When people miss the point....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When people miss the point....

To be short, I'm only going to give one example of this.

There is something in music going on called "the loudness war." I'm not going to go heavy on the details but the quick explanation is that since the biggest demographic of music buyers listen to songs through either cheap earbuds that came with their smartphone or through 200 dollar mini systems bought at wal-mart, music studios are upping the "gain" and other sound properties during mastering so that the music plays louder when it's finally listened to.

While that's fine if you're listen to music using the above mentioned items, it also introduces distortion that really comes through if you play it on a high-end sound system. If you have a nice set of Martin Logans, B&W's or Definitive Technology speakers (You know, ones that are designed to bring out the nuances of music that you didn't get to experience before) a lot of these albums mastered this way are nearly un-listenable! To be frank, on these systems music mastered this way sounds like pure garbage.

The sad part about this, is that you would think that only mass-market artists do this. Joe Bonamassa, who's music caters to a smaller but more discriminating crowd, has his music mastered this way as well on all his recent albums.

I was talking to a person last week about this, and this is what he said:

"Yeah but how many people actually listen to music through speakers that cost 2 to 3 grand a pair, and that's just for the fronts not including any surrounds, center channel or subwoofer? If you're a studio, might as well master the music for the vast majority of devices that people are actually going to use to listen to the stuff on instead of spending money so it sounds better to 5 percent of people who have those type of speakers."

Wow. Talk about POINT. MISSED.

First, not all high-end speakers costs 2-3 grand a pair for the fronts. Second, guess how much it would cost to make the music sound good across ALL platforms? ZERO! All studios would have to do is not up the gain and levels so much, and the worst that would happen is that the people who are listening to the music on el-cheapo systems would have to do is turn the volume up a little more. Oh my, the horror!
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

You don't even need high end speakers to hear the distortion. I'd imagine the same problem would be present if you got an iHome or even connected your phone to the car, which a lot of people do.

I, personally, haven't experienced this problem, probably because I haven't bought or downloaded music in a while, but I could definitely see how something like that can be frustrating, especially as someone who enjoys hearing music on a good system.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
      You don't even need high end speakers to hear the distortion. I'd imagine the same problem would be present if you got an iHome or even connected your phone to the car, which a lot of people do.

I, personally, haven't experienced this problem, probably because I haven't bought or downloaded music in a while, but I could definitely see how something like that can be frustrating, especially as someone who enjoys hearing music on a good system.
      The sad thing is, a lot of reviewers for audiophile publications would like to use modern artists like Joe B (Due to is amazing talent on guitar) that I referenced in my OP when reviewing speakers but can't due to the terrible sound quality that the newer stuff has when played on a high end system.

If you ever wonder why said reviewers widely use classical musical when testing high end audio is because the classical genre caters to an older crowd that in general has the coin to spend on the good gear. That's why if you do research classical music seems to have escaped the loudness war.
      AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

The problem with turning my volume up the tablet is it only goes so high and sometimes even then it isn't high enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tama View Post
          The problem with turning my volume up the tablet is it only goes so high and sometimes even then it isn't high enough.
          I have that problem with my Toshiba laptop and my iPhone. What I have to do when downloading music to iTunes is to go into the info and adjust the volume under the options tab.

Otherwise some of the music isn't loud enough and when I'm in the mood to relax in my rocking chair, I want my music LOUD.
          If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Id settle for not having to listen to it in a completely silent room! Lol

Comment

Working...
            X