people who don't understand satire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people who don't understand satire

Satire-the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

The onion is satire, the spudd is satire, empire news is libel.

I'm getting really tired of seeing crap on supposed "satire" websites that's really nothing more than fanfiction "news reporting".

Current one(being spammed on facebook/twitter) I'm not going to link to but it claims a former child actor has been arrested and charged with murder due to an altercation a few weeks ago. It's written with fake quotes purported to be from actual police officials. Satire is funny, this trash is pure defamation(oh but they have a disclaimer, that says they aren't liable for what they publish, so it's ok )

Sorry saying it's "satire" when it's really not just makes you look like a damn twatwafle.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

I never understood the "humor" in Empire News, and it always annoyed me naive people would start posting articles from there as if it were real news.

Heck, I even find Weekly World News to be more entertaining than Empire News. At least they write about fake characters that have brief stints on Off-Broadway.

Comment

People forget that, while good satire will seem believable at first glance, a through reading or viewing will have something so over the top and usually a goofily fake name or something similar that tells you that it is a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        I never understood the "humor" in Empire News, and it always annoyed me naive people would start posting articles from there as if it were real news.

Heck, I even find Weekly World News to be more entertaining than Empire News. At least they write about fake characters that have brief stints on Off-Broadway.
        I've never heard of Empire News, but I just looked it up. None of the headlines posted look remotely funny.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew B View Post
          People forget that, while good satire will seem believable at first glance, a through reading or viewing will have something so over the top and usually a goofily fake name or something similar that tells you that it is a fake.
          Such as the Onion newspaper page for the start of The War (since until 1939 there was no such thing as the *FIRST* World War). One sub-headline was "Ottoman Empire nearly declares war on itself".

Comment

Working...
          X