Are Hypocrites Aware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Hypocrites Aware?

....and mayhaps I have used too harsh of a word, as I don't think everyone's little quirks are as severe to deserve such labels.

But I think you all know who I am referring to. The people who can dish it but can't take it. To any level, on any level. Whether they are the person who will tell you to do something, but you don't dare ever tell them what to do, even if you're just suggesting "Well, maybe you should try Target instead of Wal-Mart". The person who says "DON'T SAY THAT WORD IN FRONT OF ME!" regarding any and all words like Retarded and all racial slurs, but only listens to music that has that N word in it and constantly refers to treating woman like shit and doing drugs....while simultaneously telling your girlfriend that you don't like her listening to Juicy J and Tyga

The people who think they are never wrong, but can go on until they are blue in the face on how wreckless, irresponsible, stupid, slobby, trashy, whatever, someone else is.

Do you think people are aware that they have no concept of the Golden Rule? Or that they don't care? Or were just raised that way?

Personally, I can't figure out how anyone can live with themselves being that bassackwards. It's almost offensive how they'll criticize or hash it out to others at times, yet the slightest....perceived slight against them, and they are after you because how dare you! They'll nitpick the hell out of anyone, but you don't dare ever find a fault or suggestion with them.

Kind of like the "pranksters" who think it's funny to do something that is pretty much destruction of property or home invasion, but if anyone ever did something like that to them, they'd sue for everything that person was worth for damages and mental pain.

I know several "self aware" hypocrites, however they just don't give a shit.
    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

To expand on Sarah, I've found there are two types of hypocrites. Ones who, if called out on it, realize it and try to fix it. The fact is, everyone has been or is a hypocrite in one way or another. There's no avoiding it because a lot of times when we've wronged someone, we had the best of intentions and don't realize what we did until it's pointed out. For me, one of the worst things I can ever be called is a hypocrite, because I hold my values and opinions dear and wish to validate them by living them as much as I can. If I find I can't live by the very values I preach, then I must reevaluate them. Those who realize their own faults and hypocrisy and try to fix them are perfectly fine by my book, because they are sincerely trying to adopt a code of ethics and values in their lives, instead of forcing an opinion of "how everyone else should act" while ignoring those very opinions upon themselves because they are too important to follow them, or what they are doing is different because of some flawed justification that wouldn't work on anyone else.

Those group of people are of the second type. They don't give a shit because they think they are always right. They have a true holier-than-thou attitude towards everything and believe rules are for everyone else but them, even if they made the rules. I've heard them non-ironically or sarcastically saying, "Do as I say, not as I do" as if it's a valid phrase. When called out, they dismiss it with either, "So what?" or "Well, this is different because when I did it, it was for a good cause."

Comment

Have you tried throttling this person? I know it probably won't solve anything but you'd feel a bit better.

Comment

First of all, GREAT topic.

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
          But I think you all know who I am referring to. The people who can dish it but can't take it. To any level, on any level. Whether they are the person who will tell you to do something, but you don't dare ever tell them what to do, even if you're just suggesting "Well, maybe you should try Target instead of Wal-Mart".
          Regarding this, I would say that there are some among us (probably more than we may think) who have difficulty being "wrong". This is part of what CS is all about, especially with the false "Customer is Always Right" thing. we form an opinion, dig in our heels, and occasionally hurl insults at those who don't think like we do.

The person who says "DON'T SAY THAT WORD IN FRONT OF ME!" regarding any and all words like Retarded and all racial slurs, but only listens to music that has that N word in it and constantly refers to treating woman like shit and doing drugs....while simultaneously telling your girlfriend that you don't like her listening to Juicy J and Tyga
          Ah, self-righteousness. I think we all suffer from it from time to time. You do bring up an interesting point, though. What if you're talking about car engines? Is it OK to use retarded then, as in "I retarded the spark 5º"? Seems based on what you're saying that you're also referencing a double-standard. "It's OK for me (in a general sense) to do this, but not you."

I've mentioned a cousin of mine on here before, speaking of self-righteousness. She recently posted something on her FB page about "too many baby mamas, too many baby daddys, not enough families", or some crap like that. All the while, she's never been married, and has two kids by two different men.

She also wonders aloud why people would lie about her, when she has openly and blatantly lied about others in the past.

The people who think they are never wrong, but can go on until they are blue in the face on how wreckless, irresponsible, stupid, slobby, trashy, whatever, someone else is.

Do you think people are aware that they have no concept of the Golden Rule? Or that they don't care? Or were just raised that way?
          I was on a sports forum like that. One of the posters HAD to be right about everything, and if you called him on it, or pointed out his narcissistic behavior, he'd immediately throw it back at you, and say you were the one being narcissistic. Then he'd claim you were just a poor debater, and that his logic and debating skills were iron-clad, and he ONLY presents arguments he knows he can win. He would actually move the goal posts a lot, though, to keep from losing arguments.

What he fails to realize is that a good debater should be able to debate either side of an argument.

To a point, though, I think some are unaware, and some just don't care.

