Stupid Guilt/Shame Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Guilt/Shame Trips

You know what, fuck guilt trips. More specifically, fuck those who use guilt to shame others into behaving a certain way.

Example, the "meat is murder" bullshit. Yeah, I get it; slaughter houses are horrible and what little I've read on them has disturbed me. But to put me on the same level as those who slaughter the animals just because I enjoy a burger? Fuck you.

Another one; charities. Most people in charge of charities are decent people, but there are a few assholes who stick out. Like the ones who call people out for having nice things, but refuse to donate to their charity. Again, fuck you. You don't know me so fuck off.

I've had 2 people try to convince me to convert to being a vegetarian, I told them no. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy but don't bug me about it.
    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Just remind them that theor diet is responsible for hundreds of rodent, insect and bird deaths per hectare of crop harvested and that if they eat Quinoa, congratulations, you've had a hand in destroying an indigenous populations food source.

There's a few other arguements, but that's based on the individual
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

We keep cattle from going extinct, should the UK go vegan you can bet that the pyres from foot and mouth would be insignificant compared to those due to the lack of demand.

Dairy farmers would look towards agricultural farming and would not want the cows in the area, many might even turn them loose into the countryside as a whole.

I don't understand the catch and release method of fishing, to me, if you go fishing and catch food its to eat it, the same applies to hunting.

If you hunt deer and leave it to rot where you shot it, then you are wasteful, it should always be a food source as well as a 'sport'.

Comment

Not to start something, but is there an intrinsic difference between a "vegetarian/vegan" and an "herbivore"? I mean I would prefer to be called a "carnivore" as opposed to a "meatetarian." The latter just sounds silly.

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
          Dairy farmers would look towards agricultural farming and would not want the cows in the area, many might even turn them loose into the countryside as a whole.
          On the other hand that might, in a way, bring back the auroch…
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
            Not to start something, but is there an intrinsic difference between a "vegetarian/vegan" and an "herbivore"? I mean I would prefer to be called a "carnivore" as opposed to a "meatetarian." The latter just sounds silly.
            Pedantically speaking, an herbivore is a species that has a physiological vegan diet. That is to say, they are herbivores because their anatomy essentially requires it. They don't have the predatory instincts, mouth structure, or digestive system to accommodate meat.

Humans are physiologically omnivores. We can eat meat, dairy, veggies, and a whole lot of other things that would get many other animals sick.

Vegetarian and vegan aren't synonymous: A vegetarian might eat dairy, while a strict vegan will not eat any animal byproducts, including honey.

I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch, but I do believe farm animals should at least be raised with respect. Not only are animals raised in better conditions more ethical, but the food is also typically better quality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
              Vegetarian and vegan aren't synonymous: A vegetarian might eat dairy, while a strict vegan will not eat any animal byproducts, including honey.
              Some even go as far as not using human breast milk to feed their babies.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                Some even go as far as not using human breast milk to feed their babies.
                I wanted to reply something coherent, but my brain just BSOD'ed.

I just HOPE that these ... ladies... (if I should call them that) are blissfully unaware that baby formula contains some cowmilk. If they only serve off-the-shelf soy milk (if baby has a lactose intoleration there are special formulas for that) that's plain child abuse and should be reported to the CPS immediately.

Comment

I'm with Zel. What the everliving fuck?

I know quite a few vegetarians and luckily they are all reasonable humans who accept the choices of others. I've heard of the obnoxiously self-righteous kind but don't personally know any. Once though I read a story (I think on CS) where someone once worked with such a vegetarian, who was always going on about meat being murder etc. But he noticed she often ate Jell-O with her lunch. He said he thought she was a vegetarian and she said of course she was.

The little idiot didn't know what gelatin was made of.

I think animals should be treated with respect as much as possible, but there are limits. My husband uses small animals in his medical research. If the sacrifice of these animals can potentially save human lives, I'm all for it.

(I've always wondered if the super hardcore animal rights people refuse to take any medication or undergo any medical procedure, because every single one has been tested on animals first...as they should be)

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
                    (I've always wondered if the super hardcore animal rights people refuse to take any medication or undergo any medical procedure, because every single one has been tested on animals first...as they should be)
                    Some do, and some, like PETA, demand everyone else follow suit.

Of course, PETA VP Mary Beth Sweetland once infamously stated that it was perfectly ethical for her to use synthetic insulin that was produced with animal products, because she needed to live to fight for animal rights in general.
                    "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                    TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I always thought PETA meant "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals"

I love cows myself and I hold nothing against them- except maybe some nice crisp lettuce, a little tomato, some good cheese and a few slices of that most awesome product formerly known as "pig" that is.

Comment

MLT — mutton, lettuce, tomato. Greatest thing in the world.

…next to true love.
                        "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                        X