User Unfriendly Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    Also, why didn't you bookmark the location? Relying on history is just begging for trouble.
    Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    That *is* the sort of thing that ought to be provided in a place easy to find even without a bookmark; otherwise, how would you get it in the first place to bookmark it?
    Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    yeah, this isn't a technology fail- it's a combination of user fail ( you really should have that page bookmarked) and work fail for not providing an easily-accessible link.
    And if OP *HAD* bookmarked the location and lost it due to a hard drive crash/malware, would you be blaming them for not bookmarking on multiple machines? Technology fails - if someone will need to get to a particular website on a regular basis, those who mandate the need have a responsibility to make it easy to get to, so that local storage (whether bookmark or history) is a convenience rather than a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
      And if OP *HAD* bookmarked the location and lost it due to a hard drive crash/malware, would you be blaming them for not bookmarking on multiple machines?
      No, because that's absurd.

At that point, the IT should have the system backup to restore him to the condition he was in prior to the crash, and if not, then it's an IT issue, not a user issue.

I speak from recent unpleasant experience here. Apparently our IT guy (one guy, only comes in 1 day a week) didn't understand how to back up Firefox, and I lost all of my bookmarks when he had to re-install Windows 8 (ugh) because it was causing a backup failure. I now back that shit up to the cloud; at least what can be backed up without releasing my Firefox password to the same service.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
        And if OP *HAD* bookmarked the location and lost it due to a hard drive crash/malware, would you be blaming them for not bookmarking on multiple machines? Technology fails - if someone will need to get to a particular website on a regular basis, those who mandate the need have a responsibility to make it easy to get to, so that local storage (whether bookmark or history) is a convenience rather than a necessity.
        Of course not, because what you quoted of mine says just the opposite.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
        X