assumptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assumptions

I've been running into people making assumptions based on part of something I state in a post without reading the whole thing.

Most recent case in point, I made a comment about how I'm a "Lazy Tipper"

Now I know that sounds bad but in the same paragraph I explained that with my limited ability to do math in my head (I can do complicated math, I just need time and a scratch pad or a calculator) I generally tip 20%.

And then explained how I just shift the decimal place to get 10% and then double it to get 20%. So if the bill came to $27.98 a 10% tip would be $2.80 (rounded up) which gets doubled to $5.60 for 20%.

I'm too lazy and usually in too much of a hurry to do more than that. So if the service is reasonable I tip 20% which is more than the expected 15%. If the service is not so great we tip only the 10% and if the service is really bad we don't tip and then contact the manager to explain why we didn't tip so they can find out what the problem is.

But nope...all they saw was "Lazy Tipper" and ripped into me. Didn't read the rest of it, just tore me a new one for the imagined slight of what being a lazy tipper means in their eyes.

Now I know that this is likely colored by the fact of that one NFL player giving the 20 cent tip (and in fact was part of my reply in a thread talking about his tip) but because these people are enraged by his actions, they make the assumption that my style of tipping is rather like his (possibly worse) because they didn't @#$%ing read the rest of my words.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

I do the same thing. If service was decent, I'll round up, and if service was subpar I might round down... but it takes a lot for me to round down. The wait staff would have to be clearly incompetent or rude for that to happen, and it would have to be their own fault (e.g. if they can't attend my table as well because the restaurant is short-staffed, I cannot fault them for it, especially if they are clearly working hard to tend to all the tables; I might even give a higher tip out of sympathy in cases like that).

I've never had service so bad as to warrant a tip under 15%, and if someone who knew me saw me gave a 15% tip, they'd know something was horribly wrong with my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
      I cannot fault them for it, especially if they are clearly working hard to tend to all the tables; I might even give a higher tip out of sympathy in cases like that).
      Agreed. If my problems are with the food, I don't blame the waitstaff. If the problems are that they're understaffed and they are clearly working hard and are frazzled I'll likewise give a higher tip out of sympathy.

I've never had service so bad as to warrant a tip under 15%, and if someone who knew me saw me gave a 15% tip, they'd know something was horribly wrong with my experience.
      I have. One example was at a Cracker Barrel where the waitstaff were paying us limited attention because they were paying extra special attention to the people of their own skin color.

One couple came in 15 minutes after we did, another 20 minutes after and they both had their food before we even got our drinks. Since the manager was part of the group pandering to their own race we didn't bother reporting it since the odds were that we would have been brushed off.

They got a micro tip. The bill came to $22.87. They got $23 and that was it.
      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I have a hard rule on tipping. Ignore my Mom and you get $.01 that's it.

Normally I'll do
        25% - Everything was beautiful.
        20%- Everything was good but I felt a little rushed.
        15%- Decent.
        10%- problems.
        5%- Where the heck are refills?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
          They got a micro tip. The bill came to $22.87. They got $23 and that was it.
          The worst part about this is they likely blamed your race rather than their service upon seeing the tip too.

I hate on the fly math. I just toss out flat bonus bills. The local pizza joint loves me for this. They know my address off the top of their heads. Don't even ask for it or my phone number anymore.

Comment

I've been running into people making assumptions based on part of something I state in a post without reading the whole thing.
            I know what you mean. Especially when, as in this case, you've said essentially the opposite of those assumptions.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
            X