Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who "apologize" with "If I offended you..."

It's dumb.

If you have to make a public apology, you obviously offended somebody!!

Suck it up and say, "I realize that my comments/actions/whatever were inappropriate, and to those I offended, I apologize."

Saying "If I offended you..." or "If you were offended..." sounds an awful lot like a non-apology to me.

it's not- it's usually a passive-agressive way of indicating that you apologize for causing offense- but not for the statement itself. ( in other words, it can be translated as "I'm sorry you consider what I said offensive"

edit- just to make it clear, it's not an apology.

Comment

Totally not an apology.

It's more along the lines, "I'm sorry you heard the horrible thing I said, but I'm totally not sorry that I said a horrible thing."
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sometimes I'd say it depends, in part, on why they're offended. I've been told I need to apologize for wearing a fedora, buying Madden, and watching My Little Pony. Both cases, really the only thing I can apologize for is 'I'm sorry if you were offended by that...' Because I really don't think that I should need to apologize for my hat or what I do for fun.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
          It's dumb.

If you have to make a public apology, you obviously offended somebody!!

Suck it up and say, "I realize that my comments/actions/whatever were inappropriate, and to those I offended, I apologize."

Saying "If I offended you..." or "If you were offended..." sounds an awful lot like a non-apology to me.
          I dunno. Sometimes it's legit, like a worker apologizing to a customer because policy made the worker say "no".
          I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
            I dunno. Sometimes it's legit, like a worker apologizing to a customer because policy made the worker say "no".
            In this case, I agree. But I'm speaking mostly about "public figures" (politicians, news people, etc.).

Comment

in the case of a worker though, it's apologizing that you can't help them- which IS a genuine apology usually. In this case, it is situations where the apology implies that it shouldn't be necessary to apologize.

Comment

I've had to use that kind of apology before because I had NO IDEA why said person was mad at me. When suddenly someone stops talking to me and won't say why, then I have to grasp at straws and kind of assume I did something to offend them/piss them off.

Comment

Or maybe the fault lies in them not you most likely? ;P I mean really if someone just suddenly cuts you off for no apparent reason like that, you probably don't need them anyway :P

Comment

Working...
                  X