Anything followed by the word gate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything followed by the word gate...

Shirtgate, gamergate, dickbuttgate just shove it already.
    If it didn't happen at the Watergate or near an actual gate don't add gate to the title you unimaginative journalists.
    I almost want to go Samuel L. Jackson on them, pulp fiction style for it sometimes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wEnb9yIoes
    Say gate one more time...
    Seriously enough already.

... to add to that... Anything-mageddon or anything-pocalypse can go diaf, too... >_>
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sometimes, there's just nothing to do but agree.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's a gatepocalypse on -gate scandals lately.

And I agree with all three of the portmanteau word types mentioned in this thread. Very briefly they might have been 'cute'; but now it's just lazy sensationalist writing that's very tiring.

Comment

At this point I'm fairly certain most journalism died before I was born and perhaps has not been seen anywhere other than a comic book.
          Today we get so called reporters fear-mongering, plugging for some corporation or otherwise just pushing their own agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by MournBlade View Post
            Shirtgate, gamergate, dickbuttgate just shove it already.
            If it didn't happen at the Watergate or near an actual gate don't add gate to the title you unimaginative journalists.
            I personally can't stand it, however I do wonder if it's because they don't know or understand the significance of the Watergate hotel(or that it was an actual place that the scandal took place at) and think "it was named because it was a scandal that opened the floodgates"

I still hate it, and if that is the reason I hate it more.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Admittedly it makes me hope for a major scandal involving Microsoft and/or Bill. :P

In a similar vein I'm a bit tired of seeing fictional city names ending in "-polis." I only just recently noticed that one of the city's in Pokémon's Hoenn region is called "Sootopolis City."

So, that'd translate as "Sooto City City," right?
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

hey now leave stargate alone.

but yeah honestly it's really stupid to hear and the word has now lost any of the original impact, most people using the term probably don't even know what gamergate was.

Comment

I hated the big "snowpocalypse" this year, if only because I really wanted it to be called apocsnowlypse."
                  "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                  We are contented, because he says we are
                  He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                    Today we get so called reporters fear-mongering, plugging for some corporation or otherwise just pushing their own agenda.
                    And one media outlet has taken it to court (and won) demanding the right to tout blatant falsehoods as fact. I wonder if people who watch Fair and Balanced(tm) news coverage do so while eating a Kosher for Passover(tm) bacon cheeseburger.

Comment

I really, really want there to be a "truth in advertising" claim against news programs that tout themselves as "news" when they're actually providing propaganda... >_>
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I will admit, I'll use terms like that around work or I'll take words thrown in our faces and use them to mock or disparage management, but it's not my actual style to cutsie-pooh or media-make everything into a big deal.

(examples being like on CS, I constantly refer to what we went through at work this past year as Extreme Makeover to disparage management, it's actually called Three Year Plan, I'll sometimes use that too, and singsong mock them by telling coworkers "This is a three year plan, WE DO NOT ALTER THE PLAN!")

But on the whole, I do agree those terms are extremely annoying, but you gotta understand that media, and those in it, are supposed to cater to the majority, and the majority are usually sheep.

My biggest beef is always with the weather people, as I've made a thread about it before. They just mock and bait and think they are so cute and funny with their quips about "Ohh Ohh No No! Don't put the shovels away yet!" or "Enjoy today, tomorrow there are BIG CHANGES as the arctic blast returns! Teeheheehe!"

Comment

Don't forget Janet Jackson's Nipplegate

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting tired of all this Snow coverage in general. Yes, there are snow storms coming. It's Winter. That's what happens. Sure it's a lot of it.

But that's no reason to interrupt TV for a lot of "Yup, there's white stuff coming down." stories.

My CBS feeds are from Boston, and Judge Judy is in the 4PM Eastern slot. In the past few weeks, it's gotten to the point that my Boston Snow coverage is rarely interrupted by an episode of Judge Judy. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                            X