Workplace Pickassery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace Pickassery

You know, there's a lot of bullshit that for my own sanity, I've decided that I can't give a shit about, but that doesn't stop people in my workplace from obsessing over.

For instance, in my review, it was mentioned that there were 3 minutes between the time I clocked in that day and the time it took me to get to my station. Now, this wasn't made into a huge deal, but the fact that I was asked about it in the first place was puzzling to me. I don't even think I took that long, but even if I did, it's just 3 minutes.

There's also the case of the obsessive coworker I bitched about on CS. Basically, she's obsessed with how neatly the shelves are aligned and even chewed me out for missing a few places where they weren't perfect (it's the children's book area of a library during open hours! What do you expect?).

Those are just a few examples of this. I can't even call this a thing I hate, I just find it amusing.

I love the pure irony and the pot calling the kettle black at work.

My shift lead is about the most useless person alive, especially at that particular job. He can't lead anyone and he does nothing all day but fumble around and ponder. He leaves extra work for the next shift, so the next shift gets snippy with us. Well, we can't be insubordinate to him, and the boss doesn't care that he does that. Don't ask me why.

But he'll be the first to tell us that "time is of the essence!" and "We don't have all day!", as he trots to the breakroom to take a 30 minute (supposed to be 15 minute) break and ambles around confused the rest of the shift.

Then there's GreaseBall shift lead from Inspection Department, who, on top of barely ever showering or washing her hair....does nothing her entire shift but sit in the big chairs in the break room playing on her phone. Then comes stomping into the drill room yelling at us that she needs our orders done because the FedEx truck will be here in two hours.

Comment

What I hate the most when I get told to ask for help and then either get mocked, insulted, or told to go away when I ask. The worst part is I'm not a programmer but I'm expected to be one most of the time. When I ask others for help they, think I should know the answer already. If I knew what the answer was, would I be asking you for the answer?
      "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I got the "told to go away" treatment a bit during my first year at my last job, I had down time due to the specifics of the job and I would ask if they needed help in the department before mine, I help them get ahead, I get the stuff I need to finish and I'm also productive.

One guy would just yell me out of the room that I considered stopping asking. After one such GTFO I was busying myself elsewhere and called by a supervisor and told off for not helping out as they were now swamped. I told him that 10 minutes prior I offered to help but was "repeat verbatim."

He didn't say "Nah it's cool, we got this." or "I'll call you if I need you." nope it was pure and simple GTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by tabbyblack13 View Post
          What I hate the most when I get told to ask for help and then either get mocked, insulted, or told to go away when I ask. The worst part is I'm not a programmer but I'm expected to be one most of the time. When I ask others for help they, think I should know the answer already. If I knew what the answer was, would I be asking you for the answer?
          Had to work with the perfectionist coworker today and she expected me to know how to do everything right away. She got snippy when I wasn't sure where some cart went and acted like I should just know these things (even though I'm still trying to remember everything). She did the 20 questions thing where she tells me I'm supposed to do something, but won't tell me what it is and expects me to know (I. Fucking. Hate. That. SO MUCH!!!!).

While I admit I'm slow learning things and can fumble at times, I haven't had much of an opportunity to work. As a result, some things are still new to me, and I need time to learn them. What I don't need are these pickass coworkers acting as if I'm steeling time by taking a few extra minutes. And I also don't need every fucking mistake I'm about to make pointed out to me, especially when I'm already getting told by my manager that I need to step up a notch.

Comment

Are they deliberately setting you up to fail, though? That could explain the conflicting demands.

Comment

^

I've considered that. I don't think the manager wants me out, but I'm pretty sure annoying coirker does. I could tell she's always had a problem with me for some reason.

Comment

Every time you have a conflicting demand, bring it up.

Don't let them force you to make that decision; you don't make the 'big bucks' so you shouldn't be expected to make the 'bid decisions' either.
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                  ^

I've considered that. I don't think the manager wants me out, but I'm pretty sure annoying coirker does. I could tell she's always had a problem with me for some reason.
                  To hazard a wild guess, she could see you as a threat to her position/"power." If she doesn't see to it that you get the information you need to do your job, she can complain and accuse you of being incompetent, despite her "best efforts" (after all, she's always talking to you, so she must be training you!...Right? ) -- If so, she's likely been telling the higher-ups how hard she's been working to drive the information into your skull, but you're "just not getting it"...Probably not the first person she's done it to, either.

Just a theory, of course.
                  "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
                  "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

^

That wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact, I suspect she's pulled this shit in the past. I remember when I was starting out and had just finished a cart. I still had 20 minutes or so to work so I went in the sorting room. She was there and told me to get out and go shelve DVDs. Turns out the DVDs are for volunteers and since I was getting paid, I wasn't supposed to be shelving those. I got a talking to about it (and a few other newbie mistakes I was making) and I guess she complained about me... despite being the one who told me to work in the DVDs.

Also, when she pulled that thing where she wouldn't tell me where the cart goes, another helpful coworker was about to say something before pickass told her to shut up. Apparently, I was supposed to know this stuff on my own.

Yeah, this is well beyond pickassery and into straight up pettiness. She's the only part of the job I despise.

Comment

Well, then. When you have a question, ask her.

Then, when she fails to give you any sort of useful answer, go over her head (or sideways, it doesn't particularly matter) and explain that you asked a question, but she wasn't able to provide the answer you needed so you asked the next person in line.

This has to be done carefully, such that you're not seen as being petty and ratting out her obstructionism while still pointing it out to people who might be able to get things working properly. Maybe frame it like she was too busy with her own work to give you a useful reply or the like.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^

I'll do that next time for sure (or I'll just remember to look in the manual). Though I don't think it will be a problem since I'm not scheduled to be trained under her anymore. Unfortunately, that doesn't always stop her from being a pain in my ass. Next time she complains to me, I'll just tell her to take it to my manager. Since she's the only one I've had who's outright criticized me, I doubt my manager will back her up on this. (and fuck the job if I'm wrong).

Comment

Working...
                        X