Maternity Clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity Clothes

It's seems like every maternity clothing company thinks as soon as you get pregnant you consume an entire kitchens worth of food everyday.

A "Maternity size 0" has 38 inch hips, that 5 inches too big! The arms and legs of the clothing are huge. I found a size xs long sleeve top, the arms were big enough that my entire head could fit in it and it wasn't a stretch fabric either.

And the pants are too short they all seem to have 28 inch inseams.

Well, maternity clothes are meant to be wearable through the entirety of your pregnancy. So they're really more designed for late second through third trimester. And all kinds of things are weird then.

Frankly, I wore my regular clothes until I honestly couldn't button things anymore.
    I has a blog!

Comment

When I was pregnant I lived in stretchy clothing for much of my pregnancy rather than purchase maternity clothing that I would not really be able to use afterwards. Any of my maternity clothing was given to me and I wore it only when absolutely necessary.

Comment

Aside from really elastic underwear, I didn't even bother buying maternity clothes until the third semester (I was due in August where it was extremely hot (after local standards) so I needed some dresses/skirts which I normally don't wear). I just bought clothes that were 1-2 sizes up.

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
          It's seems like every maternity clothing company thinks as soon as you get pregnant you consume an entire kitchens worth of food everyday.

A "Maternity size 0" has 38 inch hips, that 5 inches too big!
          I wear a size 6(5'4", 145-150 pounds, 22% body fat), my hips are 36 inches, thank you for basically implying I must eat an entire kitchen's worth of food daily

This is why I still struggle with my eating disorder. -_-
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            I wear a size 6(5'4", 145-150 pounds, 22% body fat), my hips are 36 inches, thank you for basically implying I must eat an entire kitchen's worth of food daily

I don't know if the US has consistent sizing across the board, but clothing companies tend to size things differently, so her saying that a particular size might be in relation to that particular brand or a common brand that she wears, rather than overall implying something. (For instance, I can walk into 1 store and I'm a 16, another store and I'm an 18, another store and I'm an XXS [plus-size store] and so on)

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

I wasn't implying that at all. I'm irritated that they are selling something that is 5 inches bigger than it should be, a standard 0 is 33 inches there's no reason for it to be 38 inches. The eat an entire kitchen had more to do with the giant sleeves.

Comment

Until I got my baby bump (around 34 weeks, I hardly looked pregnant, just like I was gaining weight) I wore my husbands pants and rolled up the cuffs. Not having a waist actually made his pants fit half decent, and mens jeans come in a variety of lengths if your looking to buy something.

Comment

The best I found so far is Victoria's Secret workout stuff, stretchy and I can get pants long enough. Do clothing companies this women get shorter when they're pregnant?

Comment

You can also still buy non-frumpy jeans that have extra elastic so it looks like you're wearing the same jeans any other woman is.

I worked with a girl around my age who was pregnant with twins a couple of years ago, and she didn't want to give up style. Until she lifted her shirt and showed me how those jeans worked, I had no idea they were maternity jeans.

Comment

Until you are round enough to really need maternity clothes, but are still gaining some weight, leggings and tunics are your best friends. And you can wear them post-baby too.

Are you just in the stage where you're not showing yet but just really want to wear maternity clothes? I think everyone goes through that, with the first one at least. ; )
                      Last edited by anakhouri; 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I'm showing already. I have a feeling this is going to be a big baby.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
                          Are you just in the stage where you're not showing yet but just really want to wear maternity clothes? I think everyone goes through that, with the first one at least. ; )
                          I didn't. I hated being pregnant and didn't want to have to spend money to accommodate something I disliked until I absolutely had to. Which ended being around 5 months because I simply couldn't belt my jeans on anymore.
                          I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                            I didn't. I hated being pregnant and didn't want to have to spend money to accommodate something I disliked until I absolutely had to. Which ended being around 5 months because I simply couldn't belt my jeans on anymore.
                            I was the same way. And the only maternity clothes I owned were given to me. I stuck it out as long as I could in my stretchy clothes and a-line tops and dresses. I got as big as a house but still had a hell of a time bringing myself to wear what maternity stuff I did have.

Comment

The sleeves may be to accomodate bloating and/or fluid retention; and have nothing whatsoever to do with fat tissue. They may also be to accomodate more muscular women.

Normally, different body shapes tend to shop different brands & stores depending on which ones are cut to suit their shape. In maternity clothing, however, everyone of all the widely varied shapes and levels of muscularity shop together.
                              The bodybuilder or construction worker with huge biceps and deltoids shops right next to the more sedentary woman. They may well both share the same 'clothing size' but one needs a wider arm and larger armhole than the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X