ridiculous youtube wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridiculous youtube wars

So, I am a vegetarian and in no way against veganism. If one can do it healthfully, that's great. I am also on a lower-carbohydrate plan for health reasons. I am a youtube addict. My mistake is reading comments. It is atrocious.

I watched a video of interviews with people who happened to be meat eaters, but the focus was on fat in the diet. The militant vegans showed up anyway. I really have no problem with the stating their view, but I don't know why they would even be watching this video if they are on an all-starch, low-fat diet and convinced of it's efficacy. Well, they are welcome to watch it anyway. I do have a problem with calling people names like "meat-eating whore" in ALL CAPS, and stuff like that. So much cursing, so much yelling, so much pulling out the worn-out insults like "whore" and "fat". (And why do people always resort to those? No original thinking there. But that's a whole other thread...) Why can't people disagree respectfully? It was like being in a schoolyard.

YouTube comments are a recurring joke between myself and my brother. We take turns looking for more and more ridiculous threads from seemingly innocuous videos.

Is the video of a cat meowing? Well, clearly the cat wants something and isn't being given what it wants, so you must be abusing it.

Is it a video of a plane taking off? The chemtrail theorists will come out of the woodwork.

Is the video about what the Higgs Boson is and why it's important to the scientific community? The creationists will come out saying it's all a lie.

Some of my favorite threads are the ones that start very innocuous, and after over a hundred posts you see that it had degraded well beyond Godwin's law by that time... like, there'll be a video of something completely unoffensive like a baby laughing at a Cheerio, and one of the threads will look like:

====================================
    Omg! That baby is so funny! He reminds me of my niece!
    By: youtubeuser1

> Show all 177 comments

All I said was the baby is funny. What is your problem?
    By: youtubeuser1

Oh yea? Well FUCK OFF, I stand by my comments that the video is proof that society is doomed, and you are all sheeple.
    By: trolololol
    ====================================

And it doesn't matter what the video is about. The militant, extremist, and zealous vegans, religious, anti-religious, racists, capitalists, anarchists, communists, and conspiracy theorists will find a way to segue the topic of the video to suit their agenda. And, yes, a lot of them are trolls just posting to invoke a reaction, because history has shown just how much of a reaction inflammatory YouTube comments attract, but others truly stand by their beliefs and want a flamewar just to get their message across.

Comment

What I get a kick out of are those who take offense at innocent comments. There's this video of the inside of a cruise ship during a storm; tables and people flying all over the place. It's pretty funny, but some according to a few sanctimonious douches, I am a horrible person for even considering this funny.

Also, don't get me started on those who just insult people for no reason over things that have nothing to do with the conversation. Like those who assume to know that someone is a literal mother fucker in response to a comment about pizza.

Lastly, FUCK THE GRAMMAR NAZIS. You know the ones, they find one error in someone's spelling or punctuation and suddenly that person is some total dumbass who couldn't get past the second grade. I think some actually get offended over bad spelling, as if someone making a typo affects them personally. It's very tempting to respond to them with even more errors and drive them into some OCD frenzy, but I know better than to bother with them.

Comment

Bad grammar drives me to insanity, but I consider it rude to correct it in an attempt to discredit someone. I mean, come on--we all know what the commenter meant, so it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Food Lady View Post
          Bad grammar drives me to insanity, but I consider it rude to correct it in an attempt to discredit someone. I mean, come on--we all know what the commenter meant, so it's fine.
          I will ignore bad grammar when it's obvious that the person is just typing casually.

However, I will not be able to resist correcting someone who is using poor grammar to belittle someone else. It's just too easy to pass up.

IE;

You're a *** idiot. It's "your dog", not "you're dog." You should really learn some proper grammer.

Me: *grammar

Comment

I was reading an interview with Stevie Nicks online a bit ago and someone commented I. DO NOT. CARE. ABOUT. STEVIE. NICKS. and someone else asked why she was reading the article, then? Seriously, I actually do. not. care. if. you. care. about. Stevie. Nicks.

Comment

Don't tell Misty Day that!

Comment

Originally posted by Food Lady View Post
                I was reading an interview with Stevie Nicks online a bit ago and someone commented I. DO NOT. CARE. ABOUT. STEVIE. NICKS. and someone else asked why she was reading the article, then? Seriously, I actually do. not. care. if. you. care. about. Stevie. Nicks.
                Why *do* so many people go to stories on subjects they claim to have no interest in to post comments about how tired they are of seeing stories on that topic and how much they don't care? (When I see articles I'm not interested in, I don't read them, but maybe that's just me being weird.)
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  Why *do* so many people go to stories on subjects they claim to have no interest in to post comments about how tired they are of seeing stories on that topic and how much they don't care? (When I see articles I'm not interested in, I don't read them, but maybe that's just me being weird.)
                  There are also those who complain about the mere presence of the discussion. They'll go in and complain about how stupid a discussion is. Then people will make the mistake of feeding the troll and call said troll out and before you know it, the whole thread errupts into insults and pointless image board memes.

Though I will admit that the "don't feed the troll" folks can be just as annoying by demanding that people don't respond to a "troll" thread (someone who has a different opinion).

Comment

Anytime I see someone who is discriminating against other people on YouTube, I report them. I don't comment much, but I do report.

Comment

Working...
                    X