Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People on message boards who reply with a personal anecdote on every single thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People on message boards who reply with a personal anecdote on every single thread!

Does this bug anyone else?

I'm a member at another board and there are a couple of posters that, no matter WHAT the topic is, reply with a personal anecdote or story...every.single.time, regardless of the topic. And in every thread.

This particular board doesn't have an ignore feature like we do here and on CS. Drives me batty!
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM.

Are they generally relevant?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yes. Relevant to whatever the topic of the thread is, so that's one bonus I suppose.

I guess I just find it...I don't know.. shallow maybe? It comes across to me as rather self-involved to constantly refer to one's own situation and tell about it in detail, regardless of the topic.

On thinking further, I guess I could consider that perhaps they are trying to be helpful?

A silly example:

OP: My brand new blender quit working, and I can't find the receipt and Big-red-store won't take it back. What should I do?

1st commenter: Oh, have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

2nd commenter: What about calling and asking for the phone number of a regional manager of the big-red store?

3rd commenter (one of the types I'm speaking of): Call the manufacturer. I know when MY blender broke back in 1993, I called my aunt Donna and she came over and we went to the store and they refused, and then I,..then we....(usually several more sentences about the 3rd commenter's situation and story).

And it's like that on every thread, regardless of the topic.

Comment

It irritates me too, although it irritates me less when it's at least relevant to the topic at hand.
        "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I can see how that can be irritating. Especially when they act like their little experience makes them the expert on everything. I'd be suspicious of those who happen to have an anecdote for every situation.

Comment

For that kind of question, "this is what worked for me" makes perfect sense. Even much broader than that, no, giving an example from personal experience is not the same as claiming that makes you an expert, or that your experience is more important than others', or anything else along those lines.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              I can see how that can be irritating. Especially when they act like their little experience makes them the expert on everything. I'd be suspicious of those who happen to have an anecdote for every situation.
              Yeah, on this particular board, the people I'm talking about don't so much act like an expert on everything (that would be even more annoying)..they just give a personal account or little story on every thread and on every subject.

Comment

Working...
              X