Those who belittle others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who belittle others.

I'm not talking about those who get really angry, lash out, say hurtful things, and then apologize after realizing they've been an ass (though I certainly don't condone the behavior). It's the ones who are so convinced they are right in belittling others who I'm beginning to despise. The ones who won't apologize for 'telling it like it is', when 'telling it like it is' is basically telling someone they fail at life.

What's discouraging is that I'm noticing a lot of people I know engage in this kind of crap; friends, family, and even trained professionals who should know better. You try to tell them that they are not helping, but they won't listen and instead continue on the offensive.

Now, I'm not saying that you should never criticize or that some people aren't over sensitive. There are a lot of times to criticize, and some people take ANY criticism as a huge insult. But since the majority of people aren't complete monsters, it's possible to frame the criticism in a way that says 'this is how you can improve' instead of 'you just suck'. And you don't even have to be PC about it.

For me a trigger point is when someone makes a spectacle over something you know you messed up. If I break dishes while cleaning, I know I shouldn't have done that, I am just as upset as anyone else in that room. What's done is done, and all I can do now is throw out the pieces and move on. Telling me how much of a clumsy oaf I am or telling me how bad breaking dishes are is not helping, and trust me: I am already upset at myself for it. I don't need someone else to yell at me about it.

Comment

I can be guilty of hammering my parents on their lack of cleanliness around the house or my brother's inability to plan anything, but I hate when people nitpick the slightest things people do, even if someone has noted it and is trying to stop or improve.

I hate being picked at for being "so loud" or laughing too much or getting too excited or being too perverted or being too jittery. I fucking have anxiety, people like you make it even worse. Between medication and just trying my best every day, you're lucky you don't get a blanket party.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        For me a trigger point is when someone makes a spectacle over something you know you messed up. If I break dishes while cleaning, I know I shouldn't have done that, I am just as upset as anyone else in that room. What's done is done, and all I can do now is throw out the pieces and move on. Telling me how much of a clumsy oaf I am or telling me how bad breaking dishes are is not helping, and trust me: I am already upset at myself for it. I don't need someone else to yell at me about it.
        This pretty much sums me up 100%. Someone chews me out for being late when I already KNOW I screwed up and I will break down.

Comment

Or they ask me "why did you do such and such", like you deliberately made a mistake? It's such a stupid question that I don't know how I'd answer without being extremely sarcastic.

Comment

Working...
          X