Personally, I can't figure out how anyone can live with themselves being that bassackwards. It's almost offensive how they'll criticize or hash it out to others at times, yet the slightest....perceived slight against them, and they are after you because how dare you! They'll nitpick the hell out of anyone, but you don't dare ever find a fault or suggestion with them.
          It's self-justification. I think we've all done it to a point. It's like saying, "People shouldn't speed, but I'm going to because everyone else is."

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
            Ah, self-righteousness. I think we all suffer from it from time to time. You do bring up an interesting point, though. What if you're talking about car engines? Is it OK to use retarded then, as in "I retarded the spark 5º"? Seems based on what you're saying that you're also referencing a double-standard. "It's OK for me (in a general sense) to do this, but not you."
            When you're saying "Don't say X" there's an assumption of context. When one says "you shouldn't use the word retard or retarded" it's intended to be short for, "When referring to learning disabilities you shouldn't use the term retard or retarded, nor should you use the term disparagingly to describe another person or object"

The use of the term retard for mechanics or musicians is outside of that realm. They aren't using the term in this way, but rather using the term in a technical context. Same would be for "negro" to describe a black person versus "negro" to translate "black" to spanish. You aren't a hypocrite if you're actually using the term correctly.

Originally posted by mjr
            I was on a sports forum like that.
            I didn't have to read the rest of that paragraph. Sports forums are almost always going to have the most banal and inane flamewars from trolls and ignorant people. I love football but I often get frustrated by fellow sports fans on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
              I didn't have to read the rest of that paragraph. Sports forums are almost always going to have the most banal and inane flamewars from trolls and ignorant people. I love football but I often get frustrated by fellow sports fans on the internet.
              This pretty much goes for any enthusiast forum. I'm sure even the model train forums are full of people proselytizing the merits of the one true gauge... >_>
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

God forbid you say you don't like Sonic, those fans can be insane

Comment

Originally posted by Tama View Post
                  God forbid you say you don't like Sonic, those fans can be insane
                  The restaurant, or the Hedgehog??

Comment

The hedgehog, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      This pretty much goes for any enthusiast forum. I'm sure even the model train forums are full of people proselytizing the merits of the one true gauge... >_>
                      I would say by far the worst are audiophiles. They simply can't fathom the idea of anyone believing their favorite brand of speakers are not the best.

Comment

I would say by far the worst are audiophiles. They simply can't fathom the idea of anyone believing their favorite brand of speakers are not the best.
                        Considering that sports fanatics have gone so far as to kill one another and even members of the team they follow for not doing well enough, I suspect they hold that title.
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Those group of people are of the second type. They don't give a shit because they think they are always right. They have a true holier-than-thou attitude towards everything and believe rules are for everyone else but them, even if they made the rules. I've heard them non-ironically or sarcastically saying, "Do as I say, not as I do" as if it's a valid phrase. When called out, they dismiss it with either, "So what?" or "Well, this is different because when I did it, it was for a good cause."
                          I'm not sure if they really believe they're right though. A lot of the time, when I (even nicely) tell someone that it annoys me when they do X, they act all offended and try to make themselves look like the victim. Expecting me to come around and take back what I said instead of simply trying not to do X.

There's also the ones who try to dig up dirt and find any instance where you were anything other than a saint to 'level the playing field'. It's frustrating because they can easily turn it around and make you the hypocrite by pointing out every mistake you made. So anyone who's trying to defend themselves can end up looking like a hypocrite.

It's making me realize that "don't feed the trolls" is just as applicable (if not more) IRL.

Comment

Or people who don't have it as bad as you do, and are always invalidating your feelings, but if something inconveniences them or doesn't go their way, all of a sudden, they are flippant.

I know a lot of you are sick of me going on about it, but I am again. Overtime. It's to the point at my job that people are almost not allowed to plan anything on the weekends, because we don't know until Fridays most weeks if we have to work that weekend or not. A lot of people like me have skipped a time or two if we had long term plans already, but there's also overtime during the week (stay late, come in early), and it keeps a lot of people from making appointments and whatnot. It's probably one of the reasons a lot of people are going to be walking soon, I really don't doubit it. But anywho...

If you complain to anyone, they say "I don't let work rule my life!" (this person's area is almost NEVER on overtime, they just get their dandy 40 hours a week and their whole weekend), or "Well, I wouldn't be working ANY weekends on that short notice!" (We don't want to, but we can't skip every time, eventually you do get written up) or they'll say "I just make my plans and work has to deal with it!" (once again, they don't HAVE to do any overtime)

Then the one time their area gets hit with OT......watch out!

Comment

blas,

What is the overtime for? I mean, is it because of large orders, because management is sadistic? Poor planning/foresight? What's going on?

I also can't figure out why they wait until Friday to tell you if you have to work the weekend or not.

I'm asking because there are numerous articles out there that illustrate that working beyond 40 hours is actually counter-productive.

Here are a few. Maybe you could use them to get some change in your workplace, if your management is open to change, of course.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...k-less/375763/

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/pro...urs-today.html

http://www.alternet.org/story/154518...eep_our_sanity

http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/...s-useless.html

http://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/st...rs-a-week.html

http://cs.stanford.edu/people/erober...ductivity.html

Comment

Working...
                              X