The Hot Key Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hot Key Function

This is such a stupid function. You basically turn off your ability to type anything into search bars. Instead, when you type a letter, it activates some other feature. Somehow, (either by typo or by allowing chrome to install something), I found myself unable to enter anything into search bars because this stupid, unnecessary feature was activated. I was able to get it fixed (somehow, it's a graphics function; wtf?) but still... how annoying.

Hmm... are you sure it's not some kind of malware?

In my experience hot keys should only do something like launch an app you use frequently or change your volume. If the key is preventing you from searching or messing up your internet browsing, it could be something more malicious than just an annoying feature.

Comment

All the feature really did was bring up things like the print function (when I pressed P). Essentially, it made it so that the control key was held down (Control + P did the same thing). Very annoying and not useful in the slightest, but considering useless programs like google instant, I'm not at all surprised that this function exists.

I do think I have some malware, but I don't know if it's from this function. Computer's been fine since I disabled the hot key.

Comment

If you're on Windows 7, it might be some sort of ease-of-access setting like Stickykeys. I accidentally hit that often enough.
        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
          If you're on Windows 7, it might be some sort of ease-of-access setting like Stickykeys. I accidentally hit that often enough.
          Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Sticky keys are a good accessibility feature (e.g. for those who cannot hit two keys at once for some physiological reason) but it's pretty annoying for most people.

I forgot to mention above that hot keys are usually confined to the function keys above the keyboard (and some keyboards have dedicated buttons solely for hot keys). If there are assignments to the keys you normally type sentences with that are doing other functions, then I would think you have sticky keys on.

Comment

StickeyKeys goes back to XP at least, IIRC, so that could definitely be it. Try pressing SHIFT five times in rapid succession, and see if the issue reasserts itself (just keep the "fix' info at hand!). If so, you've found your culprit, and SKeys can be deactivated from Control Panel.
            "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
            "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

I'm not sure if it counts as a "hotkey," but I do remember watching ZDTV/TechTV and learning how to quickly get to the desktop by typing "ÿ + D."

I miss that channel.
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

if the computer starts up with a key being held or a window is alt tabbed out of something with a key being held sometimes that key can get stuck on and you need to press it again to reset it.

Comment

Working...
                X