Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bureaucracy: Making simple things 100 times more difficult since 1955.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bureaucracy: Making simple things 100 times more difficult since 1955.

About a month ago, I had participated in an online survey. Though it was completed in 2 days, it was set up like a message board (you could do it at your own leisure). The reward was 3000 swagbucks (about 30 bucks) so it was well worth the time and kind of fun to complete.

But there was a catch, they wouldn't credit you the swagbucks until they process it which could take 4-6 weeks max! Now, a little wait time was understandable seeing how the survey was from a third party research company. But I still think 4-6 weeks was ridiculous. It should not take that long, especially for online credits. I was beginning to fear that they had forgotten about me and had emailed them after waiting 3 weeks. To my surprise, when I logged onto swagbucks that same night, I saw 3000 in my account (which makes me think they had forgotten about me until I emaild them back).

But I still needed to exchange the swagbucks; and wanting cash, I chose the $25 paypal giftcard option. They were specific about how my swagbucks account name should match my paypal account holder name. I checked and lo and behold, on my paypal account, my middle name was where my last name should be. I try to fix this, but paypal wanted proof I was who I said I was. I scanned them a picture of my bank card and drivers license and after waiting a day, got an email back saying they needed me to confirm what name I wanted it changed to (even though it was, RIGHT THERE ON THE FUCKING CARD).

So I end up waiting another day for them just to change a name error (something that wouldn't have taken that long had they just let me do it manually). But oh well, I can redeem the card and get my money, right?

WRONG!!

They need 7 to 10 business days to process it! This brings me to this morning, 5 days after I had redeemed my swagbucks for the paypal money. I get an email from swagbucks telling me that I need to verify my order within the next 48 hours or I my order will be canceled (though I'll get my swagbucks back, it would mean even more waiting to redo the order). I send in a support ticket letting them know that I already verified the order and get an automated email back letting me know that I'll get a response in 3-5 business days.

So to recap

-They want me to verify an order I already verified within 2 days.
    -They won't get back to me until 3-5.
    -I had already dicked around with paypal making a simple name correction into a big production.
    -That was after waiting 3 weeks just to get the damn swagbucks.
    -And now, even if everything goes peachy this time, I'm still going to have to wait for them to transfer the money to my bank.

I don't desperately need the money or anything, but it would be nice to have. More importantly, it shouldn't be this much of a hassle to get 25 freakin' dollars.
    Last edited by Rageaholic; 06-01-2015, 05:48 AM. Reason: Small word change.

I wouldn't really *want* it to be easier than that to change the name on my Paypal account, all things considered. The "YOU have to contact US immediately, but WE'LL take our sweet time getting back to YOU" thing is aggravating, though.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I actually had to set up a PayPal account specifically for Swagbucks, I didn't realize it would take so long to do! Once that was set up, I had to go through the verification process (which is lengthy as well, for ALL point redemptions), and something I've noticed is that PayPal deposits tend to go through faster than gift card purchases. I'll usually have money in PayPal within one or two business days, gift cards take about five.

Comment

actually, I'm fairly sure bureaucracy has been a problem for far longer than 1955.

to be fair though, it probably SHOULD be difficult to change the name on a paypal account. (juts like I'm somewhat glad it'd been a PITA for me to update my card details w/paypal when my card expired.I don't want someone using my card online w/o my permission. )

Comment

The name change thing was just one of many things that was frustrating. I still think that in particular case, they should have just let me change it as it was such a simple error. I also don't see why it should take them two days to change my name. Well, it would have taken one day, but they needed my name despite it being on the cards I sent them (and I'm pretty sure I explained what I wanted changed in a previous email).

That's another thing, why does everything need to be confirmed 2-3 times? Buying the order should be verification enough. I had already done so when I was told I needed to verify it to be sure. And now, not even that's enough. There was something similar at work too. We had this thing where after clocking out, we needed to click some check box to confirm it. Clicking the "CLOCK OUT" button isn't enough? We don't do that anymore though.

Comment

This is one reason I don't use swagbucks. They take waaaaaaaaay too long to pay out. I want my money in under a week, thanks. :P

Comment

Swagbucks is a mixed bag for me. I like that there's a lot of variety in what you can do to earn swagbucks and what you can spend them on (I usually do cheap things like the daily poll to buy a few entries into that 25000 swagbucks lottery), but a lot of what they offer either requires making purchases, signing up for random sites, or installing some weird software. I also don't like having to watch 10 videos just for 2-4 swagbucks.

Comment

Instagc is about as bad--they added their own video section but almost every video is 2+ minutes, and 99% of these videos have ads in front like on youtube. And you need to watch FIVE of these to get ONE stinking penny!

Comment

So I got an email back apologizing for the mix up. They said that it was verified 2 days ago (not true, I verified it Tuesday last week). Now I get to wait 10 more business days just for the damn thing to show up in "my gift cards".

-First of all, I hate the term "Business days".
                  -Second of all, I hope they don't mean 10 business days from today or from 2 days ago when they claimed it was verified.
                  -Lastly, if it does show up in my gift cards, it better mean I get the money instantly because I am tired of waiting. If that's not the case, then there is no excuse for this. There is no reason I should have to wait this long for a digital product. Heck, you'd think by 2015, they'd have find a way to do this stuff automatically.

Also, why does it have to be a "gift card"? Why not just give me the money? I'm sure it's the same thing, but less of a pain in everyone's ass.

Comment

They probably give out gift cards, because it's less of a headache than just paying you. the latter requires far greater reporting and paperwork requirements, for one.
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

So I got an email from swagbucks today...

My giftcard is ready! All I had to to was click on some code thing and it was automatically credited to my paypal account without hassle.

This is a very pleasant surprise after all the crap I had to go through. 25 bucks never felt so good lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X