another jury duty summons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another jury duty summons

Got one of these in the mail today, and find it really odd that the selection is "supposed" to be random, but from 2004 on, I've been summoned roughly every two years, and it's always for the October-January time period.

I wouldn't mind serving as much if my employer paid part-timers while on jury duty, because I definitely can't afford to lose that much out of my paycheck. (and admittedly, because of the legal situation my daughter's been through, I've got issues with our lcourt system)

I wish they'd called me instead. Or, rather, that your area hadn't called you and mine had called me.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I've gotten summonses quite a lot, but only ever been required to go in once.

And that one time, I was the next to last person dismissed. I kind of had fun watching the low fruit get picked off. It was fairly obvious which ones were going to go first. I was also pretty sure I'd be kicked, too.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've had to show up every time I've been summoned, although sometimes I didn't have to go in until the afternoon. (fortunately, my mom was able to give me a ride those times, because calling after 11:30 and having to be at the courthouse by 1:00 doesn't work with the bus schedules in my area)

Comment

My mother had jury duty a couple of months ago, but was unable to go do to health problems. She even got a doctors note, but they wanted more and she didn't hear back when she gave them more info. She eventually just said fuck it and stayed home. Haven't heard back from them though.

Comment

Out of my entire "close" family (this extends to my actual aunts/uncles/cousins, not distant relatives), only 2 of us have had the misfortune to be summoned for jury duty (the names are drawn from the state/federal electoral rolls): my dad and one of my aunts. I believe my dad managed to get out of it on financial grounds, not sure about my aunt (who has arthritis in her hands and knees)

Comment

Originally posted by KellyHabersham View Post
              I wouldn't mind serving as much if my employer paid part-timers while on jury duty, because I definitely can't afford to lose that much out of my paycheck. (and admittedly, because of the legal situation my daughter's been through, I've got issues with our lcourt system)
              Hmm, sounds like you apply for the financial hardship exit clause. Basically if the loss of income (because the courts pay a negligible amount) makes it hard to be a hardship you can appeal the selection. Worst case scenario is your appeal gets rejected and then on the day you are to appear you can point out during the selection process that you lack faith in the court system due to your daughter's problems. You'll get rejected quite quickly due to your bias and you'll lose at worst a day's pay.

Comment

So far, I've never been picked. And from what my one friend told me, it's quite possible that I never will. I have a lot of strong opinions that I'm sure would make me less than impartial in their eyes. My friend got picked once, but after she filled out the questionnaire, they not only did not pick her, but never called her in again. She thinks it was the part where she told them she does not trust the police that did it.

I did get a notification that I was "on call" for jury duty a few years back, for a month. I never got a call, so that was as far as it went.

My wife got called in once, but she didn't get picked. One of the people they did pick was a woman who was extremely pregnant, which I think was unbelievably stupid. Even if she wasn't due for another month or so, my son popped out six weeks early. If that would happen in the middle of the trial, they'd have to replace her and start over.

My grandma served on one case, during one of the summers I spent there as a teenager. The case was over someone shooting his neighbor's pet duck. The duck had to be referred by its name, which was "Quacker", throughout the trial. She said the whole thing was a joke, and even the judge had trouble keeping a straight face.
                --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I've never been chosen, but I know I'd have a hard time hearing an especially heinous trial. There was recently a murder victim in the news of a 19 year old woman burned alive, and I know if they caught the perpetrator and I was on the jury, I'd have a really hard time containing myself after hearing testimony.

The chances of getting picked for trials like that are very rare, though. I'd probably get a duck case like MadMike's grandmother, and still have trouble containing myself, but for a different reason.

Comment

Back in the day before localities started using things like Drivers License/State ID info, voter registration info and other info available to the government, my late Father used to get called (for a whole week back then) about every two years. He usually planned part of his vacation time around Jury duty.

Me I have been "called" twice in the last 13 years. These are week long on-call type situation. You call the night before to see if your group is needed. IF so you go to the courthouse for a case. If not you are free for the next day. They do this for 4 days straight Monday - Thursday.

Now they pull info from everywhere for info to get Jury pools.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                      If that would happen in the middle of the trial, they'd have to replace her and start over.
                      Nope, wouldn't happen. In addition to the 12 jurors, they also pick 5 alternates. Which is more about discarding everybody else other than the 17 they keep. Either way, they can lose up to 5 different jurors without endangering the trial.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You must be getting mine, Kelly.

I'm 36, have been driving since I was 16, voting since 18. ETA: Also live in a county of almost a million people, so not a sparse area.

I haven't only not gotten called for jury duty, I never even got notification of the possibility of being called. Not one time.
                        Last edited by Lachrymose; 12-14-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I have never been contacted for jury duty, and if I ever do get contacted I am pretty sure that I would not be selected. Why? Between my mental illness and distaste for the court system I'd be bounced out of the jury selection. Works for me.

Comment

I only seem to get called up when I move. The last time I moved was 15 years ago.

I hope I don't get called soon, but, it's highly unlikely I'd ever be selected to be part of a Jury. Way too many opinions to be impartial.

Comment

I've only been called for jury duty once. I tried every excuse I could think of to try and get out of it--saying that I hate lawyers, that I cannot be fair or impartial, etc. to no avail.

Comment

Working...
                              X