last word retribution or something. You know, the sort of thing that would get the rest of us with real jobs fired in pretty short order.
                              Yeah... I mean, what made your stories amazing was your witty narration of what I'm sure you'd have absolutely loved to say without getting fired.

I'm sure with many of these BS stories on CS, there's some half truth to the story (there was a customer who took the misplacement of a sign personally and with extreme rage... but the cashier didn't tell her to f-off, and there was no police officer conveniently in the line who remembered the customer's face on some outstanding warrant memo he received the week before.

Plus my output has completely stopped since I was grievously disabled for obvious reasons. I haven't been back to work in just over a year now.
                              Yeah... sorry to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                              X