being mistaken for my mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being mistaken for my mom

*not a huge issue, but it gets annoying sometimes so I just felt like ranting about it*

Mostly this comes from people at church, and some of them have known our family long enough that this should not happen - Mom is roughly 30 years older than me, we don't look THAT much alike, aren't involved with the same things at church,....etc. We also don't share an email address or cell phone number, but sometimes I'll hear from someone who thinks they're getting in touch with my mom.

And on a somewhat related note, it bothers me when people assume I"m exactly like my mom - she and I have had very different life experiences, we don't necessarily share the same interests, but a lot of people seem to not realize that.

People have done that with me too, saying we have the same voice. It makes me cringe. I know it's awful to think that way about one's own mother, but I do not goal my life to look or sound or especially act like her. She's a bully, always has been.

Comment

When I was a kid, I had multiple teachers call me by my dad's name. Clearly certain people had been teaching for too long.

I definitely sound like him though. Whenever I hear my voice, I cringe because I sound just like him. I've confused my stepmom multiple times on the phone.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        People have done that with me too, saying we have the same voice. It makes me cringe. I know it's awful to think that way about one's own mother, but I do not goal my life to look or sound or especially act like her. She's a bully, always has been.
        That's very much how I feel about my mom, except for the part about being a bully....it's mostly stuff like the main smell which I associate4 with/reminds me of her is this.......odor she sometimes leaves in the bathroom. (I know that might be a really petty or bitchy thing to complain about, but it's hard to explain)
        Last edited by KellyHabersham; 10-23-2014, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I've never been mistaken for my mom, but shes mistaken for being my older sister. When she tells people that she's my mom people get all bug eyed, the women on my moms side of the family all look young.
          "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Working...
          X