Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The kids school is getting even stupider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
    Do they account for hot weather, or do they expect every student to come to school in bikinis and budgie smugglers?
    It can be 100 degrees outside and they'll still do it.

I'm wondering if this one is in part due to parents pulling their kid out for a non-illness related reason and then it turns out that no, little Jimmy isn't sick, he's been visiting Japan with his parents. Does this one include having a sick certificate from the doctor?
    No exceptions, getting the flu can get you expelled.

The latter I'm guessing is because they don't want students in there using it as an excuse to skip class, so if they're there, they must be sick?
    Making a vomiting child lay down is over kill.

Is there a reason why the school does not distribute these to the students themselves?
    "To prevent stalking and harassment." It doesn't even have an address on it.

And here I was thinking that America was meant to be a melting pot....(The only theory I have on this one is that they assume that because French is spoken in a number of African countries that Spanish works the same way.)
    The worst is when they ask if I can do traditional dances...um, the Queen of England has more rhythm than I do, no one should ever see me dance.

No OHS risks I can think of. If anything, it'd actually be a BENEFIT to them since their hair isn't likely to catch on things. (and if it does, it can be easily freed)
    Only risks I can think of are all racist or sexist in some way
    And in winter it helps with keeping the hair out of their eyes in storms but they think it will, I don't know strangle them or something!?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
      Cursive was rather used for quills, since repeated lifting from the paper could cause drops and smudges, and cursive reduces the amount of times you lift from the paper.

You would be in a world of pain if you had to carve or chisel out cursive on a clay tablet. Print is much easier for that kind of thing.
      No, because clay is soft unil you cure then fire it, hence cuneiform. Which you can also get as a computer font

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
        How long until someone sues the school for these?

Making a vomiting child lay down is over kill.
        OK, not during a puking spell, but if the child isn't puking, wouldn't laying down be seen as the "standard"?

The worst is when they ask if I can do traditional dances...um, the Queen of England has more rhythm than I do, no one should ever see me dance.

And in winter it helps with keeping the hair out of their eyes in storms but they think it will, I don't know strangle them or something!?
        See my above post. There are a number of benefits to braiding hair, but the only safety risks I can see are basically it getting caught in something but even then, it can be freed easily if the braids are thick enough.

Comment

Some one will sue them soon. I just thinks it's weird to not let a kid sit up at all.

Comment

We usually tried to hide ours but I could see taunts starting by other kids seeing the grades. Still makes it stupid though.

The only reason I can see on the hair is pulling but I got my hair pulled harder by peers when it was down. Does this also mean you cant braid pigtails?

Comment

Originally posted by evilfarmer View Post
              The only reason I can see on the hair is pulling but I got my hair pulled harder by peers when it was down. Does this also mean you cant braid pigtails?
              No braids at all, it's not allowed even just braided pigtails will get them sent home.

Comment

The 'no braids/plaits' thing would have been an absolute nightmare for me. My hair was down to my bum by the time I was in grade 3 (7 years old) and really thick. The only way to control it at school was to plait it.

Admittedly, it occasionally made a very handy weapon.

But my hair stayed clean and it wasn't going to annoy the person who shared the desk with me. I also never got nits/lice, even when everyone else in the school seemed to have got them.

I also frequently had Pippi Longstocking pig tails too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippi_Longstocking (The wire was only put i for costume day during book week though.)

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
                  My stepdaughters elementary school is reaching a whole new level of stupid.
                  Just...wow! That sounds like a Dilbert cartoon!
                  Last edited by MadMike; 10-19-2014, 11:15 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
                  Where are we going and where the heck did this handbasket come from?!

Comment

Working...
                  X