Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oh that's not too bad!"

Coupled with "But you look great!"

I'm trying to lose weight. According to the BMI charts, I'm about 40 lbs overweight, putting me just into the obesity category (195 lbs, 5' 7"). I don't particularly care about the BMI too much; my primary goal is fitness, and my ideal physically fit weight generally tends to be around 160-165. So that's my goal.

Yet whenever I mention my weight or my weight loss goals to friends and coworkers, it's basically "You look great though!" "You can't possibly need to lose weight!" "I wish I was that weight...."

Yes, I get it. I'm skinny compared to you. Once I start exercising, I'll probably lose it quickly. But that doesn't mean that I don't need to lose it any less than you do!
    I has a blog!

I'm 5'4 at 160 lbs. I have put on some extra pounds in my hips and thighs and a titch on my belly, but that's still mostly flat.

I'm sure my BMI is just off the charts by now. I know I let myself go a little bit and need to eat better and get back to exercising, especially now that I only work 8 hour shifts all week.

Some of that weight, will never go away. Unlike most girls, my boobs will not shrink. No matter what or how much weight I fluctuate or lose. My Kim K ass is the same way. Of course, it doesn't help that I do squats like it's no one's business and my calves are solid muscle, as are part of my thighs.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      I'm 5'4 at 160 lbs. ... snip ... my calves are solid muscle, as are part of my thighs.
      Isn't that something that skew's the BMI? Muscle mass weighs the same but is compacted, so you could be pure muscle and be listed as overweight to your BMI, yet fit into clothes that someone who had far less muscle, but shared your BMI could not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post

Isn't that something that skew's the BMI? Muscle mass weighs the same but is compacted, so you could be pure muscle and be listed as overweight to your BMI, yet fit into clothes that someone who had far less muscle, but shared your BMI could not.
        It is, which is why I, personally, don't use it as a pure measure. At my best shape, I was still at 160 lbs, which is still close to overweight according to the BMI.
        I has a blog!

Comment

As far as I understand the BMI charts were made in a huge rush and ultimately declared flawed a few years later. But by that time they were already adopted into to many places.

Honestly I think we should scrap the whole system and use a combo of height/weight/body fat/water percentage to find out if someone is obese or not. Hell I have a scale that can tell me approx how much body fat I have.

Comment

I get similar comments when I mention my weight to people. I lost about 40 lbs a year or so ago, but my weight has now plateaued. When I tell people how much I weigh, they often don't believe me and tell me, "you carry it so well!" Meh. Not helping.
            "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
              As far as I understand the BMI charts were made in a huge rush and ultimately declared flawed a few years later. But by that time they were already adopted into to many places.
              BMI was developed by a MATHEMATICIAN in belgium in the 1832, and had exactly ZERO to do with health or weight.

More info on it's history here

All these women weigh exactly the same-150 pounds
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

There's a particular female character I draw who's curvy and I tend to picture in the 6' range… so it seems when I guessed her weight at 150 lb. I wasn't too far off. Neat.
                "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I don't go by weight, I go how loose my clothes feel. I can tell I've made progress losing weight cuz my work trousers are loose and I have to keep hitching them up. XD I stay away from scales cuz of my history of compulsive eating disorder and yo yo dieting.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
                    When I tell people how much I weigh, they often don't believe me and tell me, "you carry it so well!" Meh. Not helping.
                    Thats one of those phrases that honestly should never leave your mouth towards another human being.

My physical condition has been completely destroyed by my job and the resulting PTSD. Grade 4 strength due to "deconditoning" my physiotherapist calls it. Due to chronic pain and my inability to leave the house without becoming the twitchy guy everyone avoids on the bus. My weight has rebounded around between 165 ( Losing 20lbs in a matter of weeks upon trying to return to work ) and up to 200. My normal weight is suppose to be around 185. )

I'm 6 foot and have always been lanky so no one else can tell. But *I* can tell and that's ultimately the problem I find. Its kind of a constant reminder that I've been physically destroyed by my job along with mentally.

Comment

My coworkers and managers all are pretty dang skinny, at least compared to me. All in either decent or good shape. Me, I am 230 lbs 5'4'' and born in a chick's body. They were the one's complaining about how fat they were. I just sit there and crack up. I know they don't mean any harm and probably would not talk about that sort of thing around complete strangers. We are all close in that store. They really did not believe I was that weight. But I am a very muscular person. I am still chubby in the waist and stomach area and my boobs certainly don't help.

Comment

Working...
                      X