Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's cooling down and the coyotes are back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's cooling down and the coyotes are back.

Just an update to my old thread about the giant coyotes, the problems continue.
    Right on schedule, they came back up from the river mid-August.

The local government final acknowledge that they exist. The coyotes have been bothering the garbage men when they come to pick up the trash during the day around noon. They've also been quote "snarling and nipping" at people thats cars have broken down at night on the unpopulated roads around here. In the part of the county it's not strange to have roads with nothing for miles, if you broke down or ran out of gas you're facing a 4 or 5 mile walk probably in the dark too.

The coyotes may not even been coyotes, it looks like they might be a type of coywolf . And something disturbing happened earlier this week.

My husband just got a new motorcycle so he thought he'd take the kids down the road on it. Now, the road(if you can call it that) that runs in front of our house is only one lane, two cars cant pass each other one has to pull over for the car thats going in the opposite direction and it's 90% trees with a few scattered neighbors then on down the the river. My husband took his oldest daughter first while the youngest(age 7) and I waited. While she plays with a few fallen leaves waiting for them to get back, I hear something moving in the bushes behind us, as I turn around a young coyote(?) runs back into the bushes, it had been sneaking up on my stepdaughter (it couldnt see me from where i was standing until I turned around and she was kneeling down making her look smaller).

Then the night before last, in the middle of the night something woke me up, it was the sound of something screaming right underneath the bedroom window. That was the spot the coyotes/coywolves/coy-whatevers decided to make their kill for the night.If it wasnt so dark I would have gotten a picture, I turned on the light inside and they didnt even run.

Their howling more this year too, anytime of day they want.

My friend with sheep farm has been having more problems with them too, new record is a 55lb male that was munching on some full grown ewes, even rams have been taken.

Time to do the gardening with a sidearm.

Comment

if you manage to kill one take the carcass to town hall and see if they'll still deny their existence

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post
        Time to do the gardening with a sidearm.
        My husbands looking into that, for now I'll have to make do with my taser.

Comment

I don't have much to offer to this thread except good Lord is it creepy when they howl at night.

One thing that I hate about living by the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
            I don't have much to offer to this thread except good Lord is it creepy when they howl at night.

One thing that I hate about living by the woods.
            Thats why I'm happy this is a two story house(house above a storage area really)I wouldn't have wanted to be on the ground floor when they were outside the window.

Comment

My fiance in RI said the coyotes were loud as hell last night, keeping her up. Sucks.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I set a bit of a trap for them last night, I left a trash bag full of scraps out but I covered it in habanero sauce. I heard a yelp early this morning, I guess they don't like spicy.

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
                  I set a bit of a trap for them last night, I left a trash bag full of scraps out but I covered it in habanero sauce. I heard a yelp early this morning, I guess they don't like spicy.
                  That would have been funny to watch.

I got a French bulldog mix puppy about a month ago and now I'm paranoid about the wildlife getting to him. I've installed a solar security light on one side of the house. I have plans to add more after my fence is installed. This is where I think about getting a paint ball gun and keep the mags in the freezer.
                  "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I found out I'm pregnant (turns out the "false positive" was a real positive just really early)

However this isn't going to make the coyote problem any better, first they got into the trash and ate the used pregnancy tests . And like I mentioned in the first post about the stalking from behide, that's gotten worse it happens almost daily now especially to me.Fall is finally here and the kids can't even play outside. Our neighbors let their little boy walk on his own , he's not even 5 and he walked over to our house by himself, that means he walked through the freaking woods by himself with these things around.

Comment

Congratulations!
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Their getting into the garage. I check for holes but can't find any, so now at night I may have carnivores beneath me. That's really calming

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
                          Their getting into the garage. I check for holes but can't find any, so now at night I may have carnivores beneath me. That's really calming
                          Too bad this isn't a Warner Brothers Cartoon. Then they'd be trying to catch and eat road runners instead of you.

But seriously speaking, here is a link to an article about non-lethal methods for keeping coyotes away from you, your loved ones and your property.

Comment

I don't blame them for wanting to get out of the wind and cold but the adults have zero fear of humans. Luckily I found were they were getting in and closed it up, so they sit in the bushes a howl.

Comment

Working...
                            X