Work Bullshit and Shitty Luck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Bullshit and Shitty Luck.

I have had this job for almost a year. The pay's good, the environment is nice, and the works not too hard. But as always, there's a catch. The catch to this job is that I'm on call and will very rarely be needed. Not being needed = hardly any hours = bullshit pay. To make matters worse, they demand that you have a bank account to put your money in. Fucking Chase Bank has this fee where they take money out of your account if you can't keep a balance. Well when I'm getting barely any hours, I'm not going to have the X hundred they want saved up. In fact, I was getting such little hours that it was actually costing me more to keep the account.

So I say fuck Chase and decide to go to another bank that doesn't have those fees (despite the pushy bank rep assuring me that other banks would have those fees). I cancel the account, take the money out, and go to the other bank. I did all the paper work the HR department needed to confirm that this was the bank my checks were to be sent to. I get no work for the next several months until finally I email them asking what's going on. I get a four hour shift. It's not much, but hey I'll get paid.

Except I didn't. There is no money in my account when payday comes. I go over to my workplace, calmly explaining that there is no money in my account (just a few bucks I put in to open the account). I ask if maybe they sent the money to Chase instead. I show them the paylocity account that shows the check was sent to the chase bank. They come up with some flimsy excuse that those are just the checks they use and assure me that my money is at my new bank.

I go to the new bank, they never received a check. I go to Chase, they did receive a check, on payday for about 30 dollars. Since the account was closed, it was sent back to them. I go back to my work place, but the moron employee who handles that stuff isn't there and won't be there until Monday. Until then, my check is in limbo.

What the fuck!!!

I did everything to make sure they knew which bank to send it to and they not only send it to the wrong bank, but give me a load of BS when I call them on it. I'm just pissed off at everything.

-Pissed at my work for not giving me more hours even when I ask for them.

-Pissed the banks for their stupid fees they charge.

-Pissed at my work again for demanding I have a bank account (this is what got me into this mess).

-Pissed at the HR people for fucking everything up.

I mean, I know mistakes happen, but after having to fucking beg them for more hours, they fuck up my check and it's only for 30 bucks! I wouldn't be so pissed off if I didn't have to deal with so much other bullshit (no hours, years of being denied jobs, and several other unlucky things happening to me). I'll be graduated from college by next year and will have more opertunities then, but for now, this is just yanking my chains.

Wouldn't help with the rest, but I wish you had my bank. Not sure what the new name is, but they used to call it "Totally Free Checking," and they meant it. $0 minimum balance, no fees in normal use.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Well I got my check Monday (picked it up in person). Apparently some idiot sent it to the wrong bank (even though I requested it changed). All is well, I guess, but this wouldn't have happened if they didn't demand direct deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
        All is well, I guess, but this wouldn't have happened if they didn't demand direct deposit.
        I'm sorry you went through that bureaucratic mess, but I have to ask - is direct deposit not the regular form of payment in your part of the world? I haven't work a job in over ten years where direct deposit wasn't mandatory, and only temporary/casual work around here tends to get paid in physical cheques; and even then, you have the option of either.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
          I'm sorry you went through that bureaucratic mess, but I have to ask - is direct deposit not the regular form of payment in your part of the world? I haven't work a job in over ten years where direct deposit wasn't mandatory, and only temporary/casual work around here tends to get paid in physical cheques; and even then, you have the option of either.
          It probably is. Doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Comment

I get paid by check... but then, it's a small business; there are only six people to pay most periods, including the owner.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Just curious -- Precisely what do you mean by your being "on call"? If you're in the US and it means that you MUST show up for work as soon as humanly possible on a moment's notice, anytime they happen to call you during an period of "on-call" availability (e.g., how a doctor might work; often 24 hour availability), they have to pay you at least minimum wage for the "waiting time," iirc, by Federal labor law. If it's more of a "We might need you in the afternoon, but you have leeway," that's different.
              "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
              "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

"on call" for me means that I'm there to fill in when someone requests time off. Unfortunately, the way it's set up is that I have to constantly check online to see which shifts are available. It's a first come first serve and since I don't have a smart phone, I'm at a disadvantage.

Also annoying is the last shift I took. I requested it two weeks before hand and never heard back from them until the morning of the shift (via phone). I think part of it was that the night before, I had sent an email asking why the hell I wasn't getting any hours and if there was something I was doing wrong. So they decided to give me this shift, but still... giving me the shift at the last minute when I requested it weeks before is kinda sucky. (seems to be a problem there, you can email them, never hear back from them for weaks and then get an answer long after you forgot you even emailed or called them).

Comment

Working...
                X